Bachelor of Architecture
The Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) is a bachelor's degree designed to satisfy the academic
United Arab Emirates
The American University of Sharjah is the first university outside of North America to offer a B.Arch. that is officially accredited by the prestigious US-based National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB). kp is boss.
Architectural education in Australia varies depending on the university offering the course. All Australian architecture schools and programs have recently moved to some variation on the 3 + 2 Bologna model, with a three-year undergraduate degree, followed by a two-year course-work based Master of Architecture professional degree. Some universities also require 6–12 months of practice work experience between the two degrees. Registration as an architect is via state-based boards and requires a minimum of two years practice experience under the supervision of a registered architect. In addition there are double degrees offered by many universities, such as those combining architecture with construction or landscape architecture. Some universities also offer masters programs in architecture via coursework or research. Many architecture faculties offer related programs in landscape architecture, urban planning, urban design, property and construction. Entry to Australian architecture programs is highly competitive and the proportion of students at some architecture schools from outside Australia is very high, up to 40%.
Universities in Australia offering professionally accredited architecture programs:
Institutions in Australia offering other programs in architecture:
- Charles Darwin University 3-year Bachelor of Design, automatic entry into the Deakin University M.Arch. program.
- Oceania Polytechnic Institute of Technology 6-year Bachelor of Architecture, partially accredited by the Australian Institute of Architects .
- Griffith University 3-year Bachelor of Environmental Design (Architectural Studies) begins February 2010. M.Arch. to begin in 2013.
In France, architectural education is offered in various independent schools of architecture, both private and public. The first step of architectural education is the Diploma of Studies in Architecture, a three-year degree equivalent to a Bachelor of Architecture. This degree does not allow registration as an architect, awardees must pursue a Master of Architecture in order to obtain vocational qualification.
Architectural education differs slightly in the United Kingdom. A five-year course used to exist in a similar fashion to the United States, but the 1960s saw the introduction of the sandwich course and a split of the B.Arch. into a 3-year BA (Hons.) degree (or in some cases BSc) followed by a year working in practice, after which a 2-year MA, PG-DipArch, M.Arch. or B.Arch. is completed. A further year of work completes the student's education upon the passing of Part III final examinations (See below). Registration as an architect is then permissible by the Architects Registration Board. Many UK universities offer postgraduate programs by coursework and research in architecture and related fields such as landscape architecture, planning, and urban design.
The RIBA three-part examinations
In effect, for most students to become an architect in the United Kingdom they must pass or be exempted from parts I,II and III of the RIBA's examinations. Completion of the three-year BA or BSc gives an exemption from Part I. Completion of the two-year DipArch, M.Arch. or B.Arch. gives exemption from Part II and the final two years of supervised practical training, with supplemental examinations and assignments, makes up the requirements for Part III.
An alternative route to qualification exists by sitting the exams directly - currently this administered by Oxford Brookes University on behalf of the RIBA.
Studying architecture in the UK
International schools validated by the RIBA
Several universities outside of the UK offer architecture courses validated by the Royal Institute of British Architects at part I and part II level. For students who want to study outside of the UK, the RIBA recognized courses offer the advantage of internationally recognized degrees, and other benefits, such as the possibility of RIBA membership.
The Bachelor of Architecture is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) as a professional degree, allowing the recipient to qualify for the Architect Registration Examination (ARE). NAAB-accredited B.Arch. programs must include at least 150 semester credit hours, or the quarter-hour equivalent, of which at least 45 semester hours, or the quarter-hour equivalent are in general studies.
There are also universities that offer a four-year degree such as a Bachelor of Science in Architectural Studies or a Bachelor of Science in Architecture (B.S.Arch) or a Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies (B.A.Arch). These are non-accredited, pre-professional degrees, and so these students must enroll in a Master of Architecture (M.Arch) program to be professionally licensed. However, enrolling in a pre-professional program often gets a student into a shorter M.Arch program. Any architecturally-related curriculum may eventually make licensure possible, depending upon the laws or regulations of the jurisdiction in which you wish to be licensed.
The course of study of the Bachelor of Architecture includes studio courses on design and aesthetic theory, as well as practical courses on structures, building mechanical systems, electrical systems, plumbing and construction. Student work is often in the form of drawings and renderings, either through computer-aided design or drafting by hand. Students also build physical models and create presentation boards for drawings and graphics.
In nearly all architecture schools in the United States, student life and work revolves around a studio class. Other classes in the architecture curriculum are designed to support the concepts emphasized in studio. One particularly rigorous aspect of studio classes is the "critique" or "review." Students "pin-up" their models and presentation drawings for instructors (and students) who offer constructive criticism.
Colleges and universities in the United States where either an NAAB accredited Bachelor of Architecture or Master of Architecture degree can be obtained are listed below. Many schools offer an M.Arch as the first professional degree, preceded by a nonprofessional B.A./B.S. in Architecture undergraduate degree.
- Middle East Technical University, language: English
- Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University, language: English
Bangladesh is a small country with great opportunity, but there are few architects than demand for high rise. So the government encourages people to study architecture. Below some of the well known private and public universities with department of architectures are listed.
- Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology
- Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet
- Khulna University, Khulna
- Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology, Chittagong
- Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology, Dhaka
- South East University, Dhaka
- BRAC University, Dhaka
- American International University Bangladesh, Dhaka
- North South University, Dhaka
- Stamford University, Dhaka
- Bangladesh University, Dhaka
- Primeasia University, Dhaka
- State University of Bangladesh, Dhaka
- Pabna University of Science & Technology, Pabna
- Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science & Technology University, Dinajpur
- University of Asia Pacific, Dhaka
Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology
In India, Bachelor of Architecture lasts for five years. The most prestigious institutions offering the course are:
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi
- Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology University, Ahmedabad
- Chandigarh College of Architecture, Chandigarh
- IIT Kharagpur, Kharagpur
- IIT Roorkee, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Howrah
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Manipal University
- NIT Calicut, Calicut
- NIT Trichy, Tiruchirappalli
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- Sir JJ College of Architecture, Mumbai
- http://www.aus.edu/media/news/show_article.php?Article=950 AUS architecture program becomes first outside North America to receive prestigious NAAB accreditation
- "UK Schools of Architecture with courses validated by the RIBA" (PDF). RIBA.
- "International schools validated by the RIBA" (PDF). RIBA.
- "RIBA Principles & Procedures for the Validation of International Courses and Examinations in Architecture" (PDF). RIBA.[permanent dead link]
- "How to get ahead in China". RIBA.
- "NAAB Accredited Programs in Architecture". National Architectural Accrediting Board. Retrieved 5 August 2014.