|Traded as||NASDAQ: BJRI|
S&P 600 Component
|Founded||1978Santa Ana, California, as BJ's Chicago Pizzeriain|
|Founders||Mike Phillips, Bill Cunningham|
|Headquarters||Huntington Beach, California|
Number of locations
|Greg Trojan, CEO and President|
BJ's Restaurants, Inc. is an American chain of restaurants, some of which contain microbreweries that also supply beer to the other restaurants in the chain. The locations with breweries use the name BJ's Restaurant & Brewery while the other locations use the name BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse. Some of their beers have been awarded gold and silver medals at various beer brewing competitions throughout the world.
As of November 20, 2018[update], the company has restaurants in Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. The company uses the brand names BJ's Grill, BJ's Pizza & Grill, BJ's Restaurant & Brewery, and BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse. BJ's Restaurants, Inc. and is based in Huntington Beach, California.
BJ's was founded in 1978 and first opened in Santa Ana, California, as BJ's Chicago Pizzeria by Mike Phillips and Bill Cunningham. Phillips and Cunningham sold their company to their accountants Paul Motenko and Jerry Hennessy in 1991.
By 1996, seven restaurants had opened between San Diego and Los Angeles. Originally known as Chicago Pizza, the company went public about 1996, raising $9.4 million. The company then bought 26 Pietro's Pizza restaurants in March 1996 in a $2.8 million deal in cash and assumed debt, but then sold off seven of the locations with plans to convert the remaining Pietro's to what was then BJ's Pizza. During the same year, the company opened a microbrewery at its Brea restaurant.
In October 2012, Greg Trojan became President and CEO.
In 2013, BJ's produced a combined total of 60,000 barrels annually at their 11 brewery restaurants to serve their chain of 136 restaurants in 15 states. In 2010, the company's BJ's Hefelightzen was awarded a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival.
BJ's owns and operates 202 restaurants
- Bloom, Earl (January 21, 2013). "BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse". Orange County Register.
- "Company Overview of BJ's Restaurants, Inc". Bloomberg. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- Alvarado, Jocelyn (September 23, 2012). "Best of Orange County: BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse". Orange County Register.
- Jacobson, Max (September 29, 1994). "Restaurants : BJ's Dishes Pizza That Pans Out". Los Angeles Times.
- Chang, Andrea (May 5, 2010). "BJ's takes a bigger slice of casual-dining market: The Huntington Beach-based chain's vast menu and modest prices are helping it thrive after a tough few years for the restaurant industry". Los Angeles Times.
- Luna, Nancy (December 22, 2008). "BJ's Restaurants co-founders leave pizza chain". Orange County Register.
- Rose, Michael (November 17, 1996). "BJ's Pizza to revamp Pietro's with breweries, remodeling". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved March 15, 2013.
- Luna, Nancy (August 2, 2012). "BJ's pizza among 10 fastest-growing chains". The Orange County Register.
- "BJ's Restaurants, Inc. Announces Incoming President and Upcoming CEO Transition". foodnewsfeed.com. October 31, 2012. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Morgan, Jason (August 16, 2013). "Brewpub Files: BJ's Restaurants crafts brand quality across its restaurants". Craft Brewing Business.
- "BJ's Restaurants Wins Gold Medal at the Great American Beer Festival". NBC News. September 28, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse.|