This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
6.09.4 / 10 April 2017
|Operating system||Windows, Unix, OS X|
BCWipe is commercial military-grade file eraser tool  data erasure utility for Windows, UNIX and Mac OS X. Developed by Jetico Inc, the software erases files beyond recovery and can erase free unused space on existing disks.
It has been used by government and military agencies, national laboratories, universities, industrial manufacturers, as well as various other enterprises and a wide global base of home and small business users.
As reported in U.S. media publications, BCWipe was called into action by the Air Force.
BCWipe was honoured with the Runner-Up award in the Most Innovative Security Products & Services Competition at The 8th Annual Network's Security Summit that took place in San-Diego in March 2011.
Other software developed by Jetico Inc, BCWipe Total WipeOut, can erase entire hard drives for disposal, decommission or re-purpose.
This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (February 2014)
Wiping features include:
- Delete with wiping – permanently delete selected files through right-click context menu
- Transparent Wiping – securely wipes deleted or temporary files automatically on the fly
- Wipe free disk space
- Wipe Local History
- Wipe Internet History
- Wipe Swap File
- Wipe File Slacks
- Wipe Empty Directory Entries
- Wipe Compressed Files
- Wipe MFT Records and Directory Entries
- Swap File Encryption
- Hexadecimal File Viewer
- BCWipe Task Manager
- Log File Viewer
- Automatic Update Utility
- The following wiping schemes are embedded in BCWipe:
- U.S. DoD 5220.22-M(ECE) – 7 passes
- U.S. DoD 5220.22-M(E) – 7 passes
- DoE M 205.1-2 (U.S. Department of Energy standard) 3 passes
- German VSITR standard
- Bruce Schneier's recommended wiping scheme
- Peter Gutmann method
- Russian GOST R 50739-95 (2 passes)
- British HMG IS5 (Baseline, Enhanced)
- Canadian RCMP TSSIT OPS-II
- US Army AR380-19
- One random pass
Additionally, the software includes the Wiping Scheme Editor utility to view and edit the number of wiping passes and binary patterns used at each pass. Wiping Scheme Editor has the capability to create complementary passes.
- BCWipe Total WipeOut is run from a bootable disk (CD/DVD or USB thumb drive) to erase an entire hard drive, including boot records, filesystem structures and operating system files.
- BCWipe – Enterprise Edition allows IT Admins to remotely install, configure and manage BCWipe across all network workstations. BCWipe Enterprise features Enforcer for central administration and policy management with no end-user intervention.
- BCWipe is natively included in Jetico's encryption system, BestCrypt
|Version||Release Date||Major features|
|6.0||29 June 2012||
|5.0||27 October 2010||BCWipe Task Manager allows multi-user wiping.|
Defragment API is used for wiping result verification and compressed file wiping.
|4.0||09.12.2008||Transparent wiping – wipes deleted file on fly.|
Auto update application is added.
|3.0||16 August 2002||Includes Task Manager.|
Allows to encrypt swap file by CryptoSwap.
Peter Gutmann scheme is added.
Verify last pass Wiping option is implemented. (DoD 5220.22-M)
Works for AMD64 and Itanium.
|2.0||29 May 1998||Directory entries on FAT and MFT records on NTFS wiping.|
Wiping of FAT drives on NT systems.
Log file feature added.
BCWipePD.exe is now added to common distributive. It is a DOS-based application for wiping of entire physical drive. It can be started from DOS v.7 bootable floppy.
File slacks wiping is a part of free space wiping process.
The special wiping of Recycle Bin has been added.
Windows ME operating system has a new 'System Restore' function. BCWipe allows to disable it.
Wiping of alternate NTFS streams has been implemented for delete with wiping.
|1.0||05.11.1997||Wipe disk free space.|
Delete file with wiping.
- Muller, Mark (8 November 2011) "BCWipe Military-Grade Secure File Delection"
- "Clearing, Sanitizing, and Destroying Disk" Livermore National Laboratory
- "Data Removal Recommendations" Brown University
- "Disposal or recycling of old computers" University of St Andrews
- "Data Sanitization and Disposal Tools" Carnegie Mellon University.
- "Disk and Data Sanitization Policy and Guidelines" Stanford University.
- Jetico. 20 July 2010. "BCWipe Total WipeOut Now On GSA Via Ideal System Solutions"
- Shachtman, Noah (7 October 2011) "Exclusive: Computer Virus Hits U.S. Drone Fleet"
- Exhibitors at The 8th Annual "The Security Summit"
- "School District securely cleans PC drives, donates to students and faculty" Connor, Deni (26 July 2010), Network World
- Schneier, Bruce (10 September 2009). "File Deletion". Schneier on Security.
- Schneier, Bruce (9 September 2009). "The battle is on against Facebook and co to regain control of our files". The Guardian. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "BCWipe – 5-Star Award, CNET Download.com". CNET Download.com. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Null, Christopher (11 October 2007). "How to Delete Files For Good". Yahoo! Tech. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Null, Christopher (9 October 2007). "Deleting Personal Information from Your PC". Yahoo! Tech. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Spector, Lincoln (30 April 2003). "Answer Line: Wipe Your Drive Clean of All Its Sensitive Data". PCWorld. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Spector, Lincoln (11 August 2004). "Ditching an Old Computer". PCWorld. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- Null, Christopher (2 September 2003). "The Best Software You're Not Using". PCWorld. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Disk Wiping – One Pass is Enough". Anti-Forensics. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "How to Permanently Remove Files from Your Hard Drive". wikiHow. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Data Sanitization and Disposal Tools". Carnegie Mellon University. Retrieved 3 March 2010.
- "Disk and Data Sanitization Policy and Guidelines". Stanford University. Retrieved 3 March 2010.