|Genre||Sports Documentary series|
|Developed by||Time Warner Cable SportsNet|
|Starring||Los Angeles Lakers (2012-13)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original network||Time Warner Cable SportsNet
Time Warner Cable Deportes
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Original release||October 2012– present|
Backstage: Lakers is a reality sports documentary television series produced by Time Warner Cable SportsNet which covers the Los Angeles Lakers from an in-depth, behind-the-scenes angle, giving the viewer "unprecedented access" to the team.
The series has documented the season from inside the locker room, the practice facility, the executive offices, the training room, as well as chronicling the players at home with their families and on the road with their team.
A new 30-minute episode debuts every week of the season on Wednesdays at 5:00PM PST on Time Warner Cable SportsNet. Re-airs can be viewed multiple times throughout the week of the network. A Spanish-language version entitled Lakers Confidencial premieres every Thursday on Time Warner Cable Deportes.
After the landmark rights deal between Time Warner Cable and the Los Angeles Lakers was completed in February 2011, the idea for a weekly series was immediately put into motion based off the original talks of the partnership. Lakers Executive Vice President of Business Operations Jeanie Buss endorsed the proposed show as giving "one of the strongest fan bases in professional sports the access to the Lakers that they crave," while Time Warner Cable Sports executives stated that the Lakers would now allow cameras to go places "where they typically aren't allowed, which is exactly what was envisioned" when the decision was made to launch the networks.
Los Angeles Lakers (2012-13)
Some of the topics covered on Backstage: Lakers in the 2012-13 Lakers season included:
- The arrival of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard in the off-season, as cameras captured both players getting a tour of the Lakers' offices and training facilities on their first day with the team.
- The departure of head coach Mike Brown, the interim head coach Bernie Bickerstaff, and the arrival of present head coach Mike D'Antoni with a behind-the-scenes camera following D'Antoni as he greeted his new players and coached the team at the practice facility for the first time.
- The team's on-going adjustments with injuries to Dwight Howard, Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill, Kobe Bryant, and Metta World Peace.
- Lakers head athletic trainer Gary Vitti as he is wired for sound as he tends to an unexpected injury to Dwight Howard during the game.
- Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak and his daily responsibilities at the team offices and during the game.
- A special tribute to the life and legacy of Dr. Jerry Buss featuring highlights from his memorial service and a pre-game ceremony in his honor.
- A surprise reunion of an Army officer and his family at a Lakers game on January 25 at STAPLES Center after a brief return from duty in Afghanistan.
- Top-ranked tennis player Novak Djokovic shoots around with the team before a game at STAPLES Center, and meets Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard in the training room.
- The Lakers coaching staff during a pre-game morning meeting as they review plays and strategy before games against the Miami Heat and the Toronto Raptors.
- Exclusive footage inside the Lakers locker room immediately after the team's comeback win against the Toronto Raptors and a speech by Kobe Bryant to the team, after his 41 point, 12 assist performance, including multiple three-pointers to seal the victory.
- Behind-the-scenes footage of Kobe Bryant in the locker room immediately after his season-ending injury to his Achilles tendon with reaction from Gary Vitti and Head physical therapist Dr. Judy Seto.
- The team's first round playoff series in San Antonio.
A similar all-access series chronicling another team partner of Time Warner Cable SportsNet, the LA Galaxy, including exclusive interviews & footage on and off the field. The series premiered during the Galaxy's 2012 playoff run to the 2012 MLS Cup, and has returned to cover the 2013 season from a behind-the-scenes perspective. The show airs in Spanish as Galaxy Confidencial on Time Warner Cable Deportes.
- Backstage: Lakers Season Premiere Promo
- "Army Captain has emotional reunion with his family"
- "Behind the Kobe Miracle"
- Kobe on Dr. Seto: "She's Got That Golden Touch"
- Earl Clark: 'I just try to picture my kids'
- Lakers Get a Visit from a Tennis Great
- Lakers Confidencial Promo
- "Go Behind the Scenes of the Lakers". NBA. 2012-09-26. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- Flint, Joe (2013-09-26). "Time Warner Cable's broadcasts of Lakers games set for tipoff". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- New Lakers TV Deal With Time Warner Worth Reported $3 Billion SBNation, February 15, 2011
- "TWCSportsNet Programming Line-Up". TWCSN. 2012-10-01. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- Flint, Joe (2013-11-09). "Will 'Backstage Lakers' go backstage on Brown's firing?". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- Pincus, Eric (2013-02-26). "Backstage: Lakers to air Jerry Buss tribute". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- Pincus, Eric (2013-01-30). "'Backstage Lakers' to air Army captain's family reunion". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- Pincus, Eric (2013-03-20). "'Backstage: Lakers' to show an inside look at win over Raptors". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-03-31.
- ""Backstage: Galaxy" to Premier Tonight at 5 p.m. on Time Warner Cable SportsNet". LA Galaxy. 2012-11-15. Retrieved 2013-03-31.