Local business, global network, Givers Gain
|Headquarters||Charlotte, NC, United States|
|Ivan Misner, Graham Weihmiller|
With over 200,000 members in 7,500 plus chapters worldwide, Business Network International (BNI) is the world's leading referral organization. In 2015 alone, BNI members generated millions of referrals resulting in over $9.3 billion in closed business worldwide. BNI was founded in 1985 by Dr. Ivan Misner "for the primary purpose of building powerful referral networks".
The BNI organization works by creating a group of people from various industries and encouraging regular passing of referrals.
- Each chapter allows one person per occupational classification, and prospective members must be approved via an application process.
- BNI's philosophy is "Givers Gain" - members are expected to focus on giving referrals to other members to build relationships and receive referrals in return.
- BNI draws a distinction between a "referral" and a "lead." A lead is contact information for a prospect for a member's business, while a referral occurs only when the prospect has already expressed interest in the business in question, and is ready to be contacted by the referred BNI member.
- Chapters have specific rules regarding required attendance in order to cultivate the relationships needed to create a comfort level in referring business.
- Chapters track the monetary amount of passed business in order to prove the value of the financial and time commitment.
- Members pay a one-off joining fee, an annual membership fee, and a weekly meeting fee to cover room hire and refreshments.
- Number of chapters: over 7,540 (as of May 2016)
- Number of members: 200000
- Total annual value of referrals: 7.7 million referrals, resulting in $9.3 billion (USD) worth of business
- "BNI web page". Archived from the original on 22 February 2008. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- Jantsch, John (2006). "Ramp Up a Systematic Referral Machine". Duct Tape Marketing. Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson. p. 202. ISBN 978-1-59555-146-7.
- "Why Technology Is Rewarding Close Personal Relationships". California Science & Technology News. 2006-02-23. Archived from the original on September 29, 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "2015 Ends Successfully for BNI". www.bni.com. Retrieved 2016-05-02.