Babatunde Ayodeji Ogunnaike
|Alma mater||University of Lagos (B Sc.),|
University of Wisconsin Madison (MSc., Ph.D)
|Institutions||University of Lagos,|
University of Delaware
Babatunde Ayodeji Ogunnaike (1956–present) is an American chemical engineer of Nigerian descent and the William L. Friend Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering at the University Of Delaware (UD). He is the former Dean of UD's College of Engineering.
Education and career
He commenced academic work as a lecturer at the department of chemical engineering, University of Lagos, in 1982 and became senior lecturer and successively, associate professor of chemical engineering. He continued lecturing at the University of Lagos until 1988.
Ogunnaike was a research engineer with the process control group of the Shell Development Corporation in Houston, Texas from 1981 to 1982. He worked as a researcher for DuPont and was also a consultant to several companies including Gore, PPG Industries, and Corning Inc.
He joined the faculty of the University of Delaware in 2002 and was appointed to the William L. Friend Professorship of Chemical in 2008. His title became the William L. Friend Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering when the name of the department was changed in January 2012. He leads the Ogunnaike Research Group. He has also been a visiting professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the African University of Science and Technology, Abuja.
Ogunnaike acted as interim Dean of the College of Engineering at the University of Delaware beginning in July 2011, and was named Dean of the College of Engineering effective July 1, 2013. He retired as Dean on October 1, 2018 but remained on the faculty.
Ogunnaike is the author and editor of several books, including Random phenomena : fundamentals of probability and statistics for engineers (2009) and Process dynamics, modeling and control (1994). His books, papers and book chapters are used to educate engineers in instrumentation, systems and control at many universities. He was associate editor of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers’ IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology and the American Chemical Society’s Industrial & Engineering Chemistry.
His research focuses on modeling and control of industrial processes; the application of process analytical technology for control of pharmaceutical processes; identification and control of nonlinear systems; the interaction of process design and process operability; applied statistics; biological control systems; and systems biology with application to neuronal responses and cancer.
- Ogunnaike, Babatunde A.; Ray, W. Harmon (1994). Process dynamics, modeling and control. New York [u.a.]: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-509119-9.
- Doyle, F. J.; Pearson, R. K.; Ogunnaike, B. A. (2002). Identification and control using Volterra models. London: Springer. ISBN 978-1852-331-498.
- Ogunnaike, Babatunde A. (2009). Random phenomena : fundamentals of probability and statistics for engineers. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. ISBN 978-14200-449-73.
- US Patent on Predictive Regulatory Controller.
- 2014 Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors
- 2012 Fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Engineering
- 2012 Fellow of the American National Academy of Engineering
- 2009 Fellow of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 2008 AACC Control Engineering Practice award
- 2007 ISA Eckman Award
- 2004 University of Delaware's College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching award
- 1998 American Institute of Chemical Engineers CAST Computing Practice Award
- Member of the American Statistical Association
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Roberts, Karen B. (January 26, 2012). "Name change Chemical engineering now Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering". UDaily. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Black Scholar Babatunde A. Ogunnaike Is New Dean of Engineering at the University of Delaware". Good Black News. 2013-07-15. Retrieved October 23, 2013.
- "New Assignments for Nine Black Faculty Members in Higher Education". The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education. October 9, 2017. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Babatunde Ogunnaike". CRC Press.
- "Levi Thompson Named Dean of College of Engineering". UDaily.
- "Engr. Prof. B. A. Ogunnaike". Nigerian Academy of Engineering. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Roberts, Karen B. (July 1, 2013). "New engineering dean". UDaily. University of Delaware. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- Moncure, Sue (September 29, 2008). "Ogunnaike named William L. Friend Chair of Chemical Engineering". UDaily. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "The Ogunnaike Research Group". University of Delaware. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Mbugua, Martin (May 30, 2008). "UD engineering profs to teach in Nigeria this summer". UDaily. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Faculty and Student Honors: National Academy of Engineering elects Ogunnaike". University of Delaware.
- "Babatunde Ogunnaike". Johns Hopkins University: Institute for Multiscale Modelling of Biological Interactions. Archived from the original on 2005-03-17.
- "Ogunnaike will be the inaugural speaker for the McFerrin Lectures". Texas A&M University Engineering News. November 11, 2008. Archived from the original on 2013-10-29.
- "US Patent 20050256593 - Predictive regulatory controller". Google Patents. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Payne, Ambre Alexander (December 17, 2014). "NAI Fellow Dean Ogunnaike named 2014 fellow of National Academy of Inventors". UDaily. Retrieved 17 October 2017.
- Roberts, Karen B. (July 6, 2012). "Birth of an educator Ogunnaike elected to Nigerian Academy of Engineering, reflects on journey". UDaily. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Babatunde Ogunnaike elected to the National Academy of Engineering". The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education. February 11, 2012.
- "Dr. Babatunde A. Ogunnaike". American Institute of Chemical Engineers. July 2014. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Control Engineering Practice Award". American Automatic Control Council. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "UD's Ogunnaike receives ISA Eckman Award". UDaily. September 7, 2007. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "College of Engineering Teaching Award". University of Delaware. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Britt, Herb (1998). "Babatunde Ogunnaike Wins CAST Division Co mputing Practice Award" (PDF). CAST Communications. 21 (2): 15–16. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Committee on Review of Army Research Laboratory Programs for Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority Institutions". National Academies of Sciences Engineering Medicine. Retrieved 17 October 2017.