Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Kamrul Hasan Khan|
|Campus||Shahbag, Dhaka city|
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (Bengali: বঙ্গবন্ধু শেখ মুজিব মেডিকেল বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) is the first and only medical university in Bangladesh and one of the zenith medical varsity in the South Asia. It is a public university, established in 1998. The university offers MD, PhD, MS, MPhil, MDS, Diploma and FCPS Courses.
Establishment of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University was an upgrade of the Institute of Postgraduate Medicine and Research (IPGMR). IPGMR was established in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh)by the then Government of Pakistan in December 1965, as a Government-controlled postgraduate institute for medical research and studies. It was housed in the now defunct Hotel Shahbag, once the biggest hotel in Dhaka. The neighbourhood got its name Shahbag from the name of the hotel.
From 2010, many of the medical and public health colleges/institutes have become affiliated to BSMMU. For example, BIRDEM, BIHS, DMC, NICVD, NITOR and others.
Many foreigners, notably from Nepal and Bhutan, study at the university.
BSMMU has an academic library known as BSMMU Central Library, and a digital library. The University publishes a peer-reviewed medical journal Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Journal. It publishes 4 issue per year.
List of Vice-Chancellors
- M. A. Quadery (30 Apr 1998 - 9 Jan 2001)
- Md. Tahir (10 Jan 2001 - 17 May 2001)
- Mahmud Hasan (18 May 2001 - 23 Nov 2001)
- M. A. Hadi (24 Nov 2001 - 21 Dec 2006)
- Md. Tahir (21 Dec 2006 - 4 Nov 2008)
- Md. Nazrul Islam (5 Nov 2008 - 24 Mar 2009)
- Pran Gopal Datta (25 Mar 2009 – 24 Mar 2015)
- Kamrul Hasan Khan (24 March 2015 - present)
BSMMU campus has five multistoried buildings called Blocks A, B, C, D, E, OPD-1, OPD-2 and Cabin Block.
- Block A (7 story) accommodates the library, lecture theatre, auditorium, students hostel, dental faculty and blood transfusion services.
- Block B (eastern-6 story, western-9 story) - houses the administrative offices min and nursing quarters. It is the original building of Hotel Shahbag,
- Block C (10 story) - is the hospital,
- Block D, (18 story) - houses laboratories and emergency units,
- Block-E, (5 story)
- The Cabin Block is the casualty department and out-patient departments.
MS Faculty of Dentistry
1) Conservative dentistry and endodontics
4) Child and Preventive dentistry
5) Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Phase-A 2 years and Phase-B 3 years
- Internal Medicine
- Paediatric Gastroenterology
- Paediatric Hematology and Oncology
- Paediatric Nephrology
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Transfusion Medicine
Phase-A 2 years Phase-B 3 Years
- Cardiac Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Radiology and Imaging
- General Surgery
- Community Ophthalmology
- Hepatobiliary Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Basic Science and Para Clinical Science
- Anatomy (MS) 3 years
- Biochemistry (MD) 3 years
- Microbiology and Immunology (MD) 3 years
- Pathology (MD) 4 years
- Pharmacology (MD) 3 years
- Physiology (MD) 3 years
- Virology (MD)3 years
- Laboratory Medicine (MD) 3 years
- "Welcome to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Website". Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University". Portal. Bangla2000. Retrieved 2008-10-29.
- "Office of the Vice Chancellor". Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University.|