BBC Weekend News
|BBC Weekend News|
|Created by||BBC News|
|Presented by||Gavin Esler
|Theme music composer||David Lowe|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
1969-2013 BBC Television CentreStudio E, Broadcasting House, London
|Running time||5-20 minutes|
|Original network||BBC One
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||5 July 1954 – present|
|Related shows||BBC Breakfast
BBC News at One
BBC News at Six
BBC News at Ten
BBC News Summary
BBC Weekend News is the national news programmes on BBC One at a weekend and bank holidays although it is often referred to on guides simply as BBC News, or if broadcast at 1:00pm exactly, BBC News at One, 6:00pm exactly, BBC News at Six and 10:00pm exactly, BBC News at Ten. The programmes are simulcast on the BBC News Channel.
BBC weekend news airs 3 times on both Saturday and Sunday, and is also used as the title of the BBC News Channel simulcast on Sunday mornings during August when the Andrew Marr show doesn't air. The main 3 bulletins are presented in the studio in a similar format to the BBC news at ten but are shorter in length.
The lunchtime bulletin is normally at 12pm on Saturdays and 1pm on Sundays, although these times often vary, and lasts approximately 8 minutes and is immediately followed by a weather forecast on Saturday's and and extended weather forecast on Sundays.
The Early evening bulletin lasts either 10 or 15 minutes depending on scheduling and can be at any time between 5pm and 7pm (and occasionally outside these times due to sport or other live events), and is followed by regional news on both evenings.
The late bulletin contains a sports update from the BBC sports centre in Salford, and is at 10pm on Sundays and around 10pm on Saturdays depending on scheduling.
The lunchtime bulletin is normally presented by the on duty BBC News Channel presenter and normally falls during the morning News Channel shift normally presented by Gavin Esler, but on occasion falls during the afternoon shift presented by Maxine Mawhinney.
When Esler is away the bulletin may be presented by the Dateline London presenter if it immediately follows the conclusion of Dateline.
On Bank Holidays the bulletin is normally read by the on duty news channel presenter however if the immediately preceding shift was presented by a more senior presenter it may be presented by the more senior presenter.
|2015–present||Gavin Esler||Main Presenter (Morning)|
|2006–present||Maxine Mawhinney||Main Presenter (Afternoon)|
|2007–present||Nicholas Owen||Relief presenter|
The two evening bulletins are presented by the same presenter. Kate Silverton presents the bulletins on Saturdays while Mishal Husain and Clive Myrie share presenting duties on Sunday's. Myrie as well as Jane Hill and Reeta Chakrabarti present the bulletin when the regular presenter is away. The presenter of the two evening bulletins has usually been a dedicated presenter, specific to the two bulletins for that evening on BBC One, with the surrounding news presentation on the BBC News Channel being presented by another presenter.
|2008–present||Kate Silverton||Main presenter (Saturday)|
|2005–present||Mishal Husain||Main presenter (Alternate Sunday)|
|2002–present||Jane Hill||Relief presenter|
If there is no position before the years of being a presenter, then this newsreader was either a relief presenter or occasional guest stand-in presenter.
- George Alagiah (Main presenter, 1999–2002)
- Matthew Amroliwala (2003–2014)
- Michael Aspel (Main presenter, 1964–1972)
- Richard Baker (1954–1982)
- Jennie Bond (Main presenter, 1988–1993)
- Fiona Bruce (Main presenter, 1999–2005)
- Michael Buerk (Main presenter, 1988–2003)
- Jill Dando (Main presenter, 1988–1999)
- Robert Dougall (Main presenter, 1964–1973)
- Chris Eakin (2013–2015)
- Huw Edwards (1994–1999, 2016)
- Joanna Gosling (2008–2011)
- Andrew Harvey (Main presenter, 1984–1999)
- Philip Hayton (Main presenter, 1984–1993)
- John Humphrys (Main presenter, 1981–1993)
- Darren Jordan (2002–2006)
- Kenneth Kendall (1954–1981)
- Riz Lateef (2008–2013)
- Sue Lawley (Main presenter, 1983–1993)
- Jan Leeming (Main presenter, 1980–1993)
- Chris Lowe (Main presenter, 1988–1993)
- Martyn Lewis (1988–1999)
- Emily Maitlis (2006–2013)
- Laurie Mayer (1985–1993)
- Louise Minchin (2006–2012)
- Clarence Mitchell (1999–2005)
- Christopher Morris (1984–1993)
- Sophie Raworth (2002–2006)
- Angela Rippon (1975–1983)
- John Simpson (1981–1988)
- Peter Sissons (Main presenter, 1993–2009)
- Julia Somerville (2011–2012)
- Edward Stourton (1993–1999)
- Moira Stuart (1981–1998)
- Richard Whitmore (Main presenter, 1972–1988)
- Sian Williams (1999–2013)
- Nicholas Witchell (Main presenter, 1981–1993)
- Peter Woods (Main presenter, 1964–1980)
During the late programme on each day a round up of the days sports news is presented from the BBC Sport Centre at MediaCityUK, Salford. This is usually presented by one of the BBC News channel sports presenters: