This article possibly contains original research. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Defunct||October 24, 2019|
|Headquarters||Boulder, Colorado, U.S.|
|Julian Farrior (CEO)|
Dale Thoms (CTO)
Tom Blind (Lead Game Designer)
|Products||Games for video game consoles, Android and Apple Inc. App Store|
Number of employees
Backflip Studios was a mobile game developer and publisher based in Boulder, Colorado, United States. It was founded by Julian Farrior, Dale Thoms and Tom Blind in April 2009. In August 2009, it was announced that the company had raised US$145,000 in funding to continue developing for the iPhone OS. Backflip Studios was best known for their free iOS game Paper Toss, which has been downloaded over 50 million times. They are also widely known for Dragonvale, with over 10 million downloads. In 2013, Backflip Studios sold a 70% stake in the company to Hasbro for $112 million in cash.
The studio closed on October 24, 2019.
- 1 iOS apps
- 1.1 Ragdoll Blaster
- 1.2 Paper Toss
- 1.3 Paper Toss: World Tour
- 1.4 Harbor Havoc 3D
- 1.5 Ragdoll Blaster 2
- 1.6 Strike Knight
- 1.7 Graffiti Ball
- 1.8 Tunnel Shoot
- 1.9 NinJump
- 1.10 Army of Darkness: Defense
- 1.11 DragonVale
- 1.12 Buganoids
- 1.13 NinJump Deluxe
- 1.14 Backflip Slots
- 1.15 Mahjongg Dimensions
- 1.16 Shape Shift
- 1.17 Solitaire by Backflip
- 1.18 Ragdoll Blaster 3
- 1.19 Gizmonauts
- 1.20 Ferno
- 1.21 Dragonvale Wings
- 1.22 Ninjump Smash
- 1.23 Dragonvale World
- 2 Android apps
- 3 Awards
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Paper Toss is a simulation game in which players toss paper into a metal trash can. There are multiple difficulties and crosswinds for challenging play.
Paper Toss: World Tour
Paper Toss: World Tour is a simulation game that is the sequel of Paper Toss. Players toss paper into metal trash cans located in various parts of the world.
Harbor Havoc 3D
Harbor Havoc 3D is a simulation game in which players direct marine traffic to their proper ports.
Ragdoll Blaster 2
Strike Knight is a simulation game which is based on real life puck bowling arcade games of the 80s and 90s.
Tunnel Shoot is a shooter developed by Backflip Studios and Team Phobic. In Tunnel Shoot, you pilot a ship down an endless, colorful, vector-drawn tunnel filled with obstacles and enemies.
Army of Darkness: Defense
Army of Darkness: Defense is a casual castle defense game based on the MGM classic movie, in which you play Ash, a time-traveling, evil-fighting, S-Mart sales clerk as you defend Lord Arthur's castle and the Necronomicon from the oncoming hordes of evil undead.
DragonVale is a breeding simulation application in which players design a park and display dragons in habitats in order to earn dragoncash. Dragons earn dragoncash while staying in their habitat. Different dragons earn at different rates depending upon their type and rarity. Dragoncash can be used to upgrade a park with new islands, habitats, and decorations. Currently the game has a maximum park level of 125; and there is a total dragon count of 506, decoration count of 437, and main island count of 28.
Buganoids is an action arcade game where you play as a little astronaut and shoot bugs on each planet.
NinJump Deluxe is an action game and the sequel of NinJump. The player, as a ninja, climbing up walls on the sides of the screen while dodging protruding objects and attacking things in the air. This version has three new levels.
Backflip Slots is a casino slot machine game in which you win cash, prizes and use bonus buddies. It also has the appearances of characters from other Backflip Studios games.
Mahjongg Dimensions is a puzzle game in which you have to match images and clear the blocks as quickly as possible.
Shape Shift is a simulation puzzle game in which you swap shapes with the same colors in unlimited levels.
Solitaire by Backflip
Solitaire by Backflip is a solitaire simulation game in which you can play Vegas style, or traditional one and three card draw Solitaire. It's complete with different card themes, like Ragdoll Blaster, and a prizes display case.
Ragdoll Blaster 3
Ragdoll Blaster 3 is a physics game in which players solve puzzles by shooting targets with rag dolls and a cannon. It's the third installment of the Ragdoll Blaster franchise.
Gizmonauts is similar to Dragonvale, in that the player breeds, feeds and battles with bots instead of dragons.
Ferno is a simulation game where you move your piece around a dark space-like board and collect orange flaming bolts to grow your piece, and your score. With 10 waves of fiery madness, you can grow your way to the top spot in the leaderboards.
Dragonvale Wings is a flight simulation game, similar to the hit "Flappy Bird", where you play a young fire dragon from Dragonvale. Navigate your way through the floating islands, collecting coins and gems for more points.
Ninjump Smash is an arcade style game where you play as the famous Ninjump ninja, breaking through walls to reach the highest score.
Dragonvale World is an offshoot of the popular DragonVale game. It features many of the same aspects as Dragonvale but with different dragons. Expand and decorate your park to your liking. Collect rare dragons by breeding and buying. Build fantastic buildings and habitats to generate more wealth.
Ninjump for Android is a port of the original iOS game to the Android.
Strike Knight is the newest edition in Back Flip's Android collection.
Dragonvale is a port of the original iOS game to the Android.
Dragonvale World is a port of the original iOS game to the Android.
Transformers: Earth Wars
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2018)
In 2012, Backflip Studios was recognized by 9News KUSA Denver as one of "50 Colorado Companies to Watch".
Apple recognized DragonVale as the #1 Top Grossing iPad app and the #4 Top Grossing iPhone app of 2012.
- linkedin company profile
- arn (June 10, 2010). "WWDC 2010: Backflip Studios' Success and Upcoming Games". Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Kee, Tameka. "game backflip raises money". Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Paper Toss - Android Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
- "Boulder's Backflip Studios sells majority stake to Hasbro". www.denverpost.com. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
- Studios, Backflip. "Hasbro, Backflip Studios and Space Ape Games Bring The Fight Home with TRANSFORMERS: EARTH WARS; Game Coming To iOS And Android in Select Markets Spring 2016". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-02-26.
- Takahashi, Dean (October 24, 2019). "Hasbro closes Backflip, studio behind DragonVale and Transformers mobile games". VentureBeat. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Andrew, Keith (May 29, 2009). "Pocket Gamer Ragdoll Blaster Review". pocketgamer.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- appolicious[permanent dead link]
- app chatter paper toss world tour review
- Macinnes, Fraser (November 20, 2009). "Pocket Gamer Harbor Havoc Review". pocketgamer.com. Retrieved December 1, 2019.
- Touch Arcade Ragdoll Blaster 2 Review
- Touch Arcade Strike Knight Review
- Pocket Gamer Graffiti Ball Review
- 148 Apps Tunnel Shoot Review
- 148 Apps NinJump Review
- Rise of the Collectible iPhone Robots
- Android and Me Paper Toss for Android
- BackflipStudios (2012-06-19), Backflip Studios on 9News "50 Colorado Companies To Watch", retrieved 2016-02-26
- "About – Backflip Studios". www.backflipstudios.com. Retrieved 2016-02-26.