Baaghi (2016 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sabbir Khan|
|Produced by||Sajid Nadiadwala|
|Written by||Sanjeev Datta|
|Edited by||Manan Sagar|
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
|Box office||est.₹126.96 crore|
Baaghi (English: Rebel) is a 2016 Indian martial arts film directed by Sabbir Khan and produced by Sajid Nadiadwala under his banner Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment. It features Tiger Shroff and Shraddha Kapoor in lead roles, with Sudheer Babu and Sunil Grover in supporting roles. Journalists noted similarities between the film and the 2011 Indonesian film The Raid: Redemption and the 2004 Telugu-language Indian film Varsham.
The film was released worldwide on 29 April 2016. Made on a budget of ₹37 crore (US$5.5 million), Baaghi has earned over ₹127 crore (US$19 million) worldwide. The film has grossed 100 crores from India.
The movie starts with martial arts champion Raghav (Sudheer Babu) kidnapping Sia (Shraddha Kapoor) from her film's set in Hyderabad and taking her to Bangkok. Sia's father P.P. Khurana (Sunil Grover) goes to government offices and the police for help but no one is ready to assist them since Raghav is an influential man. Khurana then turns to Sia's ex-boyfriend, Ronny Singh (Tiger Shroff).
In a flashback, Ronny and Sia meet on a train. Raghav sees Sia at the train station and starts to like her. He tells his men to get information about her. Ronny visits the school of Guruswamy in Kerala. In a letter to Guruswamy, Ronny's father explains that Ronny is a Baaghi (rebel), and asks him to make Ronny a good human being. Ronny and Sia fall in love, and Sia gives him a ring she got from her father, asking him to always keep it. Raghav asks for Sia's hand from Khurana, and Khurana is so lost by greed when he sees how much money Raghav offers for Sia. He agrees to hand Sia over to Raghav but when he sees that Ronny has Sia's ring, he realises she is in love with Ronny. He informs Raghav, who decides to kill Ronny.
Ronny beats up Raghav's men when they manhandle Subbu, a mute little boy Ronny is close to, only for Raghav to get him arrested later on. Guruswamy tries to persuade Raghav, his son, to stop pursuing Sia, but Raghav poisons and kills him to get him out of the way. Ronny is heartbroken to hear of Guruswamy's death, since he had seen him as a father figure. Khurana then creates a misunderstanding between Sia and Ronny to separate them, which works, and the two part ways.
In the present, Ronny reaches Bangkok and visits Raghav's fight club, beating the strongest fighter there to get Raghav's attention. The next day, Ronny breaks into the house of Raghav's right-hand man, Biju, and threatens Biju's wife at gunpoint, forcing him to reveal Sia's location. Finding out she was at the hospital, Ronny saves Sia and escapes with her under both of them being disguised as a doctor and nurse. The two stop at an island on their way back to India, where Sia discovers her father's deceit when she sees that Ronny is still wearing her ring. The couple reconciles but Raghav and his men attack them. Biju shoots Ronny, who falls off a cliff.
Raghav takes Sia back to his place. It is then revealed that Ronny is alive. It turns out that Biju had used blank bullets in his gun, sparing him as Ronny had spared his wife's life earlier. Raghav kills Biju when Biju says that he believes Ronny to be right.
Ronny storms Raghav's building and single-handedly fights off all of the killers and swordsmen in Raghav's employ. He reaches Raghav, who initially overpowers him, but when Raghav reveals that he was the one who murdered Guruswamy, Ronny becomes enraged and uses Guruswamy's signature moves to kill Raghav. At the end, Ronny, now happily together with Sia, becomes the new teacher in Guruswamy's school, where a statue of Guruswamy now stands.
- Tiger Shroff as Ronny Singh
- Shraddha Kapoor as Sia Khurana
- Sudheer Babu as Raghav Shetty (Viraj Adhav as the dubbing voice)
- Paras Arora
- Shaurya Bhardwaj as Guruswami
- Sourav Chakraborty as Biju
- Sunil Grover as PP Khurrana (Sia's father)
- Sumit Gulati as Sukhi
- Jagdish Kansara as Lawyer
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as Film Producer
- Buddya Sunari Magar as Refree
- Sanjay Mishra as Harry
- Prashant Singh as Gopi
- Ron Smoorenburg as Fight Club Fighter - Jack
- Chivpatrick Tang as Yong
- Kazu Patrick Tang as Yong
- Jason Tham as Kim
- Aryan Prajapati as Subbu
Shroff trained and took up stunt classes for the film. Sajid Nadiadwala hired a special team of 50 people to keep Shroff's look under wraps. The makers did not want his look to be revealed because of his role in the film being distinct from his role in Heropanti. Telugu actor Sudheer Babu was signed to play a negative role, making his Bollywood debut. Shooting for Baaghi started on 27 May 2015. The shooting of the film completed on 21 February 2016. The film was extensively shot in India and Thailand. Soma Kerala Palace, Kochi was shown in the movie as the KARMA Institute (school of Guruswamy). Song Sab Tera was shot in the exotic Poda Island.
