|BMW N52 engine|
|Manufacturer||BMW, Bayerische Motoren Werke AG|
|Successor||BMW N53 (except North America, Australia and Malaysia),
BMW N20 (North America, Australia and Malaysia)
The BMW N52 is a straight-6 DOHC piston engine which was produced from 2004-2015. It debuted on the E90 330i and E63 630i. In European markets, it began to be phased out following the release of the N53 in 2007. However, in markets such as North America, Australia or Malaysia, the N53 was deemed unsuitable due to the high levels of sulfur in the fuel. Therefore, the N52 remained in production until its replacement by the N20 turbocharged 4-cylinder engine in 2015.
Compared with its M54 predecessor, the N52 features variable valve lift (called Valvetronic by BMW), a lighter block due to the use of a magnesium alloy and an electric water pump and a variable oil pump. Like the M54, the N52 uses an electronic throttle control, variable valve timing to both camshafts (called dual VANOS by BMW) and a infinitely variable length intake manifold (called "DISA" by BMW). Later BMW changed the technology to a dual intake technology for later car models but kept the name DISA.
The N52 engine block is cast with magnesium and aluminum for the crankcase. Magnesium is used to save weight. However, magnesium is subject to a greater risk of corrosion from water, and magnesium may tend to creep under load at high temperatures. Thus, magnesium in its pure form or as a conventional alloy is not suited for permanently conveying high loads and forces of the kind typically encountered in central components of the engine. Therefore, BMW combined the N52 block to use magnesium alloy for the crankcase shell, with an aluminum “inner block” to complement the magnesium disadvantages.
For the cylinder liners the N52 Engine uses Alusil to coat the aluminum cylinder sleeves. Alusil is an aluminium alloy commonly used to make linerless aluminium alloy engine blocks. Alusil, when etched, will expose a very hard silicon precipitate. BMW switched from Nikasil-coated cylinder walls to Alusil in 1996 to eliminate the corrosion problems caused through the use of petrol or gasoline containing sulphur.
Hydraulic valve adjuster problems
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The ticking noise of Hydraulic valve adjuster is a known problem with the N52 engine fitted with manufacturing date prior to November 2008. An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving, recently known after the engines reach 50,000 miles. In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature. BMW dealers' first response is to perform HVA bleeding procedure, however this procedure seems not to resolve the matter. The second attempt to solve this problem is a replacement with improved HVA parts, however this procedure also does not fully address the problem. Finally, a newly designed cylinder head replacement solves the ticking noise problem for vehicles under warranty. Vehicles produced after November, 2008 have already been fitted with the improved cylinder heads that resolve this HVA problem.
|N52B25||2,497 cc (152.4 cu in)||130 kW (170 hp) @ 5800||230 N·m (170 lb·ft) @ 3500-5000||82 mm (3.2 in)||78.8 mm (3.1 in)||11.0||2005|
|150 kW (200 hp) @ 6400||250 N·m (184 lb·ft) @ 2750||82 mm (3.2 in)||78.8 mm (3.1 in)||11.0||2007|
|160 kW (210 hp) @ 6500||250 N·m (180 lb·ft) @ 2750-4250||82 mm (3.2 in)||78.8 mm (3.1 in)||11.0||2005|
|N52B30||2,996 cc (183 cu in)||160 kW (210 hp) @ 6100||270 N·m (200 lb·ft) @ 2500-4250||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2008|
|160 kW (210 hp) @ 6100||280 N·m (210 lb·ft) @ 2500-3500||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2010|
|170 kW (230 hp) @ 6500||270 N·m (200 lb·ft) @ 2750||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2007|
|190 kW (250 hp) @ 6600||300 N·m (220 lb·ft) @ 2500-4000||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2004|
|190 kW (250 hp) @ 6600||310 N·m (230 lb·ft) @ 2600||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2009|
|195 kW (261 hp) @ 6600||315 N·m (232 lb·ft) @ 2750-4250||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2006|
|200 kW (270 hp) @ 6650||315 N·m (232 lb·ft) @ 2750||85 mm (3.3 in)||88 mm (3.5 in)||10.7||2006|
130 kW Applications:
- 2005-2006 E90 323i (for Canadian market only)
- 2005-2007 E60/E61 523i (except North America)
- 2006-2008 E85 Z4 2.5i
150 kW Applications:
- 2007-2011 E90 323i (for Canadian market only)
- 2009-2011 F10 523i sedan (except North America)
- 2009-2011 E89 Z4 sDrive23i (except North America)
160 kW Applications:
- 2005-2010 E83 X3 2.5si, xDrive25i (except North America).
- 2005-2010 E60/E61 525i, 525xi (except North America)
- 2005-2011 E90/E91/E92/E93 325i, 325xi (except North America)
- 2005-2008 E85 Z4 2.5si
Output variances are achieved by fitting different resonant intake manifolds and variations of engine management software.
160 kW Applications:
- 2004-2007 E90/E92/E93 325i, 325xi (North America only)
- 2005-2010 E60/E61 525i, 525xi (North America only)
- 2005-2008 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i (North America only)
- 2009-2010 E84 X1 xDrive25i
- 2008-2011 E82/E88 125i coupe and cabriolet
- 2010-2011 F10 528i Sedan (North America only)
170 kW Applications:
- 2008-2011 E82/E88 128i coupe and cabriolet (North America only)
- 2006-2011 E90/E92/E93 328i (North America only)
- 2008-2011 E60/E61 528i, 528xi (North America only)
190 kW Applications:
- 2008-2011 E89 Z4 sDrive30i
- 2009-2011 E84 X1 xDrive28i
- 2009-2012 E87 130i
- 2004-2008 E90/E92/E93 330i, 330Ci, 330xi
- 2005-2009 E60/E61 530i, 530xi
- 2004-2007 E63/E64 630i
195 kW Applications:
200 kW Applications:
- "BMW's N52 versus N53 – what are we missing?". paultan.org.
- "BMW N20 turbo 4 cylinder versus N52 naturally aspirated 6 cylinder". bimmerboost.com.
- "BMW N52 and N53 24 Valve Six Cylinder Engines". unixnerd.demon.co.uk.
- "2007 BMW 525xi". conceptcarz.com.
- "Inside the N52 Engine". mwerks.com.
- "BMW Pushes Lightweight Technology with Magnesium". Motor1.com.
- "Nikasil Cylinders". www.looking4spares.co.za.
- "BMW E90 valve train (lifter) tick/noise". RTSauto.com.
- "Engine specifications- N52". bmwheaven.com.
- "2007 BMW Z4". conceptcarz.com.
- "Ward's Auto releases annual 10 Best Engines list". autoblog.com.
- "2011 BMW 528i - Short Take Road Test". caranddriver.com.
- "Test Drive: 2011 BMW 528i". autos.ca.
- "2009 BMW 1 Series - Features & Specs". edmunds.com.
|4-cylinder petrol||<< M10||M40||M43||N40 / N42||N43 / N45 / N46 >>|
|6-cylinder petrol||<< M20||M50||M52||M54 / M56||N52||N53 >>|
|S50 / S52||S54|
|<< M88 / M90||S38|
|8-cylinder petrol||M60||M62||N62||N63 >>|
|12-cylinder petrol||M70||M73||N73||N74 >>|