Back to Love (Estelle song)
|"Back to Love"|
|Single by Estelle|
|from the album All of Me|
|Released||4 December 2011|
|Genre||R&B, dance pop|
|Label||Atlantic Records, Homeschool|
|Writer(s)||Estelle Swaray, Wyclef Jean, Jerry Duplessis|
|Producer(s)||Jerry 'Wonda' Duplessis|
|Estelle singles chronology|
"Back to Love" was announced as the second UK single from All of Me on 25 October 2011. It was subsequently released on 4 December 2011, with a radio mix from Mikey J (producer for Kano, Mz Bratt, The Mitchell Brothers and Roll Deep). The music video for "Back to Love" features the original version of the song, which was produced by Jerry 'Wonda' Duplessis.
In an interview with Factory78, Estelle explained the meaning behind the song. She expressed, "Well you guys know, like I said, that I write from realness so when I'm singing "Back to Love", that's a real experience. You know, finding my way back to being happy despite having my heart broken. Despite everything going wrong in love, finding my way back to loving myself and just keeping it, what's the word? Non-spiteful, not mean, being an adult about it and loving yourself above everything else because that's number one, so that's what "Back to Love" is about."
In a further interview with Channel 4 programme Freshly Squeezed, she stated "Well, "Back To Love" is about finding your way back to loving yourself after you've been in a relationship that wasn't necessarily the right one for you but probably was necessary for your growth. That was one of the first songs I wrote off the album almost three years ago. It was from a place of like, somebody was bugging the hell out of my ex-boyfriend, my now ex-boyfriend and you know, she had been in a situation with him before and she couldn't really get why he wasn't, you know, why he was with me and why he wasn't with her and it was just a whole moment. And you know, cut to three years later, I break up with him and I had to remember who I was. You know, so it's all like different perspectives and it's all learning in progress for me."
The music video for the song and premiered on 21 October 2011 on her YouTube account. The video depicts Estelle and her former flame saying goodbye to their relationship. The couple are packing their belongings and looking through old photographs in preparation for moving out of the apartment they shared together. Though she relates that their relationship has changed and cannot be fixed, there are no hard feelings and she is ready to love someone else again.
In promotion of "Back to Love" and All of Me, Estelle was interviewed on Channel 4 programme Freshly Squeezed, which was broadcast on 5 December 2011. On 6 December 2011, she was interviewed and performed "Back to Love" on Lorraine and was also interviewed by The Official Charts Company.
- Digital download
- "Back to Love" (Mikey J Radio Mix) – 4:03
- "Back to Love" – 3:47
- "Back to Love" (Potential Badboy Remix) – 4:30
- "Back to Love" (Swindle Remix) – 4:38
- "Back to Love" (Mikey J Radio Mix Instrumental) – 4:01
When initially released, the download bundle contained Shine album track "Back in Love" as track two instead of "Back to Love". This was an error and was later replaced by the original version of "Back to Love".
|Japan Singles Chart||57|
|UK||4 December 2011||Digital download||Atlantic Records, Homeschool|
- "iTunes – Music – Back to Love – Single by Estelle". iTunes. Apple Inc. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Estelle: 'I'm ready to make comeback'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Estelle's 'Back To Love' Remix By Mikey J". Top 40 Charts. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Estelle – "Back To Love" (Mikey J Remix) – New Music – SoulCulture". SoulCulture. SoulCulture.co.uk. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "FACTORY78 EXCLUSIVE – Estelle interview (Video). Published by DjLanre". Factory78. YouTube. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Estelle – Freshly Squeezed Interview (Channel 4)". YouTube. Archived from the original on 9 February 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- Levine, Nick (27 February 2012). "BBC – Music – Review of Estelle – All of Me". BBC Music. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Estelle – Back to Love (Official Video)". Estelle Online. YouTube. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Estelle 'Back To Love' (New Video) – MOBO Awards". MOBO Awards. Mobo.com. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Estelle interview - Celebrity - Lorraine - ITV.com". Lorraine. ITV. Retrieved 9 February 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Estelle video interview - theofficialcharts.com". The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Back To Love: Estelle: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "Music Chart Heaven – Estelle – All of Me". Music Chart Heaven. Retrieved 9 February 2012.
- "hmvdigitalUK – Back To Love by Estelle". HMV Digital. HMV Group. Retrieved 9 February 2012.