Sign Vitajte v Babinci (Welcome to The Place of Girls, Women)
|Elevation||423 m (1,388 ft)|
|Area||4.913094 km2 (1.90 sq mi)|
|Density||14/km2 (36/sq mi)|
|Postal code||980 26|
Location of Babinec in Slovakia
Location of Babinec in the Banská Bystrica Region
Babinec is a village and municipality in the Rimavská Sobota District of the Banská Bystrica Region of Slovakia. Locals are now engaged in agriculture and fruit growing. In the village is classical evangelical church from 18th century.
A Bronze Age treasure has been excavated in the village. The current village arose in the 13th century from an older settlement. In historical records the village was first mentioned in 1407 as Babalawka. It belonged to the noble families Derencsényi and Széchy. In the 17th century it passed to the Muráň town. Inhabitants had been engaged in agriculture and fruit growing, in winter in basketry and in production of tools for agriculture and weaving.
The village belongs to the places with quaint names in Slovakia. Babinec means in Slovak "A place of girls, women". Every year mayor organises a whole country meeting with a people with surname Babinec. Even today in the village live more women, than men.
The records for genealogical research are available at the state archive "Statny Archiv in Banska Bystrica, Slovakia"
- Roman Catholic church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1769-1851
- Lutheran church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1770-1866 (parish: B), 1867-1896 (parish: C)
- Census records 1869 of Babinec are not available at the state archive.
- "Statistical Office of the slovak Republic" (PDF). Výsledky SODB 2011. Štatistický úrad SR. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-10-12. Retrieved 9.8.2012. Check date values in:
- Surnames of living people in Babinec
|This article about a location in the Rimavská Sobota District of Slovakia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|