|Engine||1,649 cc (100.6 cu in) straight-six transverse-mounted|
|Bore / stroke||72 mm × 67.5 mm (2.83 in × 2.66 in)|
|Power||118 kW (160 hp) (claimed)@ 7,750 rpm|
|Torque||175 N⋅m (129 lbf⋅ft) (claimed)@ 5,250 rpm|
|Transmission||six-speed shaft drive|
|Weight||319 kg (703 lb) (GT model, 90% full fuel tank, no panniers) (wet)|
|Fuel capacity||7 US gallons (26 l; 5.8 imp gal)|
The BMW K1600GT, K1600GTL, K1600B are motorcycles manufactured by BMW Motorrad. The former two were announced in July 2010, unveiled at the Intermot motorcycle show in Cologne in October 2010, and went on sale in March 2011. The latter was announce in October 2016. The K1600GTL is a full dress luxury tourer, which replaces the K1200LT, and is intended to compete with the Honda Gold Wing. The K1600GT is more of a sport tourer similar to the existing K1300GT and previous K1200GT models. The K1600B is a bagger designed primarily for the North American market.
The bikes feature a new 1,649 cc (100.6 cu in) straight-six engine which is mounted transversely across the chassis. The cylinders are angled forward by 55°. The engine was originally used on the Concept 6, a concept bike that was shown at the 2009 EICMA Milan Motor Show. BMW claims that the engine, which at 560 mm (22 in) wide is just 67 mm (2.6 in) wider than the K1300 engine, is the narrowest in-line six-cylinder engine ever produced. Cylinder bore is 72.0 mm (2.83 in) and the distance between cylinder centres 77 mm (3.0 in). The camshafts are hollow, with cam lobes pressed on, which saves around 2 lb (0.91 kg). The engine has electronic throttle control and multiple drive modes which can be set according to road conditions.
New technology for BMW on these models include adaptive headlights. As standard the headlights shine onto a mirror which keeps the beam level according to how the bike is pitched. The optional adaptive headlights include a servomotor that directs the headlight beam according to how the bike is leaning in a turn, effectively pointing the beam around the bend.
In July 2011, US magazine Cycle World named the K1600GT as its best sport touring motorcycle, and the K1600GTL as the best touring motorcycle for 2011. Motorcyclist named the K1600GT as Best Touring Bike in its 2011 Motorcycle of the Year awards. UK weekly newspaper Motor Cycle News named the K1600GT as Best Tourer at its MCN Awards 2011.
Motorcyclist road tested the K1600GTL against the Honda Gold Wing and preferred the Honda. They did note that the additions on the K1600GTL over the K1600GT worked against it, and concluded that the latter was the better bike.
- "BMW K 1600 GT". BMW.
- Kevin Ash, VMW K1600GT review
- 2018 BMW K 1600 GT specifications, motorcycle.com
- Newbigging, Chris (2 July 2010). "BMW announces K1600 GT and K1600 GTL six-cylinder tourers". Motor Cycle News. ISSN 0027-1853. Archived from the original on 15 July 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "Cologne Bike Show: 2011 BMW K1600GT gallery". Motor Cycle News. 5 October 2010. ISSN 0027-1853. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "BMW Motorrad at the Intermot 2010. The new BMW K 1600 GT. The new BMW K 1600 GTL".
- Collins, Andrew (11 October 2016). "This Is BMW's Attack On Harley-Davison". Jalopnik. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Elvidge, Jamie (October 2011). "BMW K1600GTL vs. Honda GL1800 Gold Wing". Motorcyclist. ISSN 0027-2205.
- "The new BMW K 1600 B". BMW GROUP. October 10, 2016. Retrieved October 11, 2016.
- Madson, Bart (2 July 2010). "2011 BMW K1600GT First Look". Motorcycle USA. Archived from the original on 5 July 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Hull, Matt. "BMW K1600GT & K1600GT-L". RiDE Magazine (September 2010): 123. ISSN 1360-3507.
- Madson, Bart (10 November 2009). "BMW Inline Six Motorcycle Concept". Motorcycle USA. Archived from the original on 17 June 2010. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- Frank, Aaron. "BMW Concept 6 Bike". Motorcyclist Magazine.
- Ash, Kevin (25 August 2010). "Six appeal for BMW tourers". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Best Sport-Touring Bike: BMW K1600GT – Ten Best Bikes 2011". Cycle World. July 2011. ISSN 0011-4286.
- "Best Touring Bike: BMW K1600GTL – Ten Best Bikes 2011". Cycle World. July 2011. ISSN 0011-4286.
- "BMW K1600GT The Teutonic Hyper-Tourer". Motorcyclist. September 2011. ISSN 0027-2205.
- "Gallery: MCN Awards 2011". Motor Cycle News. 22 September 2011. ISSN 0027-1853.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BMW K1600GT.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to BMW K1600GTL.|