||This article needs to be updated. (February 2014)|
Babble is an online magazine and blog network targeting young, educated, urban parents. Their site operated a large network of parent blogs, employing many bloggers on the subjects of parenting and child-raising.
Babble was launched in December 2006 by co-founders Rufus Griscom and Alisa Volkman. After one year, the site grew to half a million readers per month. Babble Media became an independent company in 2009, and was acquired by Disney Interactive Media Group in 2011.
The American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) shortlisted Babble for its 2008 “General Excellence Online” award, writing that “[the] magazine skillfully combines in-depth reporting, thoughtful journalism, a dazzling variety of blog voices and visually arresting, interactive digital features. The result is a smart, hip and endlessly entertaining website that has revolutionized the parenting field.”
Babble's advertising and sponsorship policies came under fire in 2010 and 2011 after several parenting authors and bloggers noted their breastfeeding guide was sponsored by Similac maker Mead Johnson.
- Shalom Auslander
- Samantha Bee
- Thomas Beller
- Claire Diaz Ortiz
- Jenny Lawson
- Joel Stein
- Heather Spohr
- Ali Wentworth
- Pamela Paul (December 10, 2006). "Healthy Babies Need Irony". The New York Times.
- "About Us". Babble.com. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Jenna Wortham (January 30, 2009). "Sexy Nerve.Com Kicks Parenting Site Out of the Nest". The New York Times. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Evelyn M. Rusli (November 14, 2011). "Disney Acquires Parent Blogging Network". The New York Times. Retrieved November 14, 2011.
- "American Society of Magazine Editors". Magazine.org. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- Time Staff (August 25, 2010). "50 Best Web Sites 2010". Time.
- "Best Web Sites for Women - Blogs". Forbes. June 23, 2011.
- Similac and Babble team up to dupe breastfeeding moms (September 2010) - See more at: http://www.phdinparenting.com/blog/2010/9/3/similac-and-babble-team-up-to-dupe-breastfeeding-moms.html#sthash.BZfV5TYk.dpuf