Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me
|"Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me"|
|Single by Mac Davis|
|from the album Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me|
|B-side||"Your Side of the Bed"|
|Released||July 1972 (US)|
|Recorded||March 1, 1972|
|Genre||Rock, soft rock, country|
|Mac Davis singles chronology|
"Baby Don't Get Hooked on Me" is a hit song by country and pop singer-songwriter Mac Davis. From his breakthrough album of the same name, the song reached number one on both the Billboard Hot 100 and Easy Listening charts in September 1972, spending three weeks atop each chart. Billboard ranked it as the No. 8 song of 1972. He wrote the song when the record company demanded he write a tune with a "hook".
The song was also a modest country hit concurrent with its pop success, reaching number 26 shortly after the peak of its pop success. The "Nashville Edition" provided backing vocals. The song was featured on an episode of The Muppet Show that Mac Davis was hosting.
- Blaine Larsen, on his 2006 album Rockin' You Tonight
- Liza Minnelli, on her 1973 album The Singer
- Rascal Flatts, used for their 2009 compilation The Vault
- Sharp, Ken (2009-01-02). "MAC DAVIS: Hook, Line and Sinker « American Songwriter". Americansongwriter.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "RPM Top Singles for October 14, 1972". RPM. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "RPM Adult Contemporary for October 7, 1972". RPM. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "RPM Country Tracks for October 21, 1972". RPM. Retrieved 11 October 2010.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Baby, Don't Get Hooked on Me". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". Flavourofnz.co.nz. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- UK Official Charts, 11 April 1972
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 72.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book Of Top 40 Country Hits: 1944-2006, Second edition. Record Research. p. 99.