|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (August 2012)|
Software as a service
|Founded||Louisville, KY, U.S. (November 15, 2008 )|
|Headquarters||17 Sellers Street, Cambridge, MA, U.S.|
Number of employees
Backupify, Inc. is an Internet-based data backup provider. Its service backs up user data from in popular web applications and software as a service providers to an independent, third-party online data storage system.
Founded in 2008 by Rob May, creator of Business Pundit blog, and Vik Chadha, Backupify was originally known as Lifestream Backup, as the company initially provided backup for lifestreaming services such as Photobucket, Twitter, Flickr and Friendfeed. In Oct. of 2009, the company rebranded as Backupify because, in May's words, "We have really moved beyond lifestreaming. Many of the tools we backup ... aren’t really lifestreaming tools." In Dec. of 2009, Backupify caught the attention of Jason Calcanis, who invited May to pitch potential investors at the first Open Angel Forum. This led to a $5.5 million venture funding round, which prompted Backupify to relocate from Louisville, KY to Cambridge, MA.
In May 2010, Backupify introduced Google Apps backup (since renamed Backupify for Google Apps), the company's first business product separate from its original consumer-focused web application backup service. Backupify has since shifted its focus from consumer-oriented cloud-to-cloud backup to more business-centric SaaS backup solutions, including Backupify for Salesforce. During Backupify's latest funding round, the company received a strategic investment from computer security software developer Symantec, though what role the businesses have not disclosed what role each will play in the other's plans.
In December 2014, Backupify was acquired by Datto. 
- "May, Rob, 'Backupify Turns 1 Year Old,' Backupify Blog, November 11, 2009". blog.backupify.com. 2009-11-15. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "May, Rob, 'Why Lifestreambackup is ReBranding as Backupify,' Backupify Blog, October 8, 2009". blog.backupify.com. 2009-10-08. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "May, Rob, 'How Open Angel Forum Helped Backupify Raise $5.5M,' Open Angel Forum Blog, September 13, 2010". openangelforum.com. 2010-09-13. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Boyd, Terry, 'Louisville could be a high-tech hub like Austin,' Insider Louisville, March 11, 2011". insiderlouisville.com. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- "May, Rob, 'Google Apps Backup Solution From Backupify,' Backupify Blog, May 26, 2010". blog.backupify.com. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Darrow, Barb, 'Backupify gets more corporate withe enterprise support program,' GigaOm, August 24, 2012". gigaom.com. 2012-08-24. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Perez, Sarah, 'Symantec Gives Cloud Backup A Boost, Goes In On Backupify’s $9 Million Series C,' TechCrunch, July 11, 2012". techcrunch.com. 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "Miller, Ron, 'Datto Snags Cloud Service Backupify,' TechCrunch, December 11, 2014". techcrunch.com. 2014-12-11. Retrieved 2015-02-06.