Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Milan Luthria|
|Written by||Rajat Arora|
|Edited by||Aarif Sheikh|
Baadshaho (English: Kings) is a 2017 Indian period heist action thriller film written by Rajat Arora, and directed and co-produced by Milan Luthria. It features Ajay Devgn, Ileana D'Cruz, Emraan Hashmi, Vidyut Jammwal, Esha Gupta and Sanjay Mishra in the lead roles. The film is set in the emergency era of 1975-77.
The film released worldwide on 1 September 2017.
Maharani Gitanjali (Ileana D'Cruz) is a princess to a royal family in Rajasthan. As every royal family has loads of gold to themselves, so does this royal family, but her ancestors did not hand it over to the government of the country even after the ancestral reign was over. In 1975, the then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi declared the state of emergency in the country. Around the same time, Sanjeev (Priyanshu Chatterjee), an influential person in the Congress government, has been snubbed badly by Gitanjali. To seek revenge, Sanjeev asks army officer Colonel Rudra Pratap Singh (Denzil Smith) to confiscate all the gold in Gitanjali’s possession and to put her behind bars. Rudra follows Sanjeev’s instructions and imprisons Gitanjali after forcibly taking possession of the gold rightfully belonging to the government but still held by her.
Rudra asks his trusted lieutenants, Major Seher Singh (Vidyut Jammwal) and Captain Somesh to transfer all the gold to Delhi safely to the government and for that, he gives Seher Singh a custom-made truck with a powerful safe in it, in which he keeps all the confiscated gold. As Rudra and Seher Singh are discussing, Sanjana (Esha Gupta), Gitanjali’s trusted aide, is sent by her to eavesdrop their conversation and get a whiff of their plan. Gitanjali then plans an entire scheme and wants Sanjana to accompany Bhawani Singh (Ajay Devgn) in getting all the gold back and eventually release her from the jail.
Gitanjali briefs Bhawani Singh, her trusted lieutenant, about the gold and how she needs it all back to look after the people in her village. The loyal Bhawani Singh promises to retrieve the gold and return the same to Gitanjali with whom he shares a romantic relationship.
Bhawani Singh with the support of Daliya (Emraan Hashmi) and Guruji (Sanjay Mishra), besides Sanjana, of course, chalk out an entire plan and seek out on a mission. In one scene where the males are arrested, Sanjana uses her bra to unlock the cell.The four follow the truck in which Seher Singh and his deputy, Somesh (Arjun Dwivedi), are carrying the gold to the Delhi. The group of four, at one point in the journey, takes control of the truck after throwing out Seher Singh and Somesh. The job now is to open the strong safe, something at which Guruji is adept. Meanwhile, Seher Singh, boss Rudra Pratap Singh and other army and police officers are hot on the trail of Bhawani Singh and the truck. At one point, the army officers seek the help of police officer Durjan (Sharad Kelkar) but Bhawani Singh and his team members outwit him too.
But before Bhawani Singh can return the gold to Gitanjali Devi, a very shocking revelation is unveiled in front of him, that Gitanjali used him for her personal pleasure and motives, and that Seher was her aide. Bhawani reveals that he already knew dark truth about Gitanjali and his team decided to distribute gold among poor people. After the war between Seher and Bhawani’s team ends, Gitanjali realised that she is alone in the desert with a low chance of survival while Bhawani and his team have escaped.
- Ajay Devgn as Bhavani Singh
- Ileana D'Cruz as Rani Gitanjali Devi
- Emraan Hashmi as Dalia
- Esha Gupta as Sanjana
- Vidyut Jammwal as Army Officer Major Seher Singh
- Sanjay Mishra as Tikla aka Guruji
- Priyanshu Chatterjee as Sanjeev Kumar (politician)
- Sharad Kelkar as Police Inspector Durjan
- Sunny Leone Special appearance in the song "Piya More"
- Lankesh Bhardwaj as Supdt. Meena
- Adil Hussain as Officer
- Denzil Smith as Rudra Singh
- Ravi Kale as Babu Moshai
- Aishmita Meena as Village Lady
In January 2015, Ajay Devgn signed Milan Luthria's Baadshaho, marking his fourth collaboration with the director after Kachche Dhaage (1999), Chori Chori (2003) and Once Upon a Time in Mumbai (2010). This was the third collaboration of Emraan Hashmi with the director after Once Upon A Time In Mumbai and The Dirty Picture (2012). Luthria stated that besides directing he was also co-producing the film along with Bhushan Kumar's T-Series. Ankit Tiwari was music director.
Actresses Aishwarya Rai, Kareena Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Shruti Hassan and Priyanka Chopra were speculated as the lead actress opposite Ajay Devgn. Though Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif liked the script, they declined the offer due to non-availability. The film was to star Diljit Dosanjh initially, though he opted out of the project subsequently and was replaced by Emraan Hashmi.
Later in June 2016, actors Vidyut Jammwal, Ileana D'Cruz and Esha Gupta were officially confirmed to be in the cast. Priyanshu Chatterjee was cast in a special appearance for the role of the politician Sanjeev, modelled after Sanjay Gandhi. In August 2016, Sunny Leone was signed in for a special appearance in a song.
