Babak Khorramdin (director)
|Born||23 September 1974|
|Died||15 May 2021 (aged 46)|
Khorramdin's works include the short films Boor Bijadeh Rang (2007), Tuesday: Mom (2009), the semi-feature film Aperture (2010), the feature film An Elegy for Yashar, made in London in 2013, and three short fiction films called Cut (2004).
Khorramdin received the award for best short fiction film for Boor Bijadeh Rang at the Asa International Film Festival (Humanitarian Films) in 2009, and his works were nominated in various categories for multiple awards ceremonies, earning him the Diploma of Honor for Best Director for Boor Bijadeh Rang at the 5th Parvin Etesami International Film Festival in 2009; the best director, the best screenplay and the best voice editing for Boor Bijadeh Rang at the 6th Nahal Student Film Festival (University of Arts) in 2009, and a nomination for the best filming and editing.
Khorramdin was murdered by his parents Akbar and Iran in Ekbatan, Tehran, in May 2021. On 16 May, after parts of his mutilated body were found by a municipal worker in Ekbatan, Khorramdin's parents were arrested by the police and subsequently confessed to killing their son. The parent were unrepentant, accusing their son of being corrupt for not having married.
On 17 May, Khorramdin's father confessed that he and his wife had drugged and anesthetized their child and tied his legs with a linen bandage, put a plastic bandage around his neck, and stabbed him several times afterwards. After mutilating their son's body in their bathroom, his remains were put in three handbags and dumped in the garbage bins in phase 3 of Ekbatan, Ariashahr and Maidan Sanat around midnight. Akbar Khorramdin stated that their motivation for the murder was the victim's mistreatment towards them and his apparently unfounded relationships with students.
On 19 May, Khorramdin's parents confessed that they had killed their son-in-law Faramarz and daughter Arezoo in the same way in 2011 and 2018, dismembering them and throwing their bodies in the trash. Lack of "morality" was the motivation behind killing their son-in-law, while the reason for their daughter's murder was described by them as "alcohol and drug use and affairs with strangers." According to officials, a licensed psychiatrist has confirmed the couple's mental well-being.
- "قتل فجیع یک کارگردان سینمای ایران 'به دست والدین'". BBC News فارسی (in Persian). Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Iranian film director murdered by family in so-called 'honor killing'". Arab News. 19 May 2021. Retrieved 20 May 2021.
- Kitching, Chris (19 May 2021). "Film director murdered and dismembered 'by parents angry he wasn't married yet'". mirror. Retrieved 20 May 2021.
- EDT, Jack Dutton On 5/19/21 at 11:31 am (19 May 2021). "Film director murdered and dismembered by family after marriage row". Newsweek. Retrieved 20 May 2021.
- "بابک خرمدین: فیلم را در لندن چریکی ساختیم". سینمای هنر و تجربه (in Persian). 5 January 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Gay Ali Fazeli Beheaded and Left Under a Tree Sparking Anger in Iran". Al Bawaba. Retrieved 20 May 2021.
- "درباره بابک خرمدین، قتل و "سوگنامه اش "". ایسنا (in Persian). 17 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "قتل بابک خرمدین کارگردان سینما". ایسنا (in Persian). 17 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "زندگینامه: بابک خرمدین (۱۳۵۳-۱۴۰۰)". همشهری آنلاین (in Persian). 17 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "جزییات قتل بابک خرمدین، سینماگر؛ پدر و مادری که فرزندشان را تکهتکه کردند". ایران اینترنشنال (in Persian). 17 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "'They Were Morally Corrupt': Killings, Father's Gruesome Confessions Shock Iran".
- "انتشار جزئیاتی از قتل بابک خرمدین؛ والدین او پشیمان نیستند". رادیو فردا (in Persian). Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "جزئیات قتل «بابک خرمدین»". خبرگزاری مهر | اخبار ایران و جهان | Mehr News Agency (in Persian). 17 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "Iran stunned by case of couple who drugged and dismembered son". the Guardian. 21 May 2021. Retrieved 22 May 2021.
- "'پدر و مادر بابک خرمدین به قتل دختر و داماد هم اعتراف کردند'". BBC News فارسی (in Persian). Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "پدر و مادر بابک خرمدین به قتل دختر و داماد هم اعتراف کردند". ایسنا (in Persian). 19 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "پدر بابک خرمدین: دختر و دامادم را هم کشتهام؛ عذاب وجدان ندارم". ایران اینترنشنال (in Persian). 19 May 2021. Retrieved 19 May 2021.
- "پدر و مادر بابک خرمدین به دو قتل دیگر اعتراف کردند". رادیو فردا (in Persian). Retrieved 19 May 2021.
Media related to Babak Khorramdin (director) at Wikimedia Commons