Babu Banarasi Das University, Uttar Pradesh
|Motto||We believe in Shaping Generations|
|Established||12th October, 2010|
|Vice-Chancellor||Arun Kumar Mittal|
|Campus||Suburban, 98 Acres|
Babu Banarasi Das University, Uttar Pradesh is a state private university having its Main Campus in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India established by Akhilesh Das in 2010 and named after his father and former Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Banarasi Das. The University was incepted by an Act (No. 25 of 2010) of State Legislature of Uttar Pradesh as a State Private University and UGC vide its letter no 8-30/2010(CPP-I/PU) dated 17 February 2011 empowered it to award degrees under section 22 of the UGC act 1956.
- 1 History
- 2 Future Plans
- 3 Schools at Lucknow main campus
- 3.1 School of Architecture
- 3.2 School of Applied Sciences
- 3.3 School of Computer Applications
- 3.4 School of Dental Sciences
- 3.5 School of Education
- 3.6 School of Engineering
- 3.7 School of Hotel Management
- 3.8 School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- 3.9 School of Legal Studies
- 3.10 School of Management
- 3.11 School of Pharmacy
- 4 Foreign language programmes
- 5 Student life
- 6 Facilities
- 7 Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta Stadium
- 8 Temple
- 9 Notable alumni
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The stepping stone of Babu Banarasi Das University was laid in 1998 with the formation of Babu Banarasi Das National Institute of Technology and Management, approved by All India Council for Technical Education and affiliated to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University. Over the next two years, formation of Northern India Engineering College, affiliated to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University, and Uttar Pradesh Dental College & Research Center, affiliated to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University took place. In 2000, Babu Banarasi Das National Institute of Technology & Management and Northern India Engineering College transferred their affiliation to Uttar Pradesh Technical University, now known as Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University. Uttar Pradesh Dental College & Research Center continued to be affiliated to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University. In 2007, establishment of Babu Banarasi Das Educational Society Group of Institutions, Faculty of Engineering, affiliated to Uttar Pradesh Technical University took place. And then on 12 October 2010, formation of Babu Banarasi Das University as an autonomous body took place according to the Act (No. 25 of 2010) of State Legislature of Uttar Pradesh as a State Private University and UGC vide its letter no 8-30/2010(CPP-I/PU). After this, the university introduced many courses including Architecture and Engineering under its curriculum. Uttar Pradesh Dental College & Research Center, surrendered its affiliation to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar University and was re-christened as Babu Banarasi Das College of Dental Sciences as a School under Babu Banarasi Das University.
Babu Banarasi Das National Institute of Technology, Northern India Engineering College now known as Babu Banarasi Das Northern India Institute of Technology and Babu Banarasi Das Educational Society Group of Institutions, Faculty of Engineering now known as Babu Banarasi Das Engineering College retained their affiliation to Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University.
The University plans to launch its off-campus center in Greater Noida consisting of a Medical College and several other Schools.
Schools at Lucknow main campus
School of Architecture
- Architecture (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Planning (undergraduate and postgraduate)
- Landscape Architecture (postgraduate)
School of Applied Sciences
- Actuarial Science (undergraduate)
- Mathematics (doctoral)
- Physics (doctoral)
- Chemistry (doctoral)
- Environmental Science (doctoral)
School of Computer Applications
- Computer Applications (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
School of Dental Sciences
- Dental Sciences (undergraduate and doctoral)
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics (postgraduate)
- Prosthodontics, Crown & Bridge (postgraduate)
- Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry (postgraduate)
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (postgraduate)
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics (postgraduate)
- Periodontology (postgraduate)
- Public Health Dentistry (postgraduate)
- Oral Pathology & Microbiology (postgraduate)
- Oral Medicine & Radiology (postgraduate)
- Biochemistry (doctoral)
School of Education
- Education (undergraduate and doctoral)
- Physical Education (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
School of Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
- Electronics & Communication Engineering (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
- Mechanical Engineering (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
- Civil Engineering (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
- Electrical Engineering (undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral)
- Aerospace Engineering (undergraduate)
School of Hotel Management
School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- Performing Arts (undergraduate)
- Journalism & Mass Communications (undergraduate and PG Diploma)
- Sociology (doctoral)
- Psychology (doctoral)
- English (doctoral)
School of Legal Studies
- B.B.A. L.L.B. (Integrated undergraduate)
- B.A. L.L.B. (Integrated undergraduate)
- LLM (postgraduate)
School of Management
- Commerce (undergraduate)
- Business Administration (undergraduate and postgraduate)(also Integrated)
- Human Resource Management (doctoral)
- Finance Management (doctoral)
- Marketing Management (doctoral)
School of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy (undergraduate)
- Pharmaceutics (postgraduate and doctoral)
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry (postgraduate and doctoral)
- Pharmacognosy (postgraduate and doctoral)
- Pharmacology (postgraduate and doctoral)
Foreign language programmes
Aaina and Mechfire are the two core student clubs of the university. They arrange and host various events for the recreation, fun and education of students.
