Baa Baa Land
|Baa Baa Land|
|Directed by||Garth Thomas|
|Produced by||Peter Freedman, Michael Acton Smith, Alex Tew|
|Screenplay by||Peter Freedman|
|Edited by||Garth Thomas|
The idea for a film where the only actors are sheep was conceived by producer Peter Freedman, and the film was directed, shot and edited by art film director Garth Thomas on a "modest budget" that was funded by W.D Church.. It was filmed at the Layer Marney lamb and sheep farm near Tiptree in Essex, United Kingdom. It premiered at the Prince Charles Cinema in London's West End in September 2017.
The film is an example of "slow cinema", an art cinema technique that focuses on long takes, minimalism, and often very little to no narrative or dialogue. The film has no plot and is described as the "dullest movie ever made" by producer Peter Freedman. It features "hundreds" of sheep simply standing in fields with very little additional action; each shot lasts between 30 minutes to over 60 minutes. It is intended and expected to put people to sleep, and has been described as "the ultimate insomnia cure".
Baa Baa Land's length of eight hours has led some to call it the nineteenth longest film of all time, the same length as Andy Warhol's 1967 film The Imitation of Christ and five minutes shorter than Empire. Executive producer Michael Acton Smith does not expect Baa Baa Land to "break box-office records", though expects that there may be a significant niche audience for the title.
- Hanrahan, Mark (July 19, 2017). "Is this eight-hour sheep epic `the dullest movie ever'?". Reuters. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- Kirby, Matthew (July 19, 2017). "Filmmakers Set Out To Create An 8-Hour Slo-Mo Movie Starring Only Sheep, Promises To Put You To Sleep". Konbini. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- Masters, Linita (July 19, 2017). "Dullest Movie Ever Made To Benefit Insomniacs Internationally : BAA BAA LAND IS "ULTIMATE INSOMNIA CURE" @calm". Hollywood 360. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- "Eight-hour slow-motion film consisting of sheep grazing to hit red carpet – Farming UK News". www.farminguk.com. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- Ishani, Roy (July 20, 2017). "The Most Boring Movie Ever, 'Baa Baa Land,' Stars Sheep And Has Been Made To Make You Sleep". International Business Times. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- Nelson, Alex (July 21, 2017). "Why I made an eight-hour film about a field of sheep". iNews. Retrieved July 24, 2017.
- Ledbetter, Carly (July 20, 2017). "'Baa Baa Land,' The 'Dullest Movie Ever Made', Promises To Put You To Sleep". HuffPost. Retrieved July 24, 2017.