|BMW N55 engine|
The BMW N55 is a turbocharged direct injection straight-6 DOHC engine which began production in 2009. It was launched in the F07 535i Gran Turismo. The N55 began to be phased out following the introduction of the B58 engine in 2015.
|N55B30M0||225 kW (302 hp)
|400 N·m (295 lb·ft)
|N55B30||235 kW (315 hp)
|450 N·m (332 lb·ft)
|N55B30O0||240 kW (322 hp)
|450 N·m (332 lb·ft)
|N55HP||250 kW (335 hp)
|450 N·m (332 lb·ft)
|N55B30T0||265 kW (355 hp)
|465 N·m (343 lb·ft)
|Alpina N55R20A||301 kW (404 hp)
|600 N·m (440 lb·ft) @
|Alpina N55||324 kW (434 hp)
|660 N·m (490 lb·ft) @
|S55B30T0||317 kW (425 hp)
|550 N·m (410 lb·ft)
N55B30M0 (225 kW)
- 2010-2013 E90/E91/E92/E92N/E93 335i
- 2009–present F07 535i GT
- 2010-2013 E82 135i
- 2010-2013 E70 X5 xDrive 35i
- 2010–present F25 X3 xDrive35i
- 2013–2015 E84 X1 xDrive35i
- 2010–2011 F10 535i
- 2012–2015 BMW F30 335i
- 2011–2014 E71 X6 xDrive 35i
- 2014–present F16 X6 xDrive35i
- 2014–present F26 X4 xDrive 35i
- 2014–present F15 x5 xDrive 35i
N55B30 (235 kW)
- 2011–present (2015) F12 640i
- 2012-2015 F20 M135i
- 2012-2015 F01 740i/Li
- 2012-2013 E82/E88 135is
N55B30O0 (240 kW)
N55HP (250 kW)
- 2013-2015 F30 ActiveHybrid 3
N55B30T0 (265 kW)
- 2015–present F26 X4 M40i
N55B30T0 (272 kW)
- 2016–present (2016) F87 M2
Alpina N55 (301 & 324 kW)
N55R20A (301 kW)
- 2013–2017 Alpina F30/F31 B3 Bi-Turbo
- 2013–2017 Alpina F32 B4 Bi-Turbo
- 2014–2017 Alpina F33 B4 Bi-Turbo
Second version (324 kW)
- 2017–present Alpina F30/F31 B3 S Bi-Turbo
- 2017–present Alpina F32/F33 S B4 Bi-Turbo
While its N54 predecessor uses parallel twin-turbochargers, the N55 uses a single twin scroll turbocharger. BMW has used the term "TwinPower Turbo" to describe both twin-turbo and (single turbocharger) twin-scroll systems. Another difference is that the N55 has variable valve lift (called Valvetronic by BMW). Displacement and peak power output are the same as the N54, however fuel economy is improved 15%, emissions have been reduced, less turbo lag and better low-rev torque.
As per the N54, the bore is 84 mm (3.3 in), the stroke is 89.6 mm (3.5 in) and the capacity is 2,979 cc (181.8 cu in). The compression ratio is 10.2:1. The N54's gasoline direct injection system uses piezo injectors, also used in the naturally-aspirated N53 (mostly European markets only), the N55's direct injection uses Bosch solenoid-type injectors. The piezo injectors were more expensive and BMW decided they were not worthwhile in North America, in contrast to Europe which they could perform lean burn to reach their full potential.
The exhaust manifold design, called Cylinder-bank Comprehensive Manifold (CCM) by BMW, aims to reduce the pressure fluctuations to reduce throttle lag and exhaust back-pressure.
The engine includes BOSCH MEVD 17.2 engine management, and supports ROZ(RON) 91-98 octane fuel types (recommended RON 95), Valvetronic III (variable valve lift control) with double VANOS, direct injection and turbocharging. Turbocharging uses 2 sets of exhaust duct to turn 1 turbine wheel, with cylinders 1-3 and 4-6 combined to form 2 exhaust channels.
