|Birth name||Brittany Jean Carlson|
|Born||c. 1987 (age 29–30)|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop rock, soul, dance-pop, Europop|
|Labels||J Records (formerly)|
Brittany Jean Carlson (born circa 1987), better known by her stage name BC Jean, is an American singer-songwriter and actress, perhaps best known for writing the song "If I Were a Boy" which was later sung by Beyoncé and achieved worldwide commercial success.
Jean was born in Mercy Hospital, San Diego, California to Lori Carlson, a talent manager, and a trumpet- and piano-playing stockbroker father. She lived in Ramona, Valley Center and Carmel Valley. A piano player, Jean began songwriting at 14, gaining inspiration from the works of performers including Queen, Rod Stewart and Aerosmith. Jean later became part of a cover band in high school and had her first onstage experience at the Sahara Casino in Las Vegas at 15.
Jean was signed to J Records while working on a debut album with Dallas Austin, The Matrix, Max Martin and others. After signing with J, Clive Davis, The CEO of Sony Music Entertainment, said, "You eagerly wait for a multi-talented new artist to come along like BC Jean. We're all really delighted that BC has chosen us as her musical home." It was later announced on October 7, 2011 that the RCA Music Group were disbanding a dozen labels of theirs, including J Records, they said that all artists from those labels, including Jean, were to move and release future material through RCA Records.
Jean released her debut single, "Just a Guy", on September 14, 2010. She also starred in the web-series Talent produced by Alloy TV on YouTube as Harper, a musician who travels to Los Angeles in search of fame. Two seasons have already aired.
Jean currently lives in Los Angeles, California. Her grandparents, who were also music artists, were signed to RCA Records for more than 30 years. Her grandfather performed with Perry Como and both grandparents with Fred Waring. Since 2012, she has been in a relationship with Dancing with the Stars professional dancer Mark Ballas. They became engaged on November 25, 2015. Exactly a year later, on November 25, 2016, the couple got married in Malibu, California.
- "Just a Guy" (2010)
- "I'll Survive You" (2011)
- "Anyone" (2011) (as Harper from Talent)
- "Stand Up" (2011) (as Harper from Talent)
- Featured songs
- "Not My Revolution" (2014) (with Itch)
- "So Alone" & "Die Without You" (2014) (with tyDi)
- "Happy Holidaze" (2014) (with Astro Safari USA)
- Varga, George (September 10, 2010). "Starbound? Major label debut by San Diego's BC Jean out Monday". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on October 10, 2016. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
At 23, San Diego native BC Jean...
- Lewis, Randy (September 10, 2010). "BC Jean is ready to greet the world". Pop Music. Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 15 September 2010. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- "BC Jean: Stand Up" (Press release). JW Records. n.d. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- Lipshutz, Jason (2009-03-24). "J Records Signs Singer/songwriter BC Jean". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 2010-03-03.