|Group:||Group II (ssDNA)|
Bacilladnavirus is a genus of single stranded DNA viruses. Species in this genus infect diatoms. The name is derived from the phrase: ssDNA virus infecting Bacillariophytes. Although other single-stranded DNA viruses which infect diatoms have been discovered (Chaetoceros debilis DNA virus (CdebDNAV), C. tenuissimus DNA virus (CtenDNAV), C. lorenzianus DNA virus (ClorDNAV), C. sp. strain TG07-C28 DNA virus (Csp05DNAV), C. setoensis DNA virus (CsetDNAV), and Thalassionema nitzschioides DNA virus (TnitDNAV)), the only species officially classified in this genus is Chaetoceros salsugineum DNA virus 01 (CsalDNAV01.) It was suggested that the family Bacillariodnaviridae be used to classify these viruses, but this classification has not been officially accepted.
The genome of these viruses appears to be unique. It consists of a single molecule of covalently closed circular single stranded DNA of ~6 kilobases as well as a segment of linear ssDNA of ~1 kilobase. The linear segment is complementary to a portion of the closed circle creating a partially double stranded region.
There are at least three major open reading frames: one of these has a high similarity to replicase related proteins of the other ssDNA viruses.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (November 2011)|
The virions are ~34 nanometers (nm) in diameter.
The virions accumulate in the nucleus.
Mature virions are released by lysis of the host.
- Tomaru Y, Takao Y, Suzuki H, Nagumo T, Koike K, Nagasaki K (2011) Isolation and characterization of a single-stranded DNA virus infecting Chaetoceros lorenzianus Grunow. Appl Environ Microbiol 77(15):5285-5293
- ICTV proposals 2009.002a-fF et al., Yuji Tomaru, Keizo Nagasaki. Accessed on line Nov. 20, 2015.
- ICTV Virus Taxonomy 2014, accessed on line Nov. 20, 2015.
- Introduction, "Isolation and Characterization of a Single-Stranded DNA Virus Infecting the Marine Diatom Chaetoceros sp. Strain SS628-11 Isolated from Western JAPAN", Kei Kimura, Yuji Tomaru, PLoS One, 8, #12 (Dec. 2013), e82013, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082013, PMC 3866115.
- Abstract, "Diatom Viruses", Yuji Tomaru, Keizo Nagasaki, doi:10.1007/978-94-007-1327-7_9; chapter in The Diatom World, eds. Joseph Seckbach and Patrick Kociolek, Springer, 2011, ISBN 978-94-007-1326-0.
- Nagasaki K, Tomaru Y, Takao Y, Nishida K, Shirai Y, Suzuki H, Nagumo T (2005) Previously unknown virus infects marine diatom. Appl Environ Microbiol 71(7):3528-3535
- Tomaru Y, Shirai Y, Suzuki H, Nagumo T, Nagasaki K (2008) Isolation and characterization of a new single-stranded DNA virus infecting the cosmopolitan marine diatom Chaetoceros dehilis. Aquat Microb Ecol 50(2):103–112