Baby Let's Play House
|"Baby Let's Play House"|
|Song by Elvis Presley|
|A-side||"I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone"|
|Released||April 25, 1955|
|Elvis Presley singles chronology|
Elvis Presley version
Elvis' version differs greatly from the original: Elvis started the song with the chorus, where Gunter began with the first verse, and he replaced Gunter's line "You may get religion" with the words "You may have a Pink Cadillac", referring to his custom-painted '55 Cadillac auto that had also been serving as the band's transportation at the time.
Baby Let's Play House was on the fourth issue of a Presley record by Sun, and became the first song recorded by Elvis to appear on a national chart when it made #5 on the Billboard Country Singles chart in July 1955. Elvis's version also starts out with Elvis introducing the lyric-stutter to the music pundits. These lyrics and melodies are not found in the original Arthur Gunter version.
- Scotty Moore - electric lead guitar
- Bill Black - double bass
Notable cover versions
- Run for Your Life, a song by The Beatles that borrows the lyrics "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man".
- "Elvis Presley Songs". How Stuff Works. Retrieved December 28, 2014.
- Colin Larkin (2006). The Encyclopedia of Popular Music: Grenfell, Joyce - Koller, Hans. MUZE. ISBN 978-0-19-531373-4.
Colin Larkin (1998). The Virgin Encyclopedia of the Blues. Virgin. ISBN 978-0-7535-0226-6.
- Colin Larkin (September 1998). The Virgin encyclopedia of fifties music. Virgin.
- Martin Hawkins (November 2006). A shot in the dark: making records in Nashville, 1945-1955. Vanderbilt University Press & Country Music Foundation Press.
- "Facts about Elvis - Elvis Presley's life - Elvis news: New Elvis Presley Remix "Baby Let's Play House" Available for Download on iTunes TODAY! 6/3/2008" Archived 2010-02-02 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved July 21, 2008
- Presley releases Archived 2012-07-22 at archive.today
- The Blue Moon Boys - The Story of Elvis Presley's Band. Ken Burke and Dan Griffin. 2006. Chicago Review Press. page 47. ISBN 1-55652-614-8
- "Elvis Presley – Baby Let's Play House". Top Digital Download.
- "Elvis Presley – Baby Let's Play House" Canciones Top 50.
- "Elvis Presley – Baby Let's Play House". Singles Top 100.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "The Official Charts Company - Baby Let's Play House". The Official Charts Company. 4 April 2014.
- Wenner, Jann (1972). Lennon Remembers. Harmondsworth, England: Penguin. p. 128.
- Everett, Walter (1999). The Beatles as Musicians: Revolver Through the Anthology. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. p. 312. ISBN 978-0-19-512941-0.
- Baby Let's Play House at Discogs (list of releases) Arthur Gunter version
- Baby Let's Play House at Discogs (list of releases) Elvis Presley version