Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich
|Main ingredients||Bread, bacon, eggs (fried or scrambled), cheese|
|Cookbook: Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich Media: Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich|
A bacon, egg and cheese sandwich is a breakfast sandwich popular in the United States. The sandwich is typically made with bacon, eggs (typically fried or scrambled), cheese and bread, which may be buttered and toasted. Many similar sandwiches exist, substituting alternate meat products for the bacon or using different varieties of cheese or bread. The sandwich is often served as a breakfast item with coffee. BEC is sometimes used as an acronym for the sandwich, as is BE&C. McDonald's Egg McMuffin is a popular commercial version.
Many variations of the sandwich exist. Common choices for cheese include American, cheddar, provolone, and Swiss. The bacon can be substituted with many other types of preserved or seasoned meat like breakfast sausage, ham, back bacon (Canadian bacon), or pork roll. Various types of bread roll can be used as the bread for the sandwich, such as a croissant, bagel or kaiser roll. Tomato is sometimes used as an addition,[not in citation given] and more robust version includes a hash brown. The dish can also be served as a burrito or taco.
A typical sandwich with these ingredients has about 20 grams of fat and 350 calories.[not in citation given] A version has been adapted to make a low carbohydrate meal. In the United States, the bacon egg and cheese sandwich has also been modified into a prepackaged food product as a Hot Pocket (170 calories and 7 grams of fat) and a Lean Pocket (150 calories and 4.5 grams of fat).
In the United States, Sonic Drive-In offers a bacon egg and cheese "toaster". Arby's offers a "Sourdough Bacon, Egg & Swiss" with 500 calories and 29 grams of fat. Burger King serves up a "Croissan'wich with Bacon, Egg & Cheese" (360 calories and 22 grams of fat) as well as a "Double Croissan'wich with Sausage, Bacon, Egg & Cheese" (610 calories and 46 grams of fat). In New Zealand and some parts of Australia a "Massive McMuffin" is offered with ketchup, bacon, egg, American cheese and two sausage patties. For a time, Burger King offered an "Enormous Omelet Sandwich" with two egg patties, two strips of bacon, two slices of cheese and a sausage patty.
- "Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwich — What does BEC stand for?". TheFreeDictionary.com. Retrieved 2009-06-04.
- Berolzheimer, Ruth, ed. (1988) . "Baked Tomato Cheese Sandwiches". Culinary Arts Institute Encyclopedic Cookbook (revised ed.). Perigee. p. 186. ISBN 978-0-399-51388-6.
- Bellerson, Karen J. (2006). The complete & up-to-date fat book: reduce the fat in your diet with this guide to the fat, calories, and fat percentages in your food (5th ed.). Avery. pp. 89, 297, 298. ISBN 978-1-58333-247-4.
- A Complete Guide to Healthful Living[dead link] p. 544
- Beale, Lucy; Couvillon, Sandy G. (2004). "Open-faced Canadian bacon sandwich". The Complete Idiot's Guide to Low-carb Meals. Alpha Books. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-59257-180-2.
- Gassenheimer, Linda (2006). "Sunny-side Up Canadian Bacon and Cheese Toast". Prevention’s Fit and Fast Meals in Minutes: Over 175 Delicious, Healthy Recipes in 30 Minutes Or Less. Rodale. p. 66. ISBN 978-1-59486-416-2.
- Greenwood-Robinson, Maggie. The Essential Net Carb Counter. p. 134. ISBN 978-1-4165-0319-4.
- Helm, Janet Breakfast on the run: slim pickin’s among fast-food options April 1, 2005 Environmental Nutrition