Babai (Pashtun tribe)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Babai (Pashto: بابئی or بابئے), also known as Babi (Pashto: بابی ), is a Gharghashti Pashtun tribe.
Babai was the third son of Ghurghust. He had four sons, Jabrael, Mikael, Israfiel, and Izrael, named after the four principle angels. However , these names were later changed to Mirzai, Sud, Israel and Katozai respectively. Historians points out a large and important tribe in Persia (Iran) called Babi which may be related to Afghan Babis.
This tribe lives mostly in Quetta, Pakistan and Zabol Province, Afghanistan.< The tribe speaks the most archaic and soft dialect of Pashto language, referred to as Kandahari Pashto dialect or the Southern Dialect.
The babi tribe of Junagadh State, India who formed Babi Dynasty also belong to the same Babai tribe and trace back their roots to Quetta. Apart from this many babi tribesmen live in India , but they do not speak Pashto as their mother tongue, unlike the Babais of Pakistan or Afghanistan
- Nawab Muhammad Dilawar Khanji Babi, 14th Governor of Sindh, Pakistan and Nawab of Junagadh State
- Nawab Muhammad Mahabat Khanji Babi, of Junagadh State
- Nawab Muhammad Jahangir Khanji Babi, present Nawab of Junagadh State
- Abdul Majeed Babai, Minister of Information & Culture , Afghanistan (Assassinated by Taliban in Kandahar)
- Pashtun tribes
- Pathans of Gujarat
- List of Sunni Muslim dynasties
- Babi Dynasty
- Nawab of Junagarh
- "AfghanTribes". afghantribes.com.
- "Sociolinguistic Survey of Northern Pakistan, Volume 4 Pashto, Waneci, Ormuri" (PDF).
- Babai, Khan (20 dec 2014). "Babi tribe". www.barmazid.com. Check date values in:
|This article about ethnicity or ethnology is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|