Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University
BBAU Main Building
|Affiliation||UGC, AIU, NAAC|
|Chancellor||Navjivan Lal Lakhanpal|
|Location||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India|
|Campus||250 Acre Urban|
Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) is a Central University in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The university is named after Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution.
BBAU's schools are:
- School for Ambedkar Studies
- School for Information Science & Technology
- School for Environmental Sciences
- School for Education
- School for Bio-Sciences & Bio-technology
- School for Legal Studies
- School for Physical Sciences
- School for Management
- University Institute of Engineering and Technology
School for Environmental Sciences
Department of Environmental Science
The Department of Environmental Science (DES) under SES runs a two-year full-time M.Sc. Environmental Science since its inception in July 1997. It started another two-year M.Sc. course in the session 2007-08 as Environmental Microbiology with emphasis on industrial waste management. The department offers Ph.D. degrees in Environmental Science. There are three professors, one reader and five lecturers in the department from specializations such as Environmental Microbiology, Stress Physiology, Environmental Biotechnology, Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Microbial Ecology, Environmental Toxicology, Environmental Chemistry, and Environmental Management.
The department has shifted to a new building with a Central Instrumentation Laboratory (CIL), Central Research Lab, M.Sc. Environmental Science Lab and M.Sc. Environmental Microbiology. For CIL, certain major equipment such as atomic absorption spectrophotometer, HPLC, fluorescence spectrophotometer, UV-Vis-double beam spectrophotometer, trinocular microscope with phase contrast and fluorescent facilities are in process. A field research laboratory with a greenhouse, net house and tissue culture facility has also been established.
The department organizes regular weekend seminars where students speak on topics of their choice, to harness their oration skills and to create general awareness on aspects of environmental issues. The department actively organizes special programmes on current topics in environmental science.
The Department of Environmental Science has ten faculty members engaged in postgraduate teaching and research. The current emphasis is on developing an individual core thematic research group with specializations of environmental sciences integrating its interdisciplinary nature. The main research activities of the department are provided below:
- Environmental stress on the growth response of medicinal plants
- Bioremediation of environmental contaminants including heavy metals
- Soil health and management
- Synegistic effect of herbicides and air pollutants on plants
- Physiological response and mechanism of metal tolerance in lichens of Garhwal Himalayas
- Land use modelling, water resource management, environmental planning, remote sensing and GIS
Department of Environmental Microbiology
The Department of Environmental Microbiology (DEM) under the School for Environmental Sciences (SES) is running two-year full-time, M.Sc. Environmental Microbiology. It was started as M.Sc. Environmental Microbiology under Environmental Sciences from the session in 2007-2008. The department has been sanctioned as independent by UGC-2010 under School for Environmental Sciences. The department offers Ph.D. degree in Environmental Microbiology.
There are one professor, two associate professors and three assistant professors in the department with diverse fields of specialization, including microbial ecology, bioremediation and metagenomics, rhizosphere microbiology, stress physiology and general microbiology. The department has a well-equipped M.Sc. laboratory.
The department organizes regular weekend seminars in which students give presentations on topics related to their courses of environmental microbiology. Due to the rapid growth of Indian society and global interaction, there is contamination of food, water and also the challenge of managing the limited natural resources of the country. Hence, to orient the society for new challenges, the school has started new courses for the M.Sc. degree in the areas of food microbiology and toxicology, industrial microbiology and nanoscience and nanotechnology under the Contemporary and Innovative Courses Programme.
Environmental Microbiology endeavors for field-scale demonstration and optimization of technology for detoxification of distillery and pulp paper mill waste for the control of environmental pollution and conservation of aquatic resources for sustainable development of the industry.
University Institute of Engineering and Technology
Director : Dr. Vipin Saxena
This university has a specific mandate for uplifting the education and economic status of the people belonging to the downtrodden section of the society by provisioning for integrated courses in science and key frontier areas of technology and other allied disciplines. In order to achieve the objectives of the university, courses in engineering and technology are proposed to be started in the university with the opening of four-year degree courses in computer engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, electronics & communication engineering and electrical engineering with a provision for a dual degree in more than one area and also leading to B. Tech./M.B.A. This school offers regular courses in the field of engineering and technology. Though it recently began started offering a graduate program, as of 2014 it has been offering four-year undergraduate programs (B.Tech) with the following specializations:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Department of Nuclear Medicine and Biophysical Engineering
Students are admitted to the B.Tech programs of the above-mentioned departments.
- Online, India Today (26 February 2014). "Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University invites applications for M.Pharm programs : Notification". IndiaToday.in. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- India (11 August 2015). "Lucknow's Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar Central University". The Indian Express. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "15-year-old Sushma Verma, the youngest postgraduate in the country, has now achieved yet another milestone by becoming the youngest Indian to get enrolled in the PhD course at Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU) in Lucknow.". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. 25 July 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015. External link in
- "M Y Khan, Dean, School for Biosciences and Biotechnology, Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University (BBAU), Lucknow, who has extensively dealt with the issue as a scientist.". The Himalayan Times. 29 September 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.