|Song by Syd Barrett|
|from the album Barrett|
|Released||14 November 1970|
|Recorded||26 February 1970|
"Baby Lemonade" is the opening track to Syd Barrett's second studio album, Barrett. "Baby Lemonade", and another song, "Gigolo Aunt", were recorded by Barrett playing and singing over a prerecorded backing track. The solo was performed by Barrett, not David Gilmour as is often noted. The intro was actually Barrett simply warming-up on guitar, that Gilmour had managed to record and placed it at the start of the album, making it seem like an intro to the song. It was included on the multi-artist Harvest compilation, A Breath of Fresh Air – A Harvest Records Anthology 1969–1974 in 2007.
The song was performed along with 4 other songs (3 songs that would later be recorded for Barrett, and one that was originally from The Madcap Laughs) and recorded for BBC Radio on 24 February 1970. These five tracks were later released on The Peel Session, and even later with 3 added songs (one being another version of "Baby Lemonade") from another BBC Radio show, as The Radio One Sessions.
- Syd Barrett – vocals, acoustic and electric guitars
- David Gilmour – 12-string guitar, bass guitar, producer
- Richard Wright – Hammond organ, piano, producer
- Jerry Shirley – drums
A "baby" is archaic Public House slang for a half-size bottle of mixer. "Baby Lemonade" would be understood by Victorian barmaids to mean a small bottle of lemonade.
- Barrett (booklet). Syd Barrett. Harvest, EMI. 2010. p. 1.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Manning, Toby (2006). "Set the Controls". The Rough Guide to Pink Floyd (1st ed.). London: Rough Guides. p. 72. ISBN 1-84353-575-0.
- Palacios, Julian (2010). "Within the Dark Globe". Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd: Dark Globe (Rev. ed.). London: Plexus. p. 365. ISBN 0859654311.
- "A Breath of Fresh Air: A Harvest Records Anthology, 1969-1974 - Various Artists : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 13 September 2012.
- Unterberger, Richie. "Peel Sessions - Syd Barrett : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Chapman, Rob (2010). "We Awful, Awful Crawl". Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head (Paperback ed.). London: Faber. pp. 268–269. ISBN 978-0-571-23855-2.
- "Music - Review of Syd Barrett - The Radio One Sessions". BBC. 20 November 2002. Retrieved 21 September 2012.[permanent dead link]
- Redding Ware, J. (1909). "A Dictionary of Victorian Slang". p. 13. Retrieved 6 July 2017.