BMW 6 Series (F06/F12/F13)
|Designer||Nader Faghihzadeh (2008)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Grand tourer/Sports car|
|Body style||2-door convertible
|Layout||FR or F4|
|Related||BMW 5 Series (F10), BMW 7 Series (F01)|
4.4 L V8
3.0 L (313 hp) I6
|Transmission||8-speed ZF 8HP automatic
|Wheelbase||Gran Coupe: 2,968 mm (116.9 in)
Convertible & Coupe: 109.4 in (2,779 mm)
|Length||Gran Coupe: 5,007 mm (197.1 in)
Convertible: 192.8 in (4,897 mm)
Coupe: 192.7 in (4,895 mm)
|Width||Gran Coupe: 1,894 mm (74.6 in)
Convertible & Coupe: 74.6 in (1,895 mm)
|Height||Gran Coupe: 1,392 mm (54.8 in)
Convertible: 54 in (1,372 mm)
Coupe: 54 in (1,372 mm)
|Curb weight||1,735–2,055 kg (3,825–4,530 lb)|
|Predecessor||BMW 6 Series (E63)|
The BMW F06/F12/F13 6 Series is a grand tourer/sports car automobile manufactured by BMW. BMW unveiled information and pictures in September 2010 of the Concept 6 Series, which was introduced at the 2010 Paris Motor Show.
- 1 Initial release
- 2 2012 update
- 3 2015 facelift
- 4 Engines
- 5 References
- 6 External links
European models of 6 Series Coupe (640i xDrive, 650i xDrive, 640d xDrive), 6 Series Convertible (640i xDrive, 650i xDrive, 640d) were unveiled in 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show.
BMW revealed the 6-Series Convertible on 18 November 2010. The folding top is still cloth as compared to the E93 3 Series convertible which is equipped with a metal roof. On 13 March 2011, BMW released pictures and details about the Coupe.
For the 2014 model year, the 6-series received a light facelift and updated engines.
Launched at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show as a coupé and at the Auto Mobil International Leipzig 2012. as a convertible, the M6 includes 4.4-litre V8 twin scroll twin turbo engine, seven-speed double clutch transmission with Drivelogic, M-specific Dynamic Damper Control, DSC stability control incl. M Dynamic Mode, M Servotronic steering, body strengthening using special panels, lightweight compound high-performance braking system (optional M carbon-ceramic brakes), M double-spoke leather steering wheel, M gear selector and car set-up controls on the model-specific centre console, exclusive M sports seats with integrated belt system (optional M multifunction seats), Merino leather upholstery with extended features, exclusive carbon-fibre interior trim strips, illuminated door sill finishers with model lettering, M-specific instrument cluster with black-panel technology, 2-zone automatic climate control with extended features, ambient lighting; BMW Head-Up Display with M-specific information.
|Weight, unladen, to EU (kg/lbs)||1735 / 3825||1915 / 4221|
|Max load to DIN (kg/lbs)||450 / 992||450 / 992|
|Max permissible (kg/lbs)||2150 / 4739||2290 / 5048|
|Top speed (km/h / mph)||250 / 155||250 / 155|
|Acceleration (in sec) 0 – 100 km/h / 0 – 62 mph||5.4||5.7|
|Fuel consumption (l/100 km – mpg) Urban/Extra-urban/Combined||10.3–10.5/6.0-6.2/7.6-7.8
22 / 38 / 30
21/ 37 / 29
|CO2 emission g/km||177–181||185|
|Weight, unladen, to EU (kg/lbs)||1845 / 4067||2015 / 4442|
|Max load to DIN (kg/lbs)||450 / 992||450 / 992|
|Max permissible (kg/lbs)||2260 / 4982||2390 / 5269|
|Top speed (km/h / mph)||250 / 155||250 / 155|
|Acceleration (in sec) 0 – 100 km/h / 0 – 62 mph||4.9||5.0|
|Fuel consumption (l/100 km – mpg) Urban/Extra-urban/Combined||15.4/7.7/10.5
15 / 30 / 22
15/ 29 / 21
|CO2 emission g/km||245||249|
640d was introduced along with Coupe body style.
