|Birth name||Brittany Jean Carlson|
|Born||April 22, 1987|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop rock, soul, dance-pop, Europop|
|Labels||J Records (formerly)|
Brittany Jean Carlson (born April 22, 1987), known better by her stage name BC Jean, is an American singer-songwriter and actress, perhaps best known for writing the song "If I Were a Boy" which was later sung by Beyoncé and achieved worldwide commercial success.
Jean was born in Mercy Hospital, San Diego, California to a piano and trumpet-playing stockbroker father and a mother who is a talent manager (John and Lori Carlson), and she lived in Ramona, Valley Center and Carmel Valley. At age 14, while attending Torrey Pines High School,. Jean was already a keen piano player and turned the poetry she was learning at school into song lyrics. She also got inspiration from songs on the radio as well as her parent's music collection, which included artist such as Queen, Rod Stewart and Aerosmith. Jean later became part of a cover band in high school and had her first on-stage experience at the Sahara Casino in Las Vegas at 15 years of age.
Jean was signed to J Records while working on a debut album with Dallas Austin, The Matrix, Max Martin and others. After signing with J, Clive Davis, The CEO of Sony Music Entertainment, said, "You eagerly wait for a multi-talented new artist to come along like BC Jean. We're all really delighted that BC has chosen us as her musical home." It was later announced on October 7, 2011 that the RCA Music Group were disbanding a dozen labels of theirs, including J Records, they said that all artists from those labels, including Jean, were to move and release future material through RCA Records.
Jean released her debut single, "Just a Guy", on September 14, 2010. She also starred in the web-series Talent produced by Alloy TV on YouTube as Harper, a musician who travels to Los Angeles in search of fame. Two seasons have already aired.
Jean currently lives in Los Angeles, California. Her grandparents, who were also music artists, were signed to RCA Records for more than 30 years. Her grandfather performed with Perry Como and both grandparents with Fred Waring.
- "Just a Guy" (2010)
- "I'll Survive You" (2011)
- "Anyone" (2011) (as Harper from Talent)
- "Stand Up" (2011) (as Harper from Talent)
- Featured songs
- "Not My Revolution" (2014) (with Itch)
- "So Alone" & "Die Without You" (2014) (with tyDi)
- "Happy Holidaze" (2014) (with Astro Safari USA)
- Varga, George (September 10, 2010). "Starbound? Major label debut by San Diego's BC Jean out Monday". News. The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Lewis, Randy (September 10, 2010). "BC Jean is ready to greet the world". Pop Music. Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 15 September 2010. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Frank, Jeff (March 9, 2009). "Neighbors: Singer-songwriter ready for the spotlight". Local News - Neighbors. North County Times. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Varga, George (February 12, 2009). "Public Eye: San Diego native BC Jean ready for her spotlight". Lifestyle. The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- Lipshutz, Jason (2009-03-24). "J Records Signs Singer/songwriter BC Jean". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 2010-03-03.