Yahoo! Babel Fish
||It has been requested that the title of this article be changed to AltaVista Babel Fish. Please see the relevant discussion on the discussion page.|
Type of site
|Launched||December 9, 1997|
Yahoo! Babel Fish was a free web-based multilingual translation application. In May 2012 it was replaced by Bing Translator, to which queries were redirected. Although Yahoo! has transitioned its Babel Fish translation services to Bing Translator, it did not sell its translation application to Microsoft outright. As the oldest free online language translator, the service translated text or web pages between 38 languages, including English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
The internet service derived its name from the Babel fish, a fictional species in Douglas Adams's book and radio series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that could instantly translate languages. In turn, the name of the fictional creature refers to the biblical account of the confusion of languages that arose in the city of Babel.
On December 9, 1997, Digital Equipment Corporation and SYSTRAN S.A. launched AltaVista Translation Service at babelfish.altavista.com, which was developed by a team of researchers at Digital Equipment. In February 2003, AltaVista was bought by Overture Services, Inc. In July 2003, Overture itself was taken over by Yahoo!.
The web address for Babel Fish remained babelfish.altavista.com until May 9, 2008, when the address changed to babelfish.yahoo.com.
As of May 30, 2012, the web address changed yet again, this time redirecting babelfish.yahoo.com to www.microsofttranslator.com when Microsoft's Bing Translator replaced Yahoo Babel Fish.
As of June 2013, babelfish.yahoo.com no longer refers to the Microsoft Bing Translator. Instead, it refers directly back to the main Yahoo.com page.
- Asia Online
- Bing Translator
- Comparison of machine translation applications
- Google Translate
- List of races and species in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- List of Yahoo!-owned sites and services
- "Welcome Yahoo! Babel Fish users!". Bing Translator blog. 2012-05-31. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Welcoming Yahoo! Babel Fish users!". Bing Translator blog. 2012-05-30. Retrieved 2012-05-31.
- "Yahoo's Babel Fish replaced with Bing Translator". Neowin.net, June 3, 2012, Jon Callaham.
- "Yahoo Launches Babel Fish". Techshout.com, April 2006.
- "Real-Time Machine Translation on the Internet". Infotektur.com. May 1998. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- Edge, Business (2003-05-15). "BabelFish on the move - Business Edge News Magazine Archives". Businessedge.ca. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- Hansell, Saul (February 19, 2003), "Overture Services to Buy AltaVista for $140 Million", The New York Times
- "Yahoo to acquire Overture". July 13, 2003.
- "AltaVista history". Websearchworkshop.co.uk. 1995-12-15. Retrieved 2012-09-20.
- "Welcoming Yahoo! Babel Fish users!". Microsoft Translator (and Bing Translator) Official Team Blog. Retrieved 2012-06-22.
- "BabelFish continues to grow international presence". March 7, 2003. Retrieved 2012-07-18.
- "Public Whois of BabelFish". Verisign Registry. Retrieved 2012-07-20.