Back 'n Blue
|"Back 'n Blue"|
|Single by Cheap Trick|
|from the album Busted|
|Genre||Rock, Power Pop|
|Songwriter(s)||Taylor Rhodes, Robert A. Johnson, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander|
|Cheap Trick singles chronology|
"Back 'n Blue" is a song by American rock band Cheap Trick, released as the fourth single from their 1990 album Busted. The song was written by American songwriter/producer/musician Taylor Rhodes, American rock and blues guitarist Robert A. Johnson, guitarist Rick Nielsen and vocalist Robin Zander.
The song peaked at #32 on the American Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. The song was not edited and remained the same length as the full album version.
After the success of the American number one hit "The Flame" from the previous album "Lap of Luxury", the band recorded "Busted" with a similar format, with the lead single "Can't Stop Fallin' Into Love" peaking at #12 on the US charts. The album failed to be as successful as the label had hoped, and about a year after the release of "Busted", Epic Records dropped Cheap Trick from their label.
This release would prove to be the band's final release of new material under Epic Records although the 1991 compilation "The Greatest Hits" featured a previously unreleased song from the "Lap of Luxury" sessions, a cover of The Beatles track "Magical Mystery Tour" which would be released as the final promotional single under Epic Records by the band.
- Promo Track
- "Back 'n Blue" - 4:42
Popdose.com spoke of the song in a review of the album, writing "When the needle touched down into the groove of the first track on side one, Back ‘N Blue, I was greeted with some moderately cool rock guitar riffage, some well placed na-na-na’s and a tough Robin Zander vocal. The title of the song continued CT’s tradition of having fun with words (in this case, altering a cliché for their own purposes), but the song itself didn’t reflect that fun. It plodded, and probably would have been better off in the hands of Bon Jovi."
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart||32|
- Robin Zander - lead vocals, rhythm guitar
- Rick Nielsen - lead guitar, backing vocals
- Tom Petersson - bass, backing vocals
- Bun E. Carlos - drums, percussion
- Richie Zito - Producer
- Mike Shipley - Mixer
- George Marino - Masterer
- Writers of "Back 'n Blue" - Taylor Rhodes, Robert A. Johnson, Rick Nielsen, Robin Zander
- "Cheap Trick - Busted at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Cheap Trick". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Cheap Trick - Lap Of Luxury at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Cheap Trick Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Cheap Trick - Back n' Blue". YouTube. 1992-03-09. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Cheap Trick - Back N' Blue - 90". YouTube. 2009-06-07. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Flashback '90: Cheap Trick, "Busted"". Popdose. 2010-06-28. Retrieved 2012-03-13.