Babes on Broadway
|Babes on Broadway|
Theatrical Film Poster
|Directed by||Busby Berkeley
Vincente Minnelli (uncredited)
|Produced by||Arthur Freed|
|Written by||Fred F. Finklehoffe|
Burton Lane (music)
Roger Edens (music)
E.Y. Harburg (lyrics)
Ralph Freed (lyrics)
et al. (all uncredited)
|Edited by||Fredrick Y. Smith|
|Box office||$3.8 million|
Babes on Broadway is a 1941 American musical film starring Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland and directed by Busby Berkeley, with Vincente Minnelli directing Garland's big solo numbers. The film, which features Fay Bainter and Virginia Weidler, was the third in the "Backyard Musical" series about kids who put on their own show, following Babes in Arms (1939) and Strike Up the Band (1940). Songs in the film include "Babes on Broadway" by Burton Lane (music) and E.Y. "Yip" Harburg (lyrics), and "How About You?" by Lane with lyrics by Ralph Freed, the brother of producer Arthur Freed. The movie ends with a minstrel show performed by the main cast in blackface.
- Mickey Rooney as Tommy Williams
- Judy Garland as Penny Morris
- Fay Bainter as Miss "Jonesy" Jones
- Virginia Weidler as Barbara Josephine "Jo" Conway
- Ray McDonald as Ray Lambert
- Richard Quine as Morton "Hammy" Hammond
- Donald Meek as Mr. Stone
- Alexander Woollcott as himself
- Luis Alberni as Nick
- James Gleason as Thornton Reed
- Emma Dunn as Mrs. Williams
- Anne Rooney as Jenny
- Ava Gardner as Pitt-Astor Girl
- Will Lee appears uncredited as Shorty the waiter.
- Donna Reed appears uncredited as a secretary.
- Margaret O'Brien appears uncredited as an ambitious little girl at an audition who melodramatically pleads: "Don't send my brother to the chair! Don't let him burn!"
This was the third film in the "Backyard Musical" series, which included Babes in Arms (1939), Strike Up the Band (1940) and Girl Crazy (1943). Good News (1947) and Summer Stock (1950) were also originally planned to become part of the series. Judy Garland starred in the latter with Gene Kelly.
- "Babes on Broadway" (Main Title) (MGM Studio Chorus)
- "Anything Can Happen in New York" (Mickey Rooney, Ray McDonald, and Richard Quine)
- "How About You?" (Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney)
- "Hoe Down" (Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Six Hits and a Miss, The Five Musical Maids, and MGM Studio Chorus)
- "Chin Up! Cheerio! Carry On!" (Judy Garland, St. Luke's Episcopal Church Choristers, and MGM Studio Chorus)
- Ghost Theater Sequence:
- "Cyrano de Bergerac" (Mickey Rooney as Richard Mansfield)
- "Mary's a Grand Old Name" (Judy Garland as Fay Templeton)
- "She's Ma Daisy" (Mickey Rooney as Harry Lauder)
- "I've Got Rings On My Fingers" (Judy Garland as Blanche Ring)
- "La Marseillaise" (Judy Garland as Sarah Bernhardt)
- "The Yankee Doodle Boy" (Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland)
- "Bombshell from Brazil" (Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Richard Quine, Ray McDonald, Virginia Weidler, Anne Rooney, Robert Bradford, and MGM Studio Chorus)
- "Mama Yo Quiero" (Mickey Rooney)
- Minstrel Show Sequence:
- "Blackout Over Broadway" (Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Ray McDonald, Virginia Weidler, Richard Quine, Anne Rooney and MGM Studio Chorus)
- "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" (Ray McDonald)
- "Franklin D. Roosevelt Jones" (Judy Garland and MGM Studio Chorus)
- "Old Folks at Home" (Eddie Peabody on banjo, dubbing for Mickey Rooney)
- "Alabamy Bound" (Eddie Peabody on banjo, dubbing for Mickey Rooney)
- "Waiting for the Robert E. Lee" (Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Virginia Weidler, Anne Rooney, Richard Quine, and MGM Studio Chorus)
- "Babes on Broadway" (Finale) (Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Virginia Weidler, Ray McDonald, Richard Quine, and MGM Studio Chorus)
Babes on Broadway was released on DVD for the first time as part of a 5-disc DVD set The Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection on September 25, 2007. The set contains Babes on Broadway, Babes in Arms, Girl Crazy, and Strike Up the Band, as well as a fifth disc containing bonus features on Rooney and Garland.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- Higham, Charles; Greenberg, Joel (1968). Hollywood in the Forties. London: A. Zwemmer Limited. p. 172. ISBN 0-302-00477-7.
- "101 Pix Gross in Millions", Variety 6 Jan 1943, p. 58
- Amazon.com: The Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection (Babes in Arms / Babes on Broadway / Girl Crazy / Strike Up the Band): Movies & TV: Mickey Rooney,Judy Garland
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Babes on Broadway.|