|University||University of Kansas|
|Related mascot(s)||Big Jay, Centennial Jay|
Baby Jay is one of the mascots of the University of Kansas's sports teams. Baby and best friend Big Jay are Jayhawks. Baby Jay was created by student Amy Sue Hurst and "hatched" at half-time of KU's Homecoming victory in football over Kansas State University on October 9, 1971, and has served as a mascot ever since.
In 1970 Amy Hurst saw a Jayhawk bumper sticker depicting Big Jay and hatchlings which inspired her to create a new mascot. After talking to a co-worker who was a Big Jay and getting approval from the KU Alumni Association she created Baby Jay.
The official debut of Baby Jay was October 9, 1971 during the half-time of KU's homecoming game against in-state rivals Kansas State University. In front of 55,000 fans Big Jay hauled a large egg to the 50-yard line of Memorial Stadium. A few moments later Baby Jay "hatched" from the artificial egg and has served as an ambassador of KU at events across the country ever since.
The original costume weighed 30 pounds, consisted of chicken wire, fiberglass, and felt. The total cost was $53. In 2003, Amy Hurst, the original Baby Jay, started a fund to help cover the cost of the now $5,000 costume that is replaced every two years.
All About Baby
Address: 3rd Floor of Allen Fieldhouse aka "The Nest" Height: Half the size of Big Jay! Weight: Quite a bit (I haven't lost all my Baby fat) Jersey Number: #1/2 Favorite Movie: Lion King (Zazu makes me giggle but Scar scares me!) Favorite Activities: Playing with all my friends & Big Jay, Blowing bubbles, Drawing with chalk (Rock Chalk!) Favorite Food: Veggies (keep me strong & my feathers fluffy!) Favorite Band: University of Kansas Marching Band Favorite Song: I'm a Jayhawk Favorite Books: "The Three Little Jayhawks" & "Max & the Jayhawks"
The selection process to become Baby Jay is generally during the spring semester. Though they cannot legally only pick females, traditionally, Baby Jay is a female. The student applicant must create an original skit when trying out to be the mascot. The student must also meet several physical conditions. To be able to fit into the Baby Jay costume the student must be between 4' 11" and 5' 1" tall. The auditioning process may also include 20 minutes of running, performing an entrance and exit routine, emotion and reaction exercises.
To apply you must turn in a packet of information that you must get from either the mascot coach or spirit squad director. This includes a video, a physical and student information.
The primary duty of Baby Jay is to be an ambassador of KU, roaming the sidelines at football and basketball games giving hugs to youngsters. Baby Jay, being smaller than Big Jay, is often involved in entertaining children. Baby Jay is also present at most major university events such as athletic competitions, Tradition Night, Band Spectacular, and graduation.
Baby Jay is also seen in the community attending weddings, opening the Godzilla film festival, or even lobbying legislators to fund higher education. In return for these services Baby Jay receives a $300 scholarship per semester.
Requesting an Appearance
Big Jay and Baby Jay can be requested for appearances. They have made appearances at birthday parties, weddings, store openings and many more. There are guidelines that must be met that are stated on the University of Kansas's website found here with the request form: http://www.kuathletics.com/ot/kan-mascot-form-08.html
- "Take the Jayhawk Walk". Archived from the original (English) on September 2, 2006. Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Original Baby Jay Now Roosting in Kansas Union" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Fund Helps Support Baby Jay Costume" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Baby Jays to Reunite" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "KU Heritage & Traditions" (English). Archived from the original on 22 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "KU Baby Jay Mascot Creators Establish Fund" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Baby Jay FAQs" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "The Word on the Bird" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Traditions Night Stirs Spirit For New Jayhawk Students" (English). Archived from the original on 28 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "BAND SPECTACULAR!" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Ending Their KU Years With Plenty of Cheers" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Baby Jay to Inflate Godzilla" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- "Hemenway Blasts House Budget Plans" (English). Retrieved 2007-03-04.
- Downs, Deeann (1997). The Big Blue Eggventure: The Hatching of the Baby Jay. Kr Book Company. ISBN 0-9658392-0-6.