Utkarsh is the annual fest of Babu Banarasi Das University. The festival includes music, drama, literary games and quizzing. In it, various sports and technical competitions are also held and students from various colleges take part. The fest is noted for its unique themes every year.
Utkarsh logo competition
The Annual fest, Utkarsh, is noted for its unique themes every year. So there is a competition held for choosing a logo based on that theme. The most recent fest was held in 2016. The theme was Emojis and the winner was Tabish Raza, a student of the Architecture Department.
Various Schools of the University organize Educational Trips for their students with the School of Architecture being the most prolific one as they have a Compulsory Educational Trip per year in their curriculum as per the guidelines of their governing body, Council of Architecture.
The students have a campus newspaper called 'The BBD Times'.
The University has its own radio station with the aim to educate, sensitize and share knowledge with students and community. The radio station has its own broadcasting, production and recording facilities as well as transmission.
Other college competitions
The University allows its students to take part in various competitions such as drama and sports organised by other colleges. The students taking part are excused from Academic work during that time.
School of Architecture is a member college of National Association of Students of Architecture. The association is a platform to provide the students of Architecture for interaction with other students from varied cultural backgrounds to learn and share knowledge. The Architecture students of the University regularly takes part in The Annual NASA Convention.
The campus has a Central Library located in the Babu Banarasi Das National Institute of Technology & Management Building. All the Schools of the University have their own libraries as well. Collectively, there is more than 2 lakh books, periodicals and journals available in the campus libraries.
Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta Stadium in the campus is extensively used for Cricket, Football and Athletics. The Stadium premises also house an air-conditioned Gymnasium, with modern exercise equipments. For other outdoor games, the campus has a number of courts for Volleyball, Basketball, Lawn Tennis & Badminton. The in-campus hostel students are provided with indoor games facilities like, Table Tennis, Carrom and Chess.
The university campus has an air-conditioned auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000. It has proper acoustics, a cinemascope projector and a cinemascope screen. The auditorium is regularly used for organizing cultural, technical and academic events and screening of entertainment and educational movies.
The Campus has a medical OPD for students. The University has its own Ambulance service and has tie-ups with local hospitals & nursing homes for medical treatment.
Students' mall, cafeteria and canteen
The Student's Mall is a double storied, sloped roof building, housing Food Court, Stationary & Book Shop, Salon, Dispensary, Outfit Shops and a Café Coffee Day shop. The Campus also has a Nescafé kiosk and a Canteen in its spread.
The University Campus has 24x7 Closed-circuit television Network security and surveillance system managed by the security personnel equipped with wireless radio communication system. There is also a police out-post adjoining the University Campus.
The University has its transportation service with a fleet of more than twenty buses. This service is available for the students and faculty members.
Hostel facility is available for students in the Campus. The Hostel accommodation is on twin / triple sharing basis. Each Hostel has a Recreation Room with Television and Indoor Games facility.
- New Boys Hostel (Blocks A, B and C)
- Justice D.P. Gupta Boys Hostel
- BBD Girls Hostel
- Vidyawati Girls Hostel
- Smt. Sheela Devi Girls Hostel
- Nirmala Devi Girls Hostel
Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta Stadium
Dr. Akhilesh Das Gupta Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium situated in the campus of Babu Banarasi Das University. The stadium has a capacity to accommodate more than 20,000 spectators. The stadium is approved by BCCI to hold first-class level matches and is regularly used for Ranji Trophy matches every year. During 2016 Indian Premier League, Mumbai Indians used this stadium to hold practice sessions in preparation for their match against Gujarat Lions at Green Park Stadium.
A Temple of Lord Ganesha named Siddhivinayak Ganesh Mandir made of white marble and sandstone is situated at the entrance of the Campus. The basement of the temple is a hall for Yoga & Meditation practices.
- Monis Ahmad Khan: Writer, Actor and Motivational Speaker. Won Mr. Antaragni at IIT Kanpur in 2013, Mr. Thomso at IIT Roorkee in 2015 and Mr. Rendezvous at IIT Delhi in 2016.
- Official website of Babu Banarasi Das University, Lucknow
- Official website of Babu Banarasi Das Group of Educational Institutions
- Official website of BBDNITM, Lucknow
- Official website of BBDNIIT, Lucknow
- Official website of BBDEC, Lucknow