The makers earlier announced their worldwide release as 26 January 2017. However, upon the request from producers Ritesh Sidhwani and Rakesh Roshan of the films Raees and Kaabil respectively, Bhushan Kumar moved the worldwide release date to 12 May 2017. In early December 2016, Devgn announced 1 September 2017 as the worldwide release date.
|Soundtrack album by Rahul Dev Burman, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Tanishk Bagchi, Ankit Tiwari, Abhijit Vaghani, DJ Chetas and Traditional Folk|
|Released||19 August 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The soundtrack was released on 19 August 2017 by T-Series, which consists of eight songs, composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Ankit Tiwari, Abhijit Vaghani, DJ Chetas and Traditional Folk. The songs "Mere Rashke Qamar" and "Socha Hai" ("Kehdoon Tumhe" from the 1975 film Deewaar) are recreations for the film by lyricist Manoj Muntashir and composer Tanishk Bagchi. Their originals were written by Fana Buland Shehri and Sahir Ludhianvi, and were composed by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and R. D. Burman respectively.
All lyrics written by Manoj Muntashir.
|1.||"Mere Rashke Qamar"||R.D. Burman, Tanishk Bagchi||Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||3:40|
|2.||"Piya More"||Ankit Tiwari||Mika Singh, Neeti Mohan||4:17|
|3.||"Socha Hai"||Tanishk Bagchi||Kishore Kumar, Jubin Nautiyal, Neeti Mohan||2:50|
|4.||"Hoshiyar Rehna" (Traditional lyrics)||Traditional Folk||Neeraj Arya's Kabir Café||4:07|
|5.||"Mere Rashke Qamar" (Version 2)||R.D. Burman, Tanishk Bagchi||Tulsi Kumar||3:41|
|6.||"Socha Hai" (2nd Version)||Tanishk Bagchi||Jubin Nautiyal, Neeti Mohan||4:13|
|7.||"Mere Rashke Qamar" (Remix)||Tanishk Bagchi, Remix by: DJ Chetas||Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||3:36|
|8.||"Socha Hai" (Love Version)||A.D. Kumar, Abhijit Vaghani||Jubin Nautiyal, Neeti Mohan||4:28|
|10th Mirchi Music Awards||Male Vocalist of The Year||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan for "Mere Rashke Qamar"||Nominated|||
- "Sangeeta "Ahir to distribute 'Baadshaho' nationally"".
- "Ajay "Devgn announces Baadshaho release date"".
- "BAADSHAHO - BBFC". BBFC. 1 September 2017.
- "Baadshaho - Movie - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- "Box Office: Worldwide collections and day wise break up of Baadshaho".
- Cain, Rob. "Ajay Devgn Fans Swamp 'Baadshaho' Teaser With 5 Million Youtube Views".
- "Ileana D'Cruz: The idea of dropping the jacket in Baadshaho was mine".
- "Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi team up for Milan Luthria's film set in Emergency period". 22 June 2016.
- "Milan "Luthria to direct Abhishek Singh in Baadshaho"".
- "Bhushan Kumar and Milan Luthria roped in Ankit Tiwari for a song in Baadshaho"
- "Is Ash Gayatri Devi in Baadshaho?". 14 April 2016.
- "dna". dna.
- "Kareena Kapoor Khan not doing Ajay Devgn starrer 'Baadshaho'". 23 March 2016.
- "Shruti Haasan to star with Ajay Devgn in "Baadshaho"". 22 July 2015.
- "Priyanka Chopra to star with Ajay Devgn and Vidyut Jammwal in Badshaaho?". 18 March 2016.
- "Milan "Luthria reveals that he approached Kareena Kapoor Khan and Katrina Kaif for Ileana D'Cruz's role in 'Baadshaho'"".
- "Emraan Hashmi replaces Diljit Dosanjh in Ajay Devgn's 'Baadshaho'". 20 June 2016.
- "dna". dna.
- "'Baadshaho' "to go on floors in August"".
- "Baadshaho review: Kaun banega con?".
- "Sunny "Leone to groove with Ajay Devgn in 'Baadshaho'"".
- "Milan Luthria's Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi-starrer Baadshaho goes on floors". 24 August 2016.
- "Ajay Devgn and Emraan Hashmi rekindle old bonhomie in Jodhpur for Baadshah hoo"
- "Milan "Luthria's next will have Rajasthan as its major backdrop"".
- "dna". dna.
- "Ileana "D'Cruz: 'Baadshaho' was incredibly special"".
- "Baadshaho: "Ajay Devgn Completes Rajasthan Shooting Schedule"".
- "Ajay Devgn's 'Baadshaho' stays clear of Raees-Kaabil box office clash". 10 July 2016.
- "Ajay Devgn announces the release date of 'Baadshaho' with a philosophical message - Times of India ►".
- "'Baadshaho' new song: Ajay Devgn-Ileana D'cruz's 'Mere Rashke Qamar' is a musical delight". The Times of India. 14 July 2017. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- Arushi Jain (14 July 2017). "Baadshaho song Mere Rashke Qamar: Ajay Devgn-Ileana D'Cruz romance and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's voice make it special". The Indian Express. Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "Baadshaho song Piya More launch: Sunny Leone, Emraan Hashmi indulge in Twitter banter". 24 July 2017.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-13.