The N55 is mated to ZF's 8-speed automatic transmission in later applications such as the 2011 535i and 2013 BMW 740i, retaining the previous ZF 6-speed automatic transmission in earlier models. A 6-speed manual is usually available for sedans (excluding the 7-Series, and dropped for the 5 and 6 series for 2015), but not crossovers such as the X3, X5 and X6, and is of limited availability within the United States. The N55 engines in the 2011 BMW 135i and 2013 BMW 135is are mated to a Getrag 7-speed Dual-clutch transmission or a 6-speed manual transmission.
The S55 engine is the high performance version of the N55 engine. Differences compared with the N55 include a closed-deck engine block, lightweight crankshaft, strengthened pistons, different valve material, twin turbos, twin fuel pumps, active exhaust and revised intercoolers.
S55B30T0 (317 kW)
S55B30T0 Design R6 Displacement 2979cm3 Power at speed 317kw=425hp 5500-7500 rpm Power output per liter (kw/l) 106.4 Torque at speed 550Nm at 1850-5500 rpm CR 10.2:1 fuel consumption (L/100KM) 8.3-8.8 CO2 emissions grams per km 194-204 Digital engine electronics MEVD17.2.G ULEV2
- "The New BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo". www.paultan.org.
- "BMW University Technical Training- B58 Engine" (PDF). www.bimmerfile.com.
- "Six-Cylinder 2012 BMW 640i Coupe Priced from $74,475, Convertible from $81,975". Blog.caranddriver.com.
- "2012 BMW M135i". www.autoblog.com.
- "BMW's M135i is much better than it looks". www.ausmotive.com.
- "BMW 135is Coupe - Model Overview". www.bmwusa.com.
- Gratton, Ken (2016-12-23). "The Alpina philosophy - motoring.com.au". motoring.com.au. Retrieved 2016-12-24.
- "Road Vehicle Descriptor (RVD1)". rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- Ryan ZumMallen. "Pop The Hood: Inside the Innovative N55 Engine in the BMW 335i". www.automedia.com.
- "BMW unveils single turbo N55 six-cylinder engine for new 5-series GT". www.motorauthority.com.
- "BMW's Newest I-6 Better, Not Bigger". www.wardsauto.com.
- "BMW N54 and N55 Six Cylinder Turbocharged Engines". www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk.
- "2011 BMW 335i Sedan". www.caranddriver.com.
- "The NEW ///M Motor in Depth". www.bimmerfile.com.
- "F30 powertrain" (PDF). bmwuniversity.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-06-03.
- "Engine Electronics IPO's (F01-02)" (PDF). www.kneb.net. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-06-03.
- "Turbocharging Technology (F30)" (PDF). www.kneb.net. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-06-15.
- "Six-Cylinder Midsize Luxury Sedan Comparison - Audi A6, BMW 535i, Lexus GS 350, Infiniti M37". www.motortrend.com.
- "World Premiere: 2013 BMW 135is Coupe and Convertible". www.bmwblog.com.
- "2011 BMW 135i DCT - BMW Luxury Coupe Review". www.automobilemag.com.
- "F80 M3 / F82 M4 Complete Technical Docs (With S55 Engine Guide)". www.bimmerpost.com.
- "Meet The New S55 Engine". www.bmwblog.com.
- http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/09/12/dyno-test-bmw-335i-and-335is-n54-vs-n55-engine/ comparison of N54 and N55 dyno results
|4-cylinder||<< M10||M40||M43||N40 / N42||N45 / N46 >>|
|6-cylinder||<< M20||M50||M52||M54 / M56||N52 >>|
|<< M30||N53 >>|
|<< M88 / M90||S38|
|S50 / S52||S54|
|6-cylinder turbo||M102||M106||N54||N55 >>|