Verkin Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering
Фізико-технічний інститут низьких температур імені Б. І. Вєркіна НАН України
|Director||Naidyuk Yurii Georgievich|
|Website||Institute for Low Temperature|
|47 Nauky Ave., Kharkiv 61103, Ukraine|
The B. Verkin Institute for Low Temperature Physics and Engineering was founded in 1960 by professors Borys Vyerkin, Oleksandr Galkin, B. Eselson and Ihor Dmytrenko. The first director was Vyerkin.
The institute conducts basic research in experimental and theoretical physics, mathematics, as well as in the field of applied physics. Main areas of research are high-temperature superconductivity, weak superconductivity, magneto antiferromagnets, physics of low-dimensional systems, point-contact spectroscopy, quantum crystals, nonlinear phenomena in metals, physics of disordered systems, quantum phenomena in plasticity and others. The institute has published about 250 monographs, textbooks, reference books, more than 12,000 articles and reviews in ranking scientific journals, and has trained more than 850 highly qualified experts — PhDs.
On May 13, 1960 the presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine issued a decision to establish the Kharkiv Physics and Technical Institute for Low Temperatures on the initiative of several scientists from the Ukrainian Institute of Physics and Technology.
The institute was created by nine laboratories involved in low temperature physics. Four math departments were also established. In 1987 they were organized into the ILTPE Mathematics Department.
In 1991 ILTPE was named after its founder — B. Verkin.
- 1960 — 1988 Borys Vyerkin
- 1988 — 1991 Anatolii Zvyagin
- 1991 — 2006 Viktor Yeremenko
- 2006 — 2020 Serhiy Hnatchenko
- 2021 - Yurii Naidyuk
- Department of Magnetism
- Department of Optical and Magnetic Properties of Solids
- Department of Magnetic and Elastic Properties of Solids
- Department of Transport Properties of Conducting and Superconducting Systems
- Department of Physics of Real Crystals
- Department of Thermal Properties and Structure of Solids and Nanosystems
- Department of Physics of Quantum Fluids and Crystals
- Department of Spectroscopy of Molecular Systems and Nanostructured Materials
- Department of Superconducting and Mesoscopic Structures
- Department of Molecular Biophysics
- Department of Point-Contact Spectroscopy
- Department of Theoretical Physics
- Department of Mathematical Physics
- Department of Differential Equations and Geometry
- Department of Statistical Methods in Mathematical Physics
- Department of Function Theory
Scientific & Technical departments
- Department of Information Systems
- Department of low-temperatures and space materials
ILTPE publishes two scientific journals included on a list of leading peer-reviewed scientific journals and publications:
- Low Temperature Physics, published since January 1975 in Russian, as well as the American Institute of Physics in English under the title Low Temperature Physics 1997. Published monthly. The magazine has the highest impact factor of scientific journals in the Ukraine.
- Journal of Mathematical Physics, Analysis, Geometry, published since 2005. Published quarterly in English. ("Journal of Mathematical Physics, Analysis, Geometry" was founded in 1994. Formerly "Matematicheskaya Fizika, Analiz, Geometriya" until July 2005)
- Igor Terekhov (May 25, 2010). "ФТИНТ — Pearl Kharkov". Archived from the original on April 30, 2012. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- Physics and mathematics. Scientific papers and journals