|Weight, unladen, to EU (kg/lbs)||1790 / 3946||1935 / 4265|
|Max load to DIN (kg/lbs)||450 / 992||450 / 992|
|Max permissible (kg/lbs)||2220 / 4894||2340 / 5158|
|Acceleration (in sec) 0 – 100 km/h / 0 – 62 mph||5.5||5.6|
|Fuel consumption (l/100 km – mpg) Urban/Extra-urban/Combined||6.6/4.8/5.4
35 / 49 / 43
34/ 48 / 42
|CO2 emission g/km||143||147|
Production Figures/Sales Figures
The following are the units produced according to BMW's Annual Reports. The following figures include all 640i, 650i models.
|2011||9,396||2,937||6,459||-||The 6 Series Gran Coupé was not released yet.|
|2012||23,193||8,480||7,880||6,833||The 6 Series Gran Coupé was released as a 2012 model year.|
As of 2014 (excluding all cars sold in 2014), a total of 60,276 BMW F06/F12/F13 6 Series's were produced, of which: 17,695 were Coupes, 19,835 were Convertibles and 22,746 were Gran Coupés.
Beginning in July 2012, 6 series include following changes:
- No Passing Info supplements Speed Limit Info from BMW ConnectedDrive. It serves to avoid potentially hazardous overtaking manoeuvres by identifying signposted routes on which overtaking is banned and when the ban is lifted.
- BMW 650i xDrive includes Auto Start Stop function as standard.
- The BMW 650i's biturbo V8 engine adds Valvetronic with an increase in output to 443 hp and 480 lb ft of torque.
Beginning from spring 2013, BMW ConnectedDrive includes Intelligent Emergency Call with automatic vehicle location and accident severity detection becomes standard on all BMW 6 Series models. New models include BMW 640i xDrive (Convertible, Coupe, Gran Coupé), 640d xDrive Gran Coupé.
The 6 Series Gran Coupé (F06) was unveiled at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show. The Gran Coupé is the fruition of the 2007 BMW CS Concept, a vehicle that was intended to slot at the top of BMW's lineup alongside the 7-Series flagship sedan. The CS Concept never made it to production due to the worsening economy in 2008, which also saw the retirement of BMW M development executive Gerhard Richter.
The Gran Coupé has often been compared with the Audi A7 and Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class in the four-door executive coupé market. However, the Gran Coupé is larger and more expensive than the CLS and A7 and is priced close to the Porsche Panamera. Pricing for the BMW 640i Gran Coupé is slightly higher than the BMW 740i, with the Gran Coupé positioned as a more stylish alternative to the conservative 7 Series.
The Gran Coupé shares the front and rear fascias with the other 6 Series body styles. Compared to the two door 6 Series Coupé, the Gran Coupé's wheelbase is longer by stretched 4.5 inches (the wheelbase is the same as the F10 BMW 5 Series) while the body is 4.4 inches longer. This makes the Gran Coupé longer (by 4.0 inches) and wider (by 1.3 inches) than the 5 Series sedan (F10). The extra length, compared to the two-door 6 Series, gives the Gran Coupé a 4+1 seating arrangement, as the rear has two fullsize outboard seats and a middle seat for occasional passengers. The Gran Coupé has a different center console though its dashboard is shared with the Coupé and Cabriolet. Compared to the short-wheelbase BMW 7 Series (F01), the Gran Coupé has similar rear passenger space dimensions while having a larger trunk (14 cubic feet versus 16.2 cubic feet).
