April 1977 (age 40)
|Education||University of Wales|
|Occupation||Journalist, television presenter|
|Notable credit(s)||BBC Radio Wales
Thames Valley Television
Channel 4 FM
BBC Radio Berkshire
Spotlight Channel Islands
BBC World News
|Website||Babita Sharma on Twitter|
Babita Sharma (born April 1977) is a British television newsreader on BBC News (TV channel) and BBC World News, presenting the Newsday strand each Monday to Wednesday from London with Rico Hizon in Singapore.
Sharma is of Indian descent born in 1977 and grew up in Reading, Berkshire. She attended the University of Wales and graduated with a degree in Journalism, Film and Broadcasting. After completing her education, Sharma began working with BBC Radio Wales and Thames Valley Television. She moved to Dubai, working on radio for Channel 4 FM and for Ajman TV where she presented a weekly music programme. She returned to the UK in 2003 and began her BBC career at BBC Radio Berkshire as a travel presenter and producer. She then moved to the newsroom in Southampton, reporting and producing for BBC South Today. In 2007 she moved on to BBC Spotlight Channel Islands working as a video journalist and regular presenter of the evening bulletin.
Sharma transferred to the BBC News Channel in 2008, initially as presenter of the Your Money programme. In early 2009, she assumed the main business role and then moved to the BBC News Channel and BBC World News in her current full-time presenting role. For the BBC World News programme Newsday, which began airing from its new studios on 31 July 2015, Sharma has served as live anchor from the main Broadcasting Centre in London, while Rico Hizon was assigned the main broadcasting role from Singapore. The "World Travel Market global trends report 2013", which was prepared for the World Travel Market and the Euromonitor International was the subject of a panel debate in which Sharma participated. She observed: "The global economy in 2013 has stabilized compared to 2012 with a 3.1% (gross-domestic-product) growth expected for the year. The International Monetary Fund predicts a further 3.8% increase during 2014".
Sharma also hosts various ceremonies, such as the Angel Film Awards at the Monaco International Film Festival from 2011 to 2013 and the 2012 Wings of Hope Achievement Award ceremony. She also moderates panel discussions and speaks at conferences, such as the World Travel Market.
- "BBC News – Newsday". bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Durai, Jennani (4 February 2014). "Travel Black Book: Cross the Channel to Jersey". The Straits Times. Retrieved 8 October 2015 – via Travel Asia.
- "Newsday's Babita Sharma". DSTV. 6 August 2015. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "BBC World News Presenter to Facilitate Panel Discussions at Wave and Tidal 2014". Renewable UK. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Babita Sharma – Biography and Images". TV Newsroom. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Babita Sharma". Cable Congress. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "BBC preparing new Singapore studio". NewscastStudio. 31 July 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "6 trends shaping global travel". Hotel News Now. 5 November 2013. Retrieved 2015. Check date values in:
- "Angel Film Awards 2014". Angel Film Awards. 7 December 2014. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- "Wings of Hope Achievement Award Ceremony 2012". WOHAA. 19 April 2012. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Mayock, Patrick (5 November 2013). "6 Trends Shaping Global Travel". Hotel News Now. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
- Nand, Lisa Francesca (9 November 2012). "Report Highlights Key Hotel Trends by Region". Hotel News Now. Retrieved 8 October 2015.
|This biographical article related to BBC Television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to television journalism in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|