Back Through Time
|Back Through Time|
|Studio album by|
|Released||3 June 2011|
|Recorded||January - March 2011 at LSD Studios in Lübeck, Germany|
|Genre||Power metal, folk metal|
|Label||Napalm Scarecrow Records|
Back Through Time is the third studio album by pirate metal band Alestorm. It was released on 3 June 2011 by Napalm Records and is the first Alestorm recording to feature Gareth Murdock on bass and Peter Alcorn on drums. The album is available in jewelcase, digipack, LP, and Special Edition Boxset formats which includes two bonus cover songs. Alestorm did a Back Through Time World Tour starting in Australia and New Zealand. The album reached #42 on the German Albums Chart
|1.||"Back Through Time"||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||5:03|
|2.||"Shipwrecked"||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||3:31|
|3.||"The Sunk'n Norwegian" (Hans-Jørgen Martinus Hansen of Svartsot on Whistles)||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||4:07|
|4.||"Midget Saw" (Hans-Jørgen Martinus Hansen of Svartsot on Whistles)||Christopher Bowes & Alan Carr||Christopher Bowes & Peter Alcorn||3:18|
|5.||"Buckfast Powersmash"||Christopher Bowes & Tim Shaw||Christopher Bowes||2:33|
|6.||"Scraping the Barrel" (Hans-Jørgen Martinus Hansen of Svartsot on Whistles)||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||4:40|
|7.||"Rum"||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||3:29|
|8.||"Swashbuckled"||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||3:53|
|9.||"Rumpelkombo"||Chris Boltendahl||Christopher Bowes||0:07|
|10.||"Barrett's Privateers" (Stan Rogers cover Featuring Heri Joensen of Týr)||Stan Rogers||Stan Rogers||4:41|
|11.||"Death Throes of the Terrorsquid" (Featuring Ken Sorceron of Abigail Williams)||Christopher Bowes||Christopher Bowes||7:45|
|12.||"I Am a Cider Drinker" (The Wurzels cover – Bonus track on LTD editions)||2:58|
|13.||"You Are a Pirate" (LazyTown cover – Bonus track on LTD editions)||1:33|
- Christopher Bowes – lead vocals, keyboards
- Dani Evans – guitars, backing vocals
- Gareth Murdock – bass, backing vocals
- Peter Alcorn - drums
- Lord Jaldaboath - narration (track 1)
- Ken Sorceron - co-lead vocals (11)
- Lasse Lammert - guitar solo (6), vibraslap
- Heri Joensen - guitar solo (10)
- Chris Jones - accordion
- Maria Odvody - violin
- Tobias Hain - trumpet
- Florian Frambach - trumpet
- Derek Fobaire - trombone
- Hans-Jørgen Martinus Hansen - whistles
- Brenden Casey - backing vocals
- Gordon Krei - orchestral arrangements, programming
|Dangerdog Music Reviews|||
|Metal Review||(8.3/10) |
|Reflections of Darkness|||
- About.com (2011) - 3 Stars - "There are no surprises here, just plenty of salty buccaneer lyrics, keytar-flavored melodies, and maddeningly infectious choruses."
- Revolver (13 June 2011) - 3 Stars - "An entertaining, if repetitive, collection of power-shanties, it’s ready to please anyone with brine on the brain."
- Rock Sound (2 June 2011) - 7/10 - "With accordion embedded songs about midgets, it’s quite hard to dispute with how much fun their songs can be, and that’s where Alestorm succeed, in wanting nothing more than having a good time."
- Hardrock Haven (16 May 2011) - 7.5/10 - "Like Korpiklaani and Finntroll, Alestorm is one of those “go to” bands when you want an album to crank up, cut loose and raise a glass (or ten), and in that area Back Through Time does its job very well."
- EspyRock (5 June 2011) - 6/10 - "Alestorm’s greatest strength is also their greatest weakness – nothing here is groundbreaking by their standards, and it is all rather predictable, as far as pirate-themed metal goes."
- Dangerdog Music Reviews (30 May 2011) - 3.5 Stars - "Back Through Time sure is a lot of fun. So raise a pint of your favorite brew, Matey, and hail Alestorm. Recommended."
- Metal Review (8 June 2011) - 8.3/10 - "This is music to sing along with and drink to, and if that’s your cup of tea (or rum, as it were), then Back Through Time will leave you fully satisfied -- albeit a bit hung over the next morning."
- Reflections of Darkness (8 June 2011) - 8.5/10 - "The whole album appears to be more courageous and aims to be more diversified while on the other hand staying safely on shore. There’s a lot of songs to bawl and bark, epic hook lines and musical surprises - what else do you need?"
- Jukebox Metal (June 2011) - 2/5 - "Back Through Time sounds like a band who are cynically churning out yet another record to keep the bills paid, without any real inspiration."
- Back Through Time at Oz Productions
-  'Back Through Time' Album Details www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net
-  Official announcement of Alestorm's 3rd studio album (Facebook)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 14 May 2011. Retrieved 23 March 2011.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) ALESTORM 'BACK THROUGH TIME' Australian/ New Zealand Tour May 2011 www.soundworkstouring.com
-  Back Through Time info at Alestorm.net
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 March 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2011.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) Australian and New Zealand Tour 2011 www.voltagemedia.com.au
-  Australian Tour www.liveguide.com.au
- Alestorm - Back Through Time
- Boltendahl is credited for the lyrics, which consist of the single word in the title, after the Grave Digger vocalist referred to Alestorm pejoratively as a "Rumpelkombo" (rowdy band) in 2009.
- Zed, Natalie. "About.com Review". About.com. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Geist, Brandon. "Review: Alestorm – Back Through Time". Revolver. Archived from the original on 18 August 2011. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Clark, Peter. "Alestorm - Back Through Time". Rock Sound. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Gaines, Justin. "Alestorm : Back Through Time". Hardrock Haven. Archived from the original on 18 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- Wilson, Scott. "Album Review: Alestorm – Back Through Time". EspyRock. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Hartranft, Craig. "Alestorm: Back Through Time". Dangerdog Music Reviews. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Amitay, Rae. "Review of Alestorm - Back Through Time". Metal Review. Archived from the original on 11 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- Butzen, Björn. "CD Review: Alestorm - Back Through Time". Reflections of Darkness. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- Donovan, James. "CD Review: Alestorm - Back Through Time". Jukebox Metal.
- Music video for on YouTube