BMW 8 Series (G15)
|BMW 8 Series (G14/G15/G16)|
|Production||June 2018 – present|
|Assembly||Germany: Dingolfing (BMW Dingolfing Plant)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Grand tourer (S)|
|Layout||Front-engine, all-wheel drive (xDrive)|
|Platform||Cluster Architecture (CLAR)|
|Transmission||8-speed ZF 8HP automatic|
|Wheelbase||2,822 mm (111.1 in)|
|Length||4,843 mm (190.7 in)|
|Width||1,902 mm (74.9 in)|
|Height||1,341 mm (52.8 in)|
The BMW 8 Series (G15) is the second generation of the BMW 8 Series grand tourer. It was officially unveiled at the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 15, 2018. It is the successor to the BMW 6 Series range of models and marks the return of the BMW 8 Series nameplate after 20 years.
Development and launch
The 8 Series is based on the BMW Concept 8 Series that debuted at the 2017 Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este, and featured a new design language and iteration of the iDrive system. The BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupé was also later introduced at the 2018 Geneva Motor Show, and is a high-performance four-door variant of the 8 Series to be unveiled in late 2018.
The production model is based on the modular CLAR platform and has a design largely unchanged from the Concept 8 Series. The 8 Series utilises a double-wishbone front suspension and rear multi-link suspension. The car uses BMW's Carbon Core technology, integrating carbon-fibre within its chassis. GPS navigation data is used for the 8-speed automatic transmission to predict upshifts or downshifts when approaching a junction, and cameras along with sensors are utilised to determine appropriate shutdowns for the engine start-stop system.
The convertible version of the 8 Series (G14) was launched in November 2018. The convertible features a folding cloth roof that operates in 15 seconds and can function up to 50 km/h (31 mph). Changes over the coupé include; new cross struts, new panels for the underbody and aluminium roll over bars for added safety. Initial models for the convertible include the M850i xDrive and 840d xDrive. The convertible weighs an additional 100 kg (220 lb) more than the coupé.
Sales of the 8 Series commenced in November 2018.
Standard equipment includes the xDrive all-wheel drive system, an 8-speed automatic transmission, Vernasca leather, a heads-up display, adaptive suspension, power steering, and split folding rear seats. The 8 Series also features a 10.25-inch display with iDrive 7.0 and a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. The M850i xDrive receives 20-inch wheels as standard and aerodynamic elements such as larger air intakes and a front lip spoiler.
Available options includes Microsoft Office 365 and Skype for Business integration, laser headlights, a display key fob, and a Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System. Near field communication can also be used to unlock the car via a smartphone. An M Sport package is also available on the 840d xDrive model and features 19-inch alloy wheels, an enhanced braking system, and a re-designed sports steering wheel.
The 850i xDrive is available worldwide, while the 840d xDrive is only available in Europe.
4.4 L V8 twin-turbo
|390 kW (523 hp; 530 PS)
at 5,500–6,000 rpm
|750 N⋅m (553 lb⋅ft)
at 1,800–4,600 rpm
3.0 L I6 turbo
|235 kW (315 hp; 320 PS)
at 4,400 rpm
|680 N⋅m (502 lb⋅ft)
at 1,750–2,250 rpm
- Panait, Mircea (2018-07-06). "2019 BMW 8 Series Coupe Enters Production at Dingolfing Plant". autoevolution. Retrieved 2018-08-25.
- "The all-new BMW 8 Series Coupe". www.press.bmwgroup.com. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
- Pattni, Vijay. "This is the new BMW 8 Series Convertible". Top Gear. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "BMW 8 Series to be revealed at Le Mans today | Autocar". www.autocar.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Trop, Jaclyn. "BMW 8 Series Coupe Returns After A 19-Year Hiatus". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "The best photo gallery of the BMW Concept 8 Series at Villa d'Este". BMW BLOG. 2017-05-31. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "BMW Concept 8-series: Eight Is Greater than Six". Car and Driver. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "BMW M8 Gran Coupe Concept unveiled at Geneva". Evo. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "BMW M8 Gran Coupe Reviews | BMW M8 Gran Coupe Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver". Car and Driver. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "New BMW 8 Series Set to Return in 2018 | Autocar". www.autocar.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "BMW's flagship luxury coupe returns after a 20-year hiatus". Digital Trends. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "WORLD PREMIERE: BMW 8 Series -- Making a Comeback". BMW BLOG. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "BMW reveals the 2019 8 Series Coupe, and it looks a lot like the concept". Autoblog. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "2019 BMW 8 Series Coupe: Back from the dead and lookin' good". Roadshow. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "This is the brand new BMW 8 Series Coupe". Top Gear. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "New "dream car" BMW 8 Series unveiled | PistonHeads". www.pistonheads.com. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- Taylor, Michael (2018-06-16). "BMW 8 Series Coupe revealed - motoring.com.au". motoring.com.au. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "2019 BMW 8 Series Coupe First Look | Edmunds". Edmunds. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "2019 BMW 8 Series official: M850i xDrive packs 523hp V8". SlashGear. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "The BMW 8 Series Coupe Has Debuted And It's Stunning @ Top Speed". Top Speed. Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "BMW 8 series will offer 320-hp diesel in Europe". europe.autonews.com. 2018-06-15. Retrieved 2018-06-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BMW 8 Series.|
« previous — BMW cars: 2000s to 2010s