|Birth name||Brittany Jean Carlson|
|Born||April 22, 1987|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Pop rock, soul, dance-pop, Europop|
|Labels||J Records (formerly)|
Brittany Jean Carlson (born April 22, 1987), better known by her stage name BC Jean, is an American singer-songwriter and actress, known for writing the song "If I Were a Boy" which was later sung by Beyoncé and achieved worldwide commercial success.
Jean was born in Mercy Hospital, San Diego, California to mother Lori Carlson, a talent manager, and a stockbroker father that played trumpet and piano. She lived in California in Ramona, Valley Center and Carmel Valley. A piano player, Jean began songwriting at 14 inspired by the works of performers including Queen, Rod Stewart and Aerosmith. Jean later became part of a cover band in high school, and had her first performance with them at the Sahara Casino on the Las Vegas Strip at age 15.
Jean was signed to J Records while working on a debut album with Dallas Austin, The Matrix, Max Martin and others. After signing with J, Clive Davis, The CEO of Sony Music Entertainment, said, "You eagerly wait for a multi-talented new artist to come along like BC Jean. We're all really delighted that BC has chosen us as her musical home." It was later announced on October 7, 2011, that the RCA Music Group were disbanding a dozen labels of theirs, including J Records, they said that all artists from those labels, including Jean, were to move and release future material through RCA Records.
Jean released her debut single, "Just a Guy", on September 14, 2010. She also starred in the web-series Talent produced by Alloy TV on YouTube as Harper, a musician who travels to Los Angeles in search of fame. Two seasons have already aired.
Alexander Jean is a duo formation made up of BC Jean & Mark Ballas. They work as a husband-wife American pop rock duo starting 2015. Their debut single was "Roses and Violets". The single reach the Top 20 on Billboard's Hot 100 "Bubbling Under" chart. They had success with "Waiting for You" and were nominated Elvis Duran's Artist of the Month in November 2018.
Jean currently lives in Los Angeles, California. Her grandparents, who were also music artists, were signed to RCA Records for more than 30 years. Her grandfather performed with Perry Como and both grandparents with Fred Waring. Since 2012, she has been in a relationship with Dancing with the Stars professional dancer Mark Ballas. They became engaged on November 25, 2015. Exactly a year later, on November 25, 2016, the couple got married in Malibu, California.
- "Just a Guy" (2010)
- "I'll Survive You" (2011)
- "Anyone" (2011) (as Harper from Talent)
- "Stand Up" (2011) (as Harper from Talent)
- "Not My Revolution" (2014) (with Itch)
- "So Alone" and "Die Without You" (2014) (with tyDi)
- "Happy Holidaze" (2014) (with Astro Safari USA)
- Varga, George (September 10, 2010). "Starbound? Major label debut by San Diego's BC Jean out Monday". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Archived from the original on October 10, 2016. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
At 23, San Diego native BC Jean...
- Lewis, Randy (September 10, 2010). "BC Jean is ready to greet the world". Pop Music. Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on September 15, 2010. Retrieved September 15, 2010.
- "BC Jean: Stand Up" (Press release). JW Records. n.d. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2016.
- Lipshutz, Jason (March 2, 2009). "J Records Signs Singer/songwriter BC Jean". Billboard.biz. Retrieved March 3, 2010.
- Kaufman, Gil (January 1, 1970). "Billboard Business | Billboard". Billboard.biz. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on November 8, 2011. Retrieved October 7, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 12, 2012. Retrieved October 27, 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "BC Jean, Mark Ballas' Girlfriend: See Who the DWTS Pro is Dating". Heavy.com. April 2, 2015.
- "BC Jean Ballas on Instagram: "Guess the cats out of the bag...😋 We are getting married!!! I am surprised we were able to keep it hush hush for as long as we did, but I…"". Instagram.com.
- "Mark Ballas Marries BC Jean in Gorgeous Southern California Wedding!". Etonline.com.
- Alexander Jean website
- BC Jean on Instagram
- BC Jean on Twitter
- BC Jean at MySpace
- BC Jean on IMDb
- "Alexander Jean". Alexander Jean. Retrieved August 12, 2020.
- "BC Jean Ballas (@bcjean) • Instagram photos and videos". www.instagram.com. Retrieved August 12, 2020.
- "BC Jean on Twitter @BCJean". Twitter. Retrieved August 12, 2020.