||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location of Bacău County in Romania
|Capital city (Reședință de județ)||Bacău|
|• Type||County Board|
|• President of the County Board||Sorin Braşoveanu (PSD)|
|• Prefect2||Ioan Ghica|
|• Total||6,621 km2 (2,556 sq mi)|
|Area rank||14th in Romania|
|Population (2011 census)|
|• Rank||9th in Romania|
|• Density||93/km2 (240/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Area code(s)||+40 x344|
|GDP||US$ 5.49 billion (2008)|
|GDP/capita||US$ 7,776 (2008)|
|1The development regions of Romania have no administrative role and were formed in order to manage funds from the European Union.
2As of 2007, the Prefect is not a politician, but a public functionary. He (or she) is not allowed to be a member of a political party, and is banned from engaging in any political activity in the first six months after his resignation (or exclusion) from the public functionary corps.
3w, x, y, and z are digits that indicate the city, the street, part of the street, or even the building of the address
4x is a digit indicating the operator: 2 for the former national operator, Romtelecom, and 3 for the other ground telephone networks
5used on both the plates of the vehicles that operate only in the county limits (like utility vehicles, ATVs, etc.), and the ones used outside the county
In October 20, 2011, it had a population of 616,168 and the population density was 93/km².
The ethnic breakdown was as follows:
This county has a total area of 6,621 km².
The West side of the county are mountains from the Eastern Carpathian group. Here, along the valleys of the Oituz River and Trotuș River there are two important links between Moldavia and Transylvania. To the East side, the heights decrease and the lowest point can be found on the Siret River valley which crosses the county from North to South in the middle. On the East side there is the Moldavian Plateau crossed by many small rivers.
- Vaslui County in the East.
- Harghita County and Covasna County in the West.
- Neamț County in the North.
- Vrancea County in the South.
The county of Bacău was one of the most industrialized regions in the communist period and it remained Moldavia's most important industrial center ever since. There are two large oil refineries at Onești and Dărmănești. Following the collapse of the communist regime, Bacău continued to be the region's most important GDP supplier, but the county became more famous for the controversial figures involved in local economy than for its performance.
The predominant industries in the county are:
- The chemical and oil industry.
- Food industry.
- Construction materials industry.
- Wood and paper industry.
- Textile industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
- Aeronautics industry.
In Bacău county there are important reserves of oil and salt. Also coal is exploited.
The main tourist destinations in the county are:
- The cities of Bacău and Onești.
- The resorts:
- The Nemira Mountains.
|Party||Seats||Current County Council|
|Social Democratic Party||17|
|National Liberal Party||11|
|Alliance of Liberals and Democrats||5|
|Romanian Social Party||3|
- Gabriela Adameșteanu
- Vasile Alecsandri
- George Bacovia
- Radu Beligan
- Nadia Comăneci
- Loredana Groza
- Tristan Tzara
- Gabriela Vrânceanu Firea
Bacău County has 3 municipalities, 5 towns and 85 communes
- Dealu Morii
- Gura Văii
- Izvoru Berheciului
- Letea Veche
- Mănăstirea Cașin
- Nicolae Bălcescu
- Podu Turcului
- Ștefan cel Mare
- Târgu Trotuș
- Valea Seacă
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bacău County.|
- "Population at 20 October 2011" (in Romanian). INSSE. 5 July 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- 1987 estimate published in: Tennant, Chris (transl.) (1994) The Hungarian minority’s situation in Ceauşescu's Romania. Boulder: Social Science Monographs. p. 33.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populaţia la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992, 2002 şi 2011"
- "Mandate de CJ pe judete si competitori" (in Romanian). Biroul Electoral Central. 10 June 2016. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- Bacău County Council decision
- appendix 1 of the previous decision (the image)
- appendix 2 of the previous decision (the descriprion and symbolism)