M6 Gran Coupé (2013–)
Alpina B6 Gran Coupé (2014)
The high performance Alpina B6 Gran Coupé xDrive was launched in 2014. This model is conceived by Alpina and based on the 650i. This model is sold by BMW only in the USA and in Canada (but Alpina also independently offers it in other countries). The Alpina B6 Gran Coupé shares the 540 hp, 730 N.m 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 of the Alpina B5 BiTurbo and B6 BiTurbo coupé which are not sold in North America. Specification includes a more luxurious interior, 20-inch Alpina light-alloy wheels, aerodynamic elements and exclusive Alpina trims and paints. The Alpina B6 can go from 0–100 km/h in only 3.9s and has a top speed of 318 km/h.
|Alpina B6 xDrive||Not available||2014–|
|640i||2012–||8-speed automatic with Steptronic|
|640i xDrive||2013–||8-speed automatic with Steptronic|
|650i||2012–||8-speed automatic with Steptronic|
|650i xDrive||2012–||8-speed automatic with Steptronic|
|M6||2012–||7-speed M Double Clutch Transmission with Drivelogic or 6-speed manual|
|Alpina B6 xDrive||2014||Gran Coupé only: 8-speed automatic with Switch-Tronic|
|640d||2012–||8-speed automatic with Steptronic|
|640d xDrive||2012–||8-speed automatic with Steptronic|
The M6 in all forms is the only 6-Series available with an optional six-speed manual in North America.
Details of the facelifted 2015 6 Series were released on the internet on December 11th 2014, a month before its official release in the Detroit Auto Show.
Exterior changes include: one removed slat from each kidney grille, a slightly redesigned full-LED adaptive headlights, three distinct LED's in the fog lights, integrated indicators in the accent strip cutting across the top of the headlight unit, a larger and lower front air intake (for the front bumper), the exterior mirrors get indicators. The facelifted 6 Series comes with a newly designed 20-inch multi-spoke wheels. The Hofmeister Kink in the BMW 6 Series Coupe and Gran Coupé has been slightly redesigned. There is also a new chrome strip that sits in between the exhausts in the lower rear bumper and the style for the model designation badges has also been slightly changed. Minor alterations to interior trim and audio options.
All facelifted BMW 6 Series xDrive models get Hydraulic Steering Assistance, and all models are available in xDrive variants which improves the 0–60 times. All (640i/d and 650i) models come with BMW's TwinPower Turbo technology, and all models meet the EU6 Exhaust Emissions standard. The 650i Coupe and Gran Coupé feature 445hp, and can go from 0–60 in only 4.3s.
A new package called the 'Black Accent Package' can also be ordered on all facelifted models – The changes include: High Gloss Black Kidney Grille Bars, a BMW Individual high-gloss shadow line trim, high-gloss tailpipe tips and 19-inch Bi-Colour light alloy wheels with an exclusive multi-spoke design. Cognac/Black bi-colour Nappa leather highlighted by Fineline Brown Wood is also included in the 'Black Accent Package'. The 'M Sport Edition' gets 20-inch M Wheels, a M Sport Steering Wheel and a M Dynamic exterior. The interior changes from the 'M Sport Edition' includes ventilated front seats, soft close doors and (like its pre-facelifted model) contrast stitching and a leather dashboard.
All 640i models get exclusive features as well. All facelifted BMW 640i models have a Sports Exhaust System, which features a switchable exhaust valve and can be adjusted via the 'Driving Experience Control Switch'. This means that whenever the car is in the SPORT or SPORT+ mode, the valve opens in order to reduce the exhaust backpressure, and thus generates a 'dramatic' and aural response. The engine management system also allows further acoustic optimisations including Dynamic Load-Reversal Damping. Also, all facelifted BMW 640i models burn 0.2litres less fuel per 100km than its pre-facelift model.
The USA and Canada only Alpina B6 Gran Coupé (if sold by BMW, as Alpina also independently offers the model in other countries) now features 600 hp and 800 N.m. The top speed is electronically limited to 324 km/h.
|640i||2011–present||N55HP||235 kW (315 hp) @5800||450 N·m (332 lb·ft) @1200–4500|
|650i||2011–2012||N63B44||300 kW (402 hp) @5500||600 N·m (443 lb·ft) @1750–4500|
|650i||2012–present||N63B44TU||330 kW (443 hp) @5500||650 N·m (479 lb·ft) @2000–4500|
|M6||2012–present||S63B44TU||412 kW (553 hp) @6600||680 N·m (502 lb·ft) @1500–5750|
|Alpina B6 xDrive||2015–present||N63||441 kW (591 hp) @6000||800 N·m (590 lb·ft) @3500–4500|
|640d||2011–present||N57D30||230 kW (308 hp) @4400||630 N·m (465 lb·ft) @1500–2500|
- Neil, Dan (26 November 2011). "BMW 640i: for the All-Business Person in a Hurry". The Wall Street Journal. p. D12.