|Soundtrack album by Meet Bros, Amaal Mallik, Ankit Tiwari, Manj Musik and Pranaay Rijia|
|Released||29 March 2016|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Singles from Baaghi|
The music of the film is composed by Meet Bros, Amaal Mallik, Ankit Tiwari, Manj Musik and Pranaay Rijia while the background score is given by Julius Packiam. The lyrics of the movie are penned by Kumaar, Abhendra Kumar Upadhyay, Sanjeev Chaturvedi, Raftaar, Sabbir Khan and Rahul B.Seth. The first song of the film Sab Tera was released on 18 March 2016 which is sung by Shraddha Kapoor and Armaan Malik. The second song of the film titled as Let's Talk About Love which is sung by Raftaar and Neha Kakkar was released on 25 March 2016.  The full Soundtrack album of the film was released on 29 March 2016 which includes 6 songs.
|1.||"Agar Tu Hota"||Abhendra Kumar Upadhyay||Ankit Tiwari||Ankit Tiwari||5:28|
|2.||"Cham Cham"||Kumaar||Meet Bros||Meet Bros, Monali Thakur||4:44|
|3.||"Girl I Need You"||Kumaar||Meet Bros||Meet Bros, Arijit Singh, Roach Killa, Khushboo Grewal||4:57|
|4.||"Let's Talk About Love"||Raftaar, Sabbir Khan||Manj Musik||Raftaar, Neha Kakkar||3:21|
|5.||"Sab Tera"||Sanjeev Chaturvedi||Amaal Mallik||Armaan Malik, Shraddha Kapoor||3:48|
|6.||"Get Ready To Fight"||Rahul B. Seth, Sabbir Khan||Pranaay Rijia||Benny Dayal, Siddharth Basrur||3:24|
On 1 May 2017, Tiger Shroff posted the first look poster of the film on his Twitter account. The producer of the film, Sajid Nadiadwala, collaborated with Fox Star Studios and the film was released under Fox Star Studios and Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment. The film is directed by Ahmed Khan. The film was released worldwide on 30 March 2018. A third installment was also announced under the title of Baaghi 3, with Nadiadwala the producer, Khan the director, and Shroff in the lead role.
- "Baaghi similar to The Raid, producer Guneet Monga files injunction". Hindustan Times, New Delhi. 8 April 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- Here's Proof: Tiger Shroff-Shraddha Kapoor's 'Baaghi' copied from 'Varsham' and 'The Raid: Redemption'!. DNA India (15 March 2016)
- Mehta, Ankita (11 May 2016). "Box office collection: 'Baaghi' grosses Rs. 100 crore in India; Tiger-Shraddha's film set to beat 'Kapoor and Sons'". International Business Times. Retrieved 18 August 2016.
- "Tiger Shrofs training hard for his upcoming film 'Bghi'". The Indian Express. 18 May 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Sajid Nadiadwala: The story of Tiger's Baaghi came from me". Roshmila Bhattacharya. 2 June 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Sajid Nadiadwala provides additional security for 'Baaghi'". Mohar Basu. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Shraddha Kapoor, Tiger Shroff to start shooting for 'Baaghi' soon". Dimple Bajwa. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Tiger Shroff's 'Baaghi' starts shooting tomorrow". PTI. 26 May 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Bollywood Movie Baaghi Shooting Locations". www.bollylocations.com. Retrieved 2017-05-18.
- "Shraddha Kapoor lends voice to high-pitch Sab Tera song in 'Baaghi'". The Indian Express. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Baaghi (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) – EP by Ankit Tiwari, Amaal Mallik, Manj Musik & Meet Bros on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "Tiger Shroff reveals crackling new look from Baaghi 2 and drops release date". Deccan Chronicle. 2 May 2017. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "The third instalment in #Baaghi film series announced: #Baaghi3... Here's the official announcement". 19 February 2018. Retrieved 19 February 2018.