BMC - Kirpi
BMC Kirpi MRAP in Eurosatory 2012
|Type||Infantry mobility vehicle|
|Place of origin||Turkey|
|In service||Active (in service)|
|Variants||4x4 and 6x6|
|Length||6.0 m (short version)(4x4) and 7.075 m (long version)(4x4)|
|Width||2.51 m (4x4)|
|Height||2.86 m (4x4)|
|Armor||STANAG 4569 Level 3 (MRAP) a|
|7.62 or 12.7 mm machine guns|
|Engine||CUMMINS ISBE 275 or CUMMINS ISLE 350
ISBE 275 : 271 PS at 2100 rpm and ISLE 350 345 PS at 2100 rpm
|Transmission||Allison 3000 type 3000SP|
|Ground clearance||345 mm|
|Fuel capacity||310 liter|
|1000 km at 60 km/h|
BMC Kirpi (Turkish for "Hedgehog") is a Turkish made Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle built by BMC. Kirpi is designed and manufactured by the Turkish armored vehicle manufacturer BMC to meet the requirements of the Turkish Land Forces.
The design contract was awarded in 2009, and deliveries commenced in 2014.
Its armored hull provides protection against armor-piercing rounds and artillery shell splinters. Some vehicles have been fitted with cage armor for protection against RPG rounds.
The Kirpi features shock absorber seats and interior accessories, a GPS system, rear view camera, and automatic fire suppression system. It has five firing ports and four bulletproof windows on each side of the troop compartment.
It has a shielded position for the gunner on top of the roof, which can be operated manually and can rotate through 360 degrees. The vehicle can be armed with a 7.62-mm or 12.7-mm machine gun and is also available with remotely-controlled weapons stations.
- ARG. "Kirpi Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle | Military-Today.cm". www.military-today.com. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- Administrator. "Kirpi BMC 350 MRAP armoured vehicle personnel carrier data sheet specifications description pictures | Turkey Turkish army wheeled armoured vehicles UK | Turkey Turkish army military equipment vehicles UK". www.armyrecognition.com. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- "BMC'den dev savunma sanayii hamlesi" (in Turkish). Akşam. 16 December 2016.
- "Armored Cars: BMC Kirpi". 21st Century Asian Arms Race. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Turkish MRAP output ramps up [IDX15D2]". IHS Jane's 360. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- Zaman 15.02.2014 The Kirpi export to Tunisia from BMC