- "2012 BMW Concept 6 Series Coupé officially revealed". Motorthusiast. 20 September 2010. Archived from the original on 25 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- "BMW to unveil new 6 Series Coupe at Shanghai and New York Auto Shows". Bmwblog.com. Retrieved 2011-07-16.
- "Inspired by a passion for aesthetics and dynamics: The new BMW 6 Series Coupe" (Press release). BMW. 13 March 2011. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- Inspired by a passion for aesthetics and dynamics. The new BMW 6 Series Coupe.
- BMW at the 2011 NAIAS Detroit.
- Captivating from the outside, magnificent from the inside. The new BMW 6 Series Convertible.
- BMW at the 64. International Frankfurt Motor Show (IAA 2011).
- "2012 BMW 650I Convertible vs. 2013 Mercedes-Benz Sl550 Roadster vs. 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet Luxury Convertible Comparison". Motor Trend. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- BMW at the 82nd Geneva Motor Show 2012.
- BMW at the 21st Auto Mobil International Leipzig 2012.
- The new BMW M6. Coupe and Convertible.
- BMW model update programme as from July.
- "First Look: 2013 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe – Automobile Magazine". Automobilemag.com. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- BMW model update measures for spring 2013.
- Kurczewski, Nick (10 December 2011). "BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe: A Swept-Back Response to Audi A7 and Mercedes-Benz CLS". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
- "2013 BMW 6-series Gran Coupé Spy Photos – News – Car and Driver". Caranddriver.com. 12 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "BMW 6-series Gran Coupe". Evo. Retrieved 12 March 2012.
- "2013 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe First Drive". Motor Trend. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "Buyer's Dilemma: BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe or 740i short wheelbase?". Bmwblog.com. 20 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Richard Hammond on BMW's new 6-series coupe: So good it puts their other models in the shade – Richard Hammond – Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. 8 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-17.
- "2013 BMW 6-series Gran Coupe Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver". Caranddriver.com. 2013-12-29. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe revealed
- "BMW M6 Gran Coupe review". Auto Express. 13 January 2014. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- "Alpina B6 xDrive Gran Coupe Available on the BMW USA Website". autoevolution. 2014-04-08. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- Joseph, Noah. "BMW reveals updated 2016 Alpina B6 xDrive Gran Coupe". Autoblog. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
- "2016 BMW Alpina B6 xDrive Gran Coupe First Test Review – Motor Trend". Motor Trend. 2016-02-26. Retrieved 2016-06-04.
|Compact||1 Series||E82 / E88|
|E81 / E87||F20 / F21|
|2 Series||F22 / F23|
|F45 / F46|
|3 Series Compact||E36/5||E46/5|
|Compact executive||3 Series||E21||E30||E36||E46||E90 / E91 / E92 / E93||F30 / F31 / F35|
|4 Series||F32 / F33|
|Executive||5 Series||E12||E28||E34||E39||E60 / E61||F10 / F11||G30|
|Luxury||6 Series||E24||E63 / E64||F12 / F13|
|7 Series||E23||E32||E38||E65 / E66 / E67 / E68||F01 / F02 / F03 / F04||G11 / G12|
|Roadster||Z Series||E30 (Z1)||E36/7 & E36/8 (Z3)||E85 / E86 (Z4)||E89 (Z4)|
|M||1 Series M||E82 M|
|M3||E30 M3||E36 M3||E46 M3||E90/92/93 M3||F80|
|M4||F82 / F83|
|M5||E28 M5||E34 M5||E39 M5||E60/61 M5||F10 M5|
|M6||E24 M635CSi/M6||E63/64 M6||F06/12/13 M6|
|M Roadster||E36/7 (Z3) M||E85 (Z4) M|
|M Coupé||E36/8 M Coupé||E86 M Coupé|
|Sports car||E26 (M1)||E52 (Z8)|
|X6||E71 / E72||F16|