|Single by Nick Jonas featuring Ty Dolla $ign|
|from the album Last Year Was Complicated|
|Released||July 12, 2016|
|Nick Jonas singles chronology|
|Ty Dolla $ign singles chronology|
"Bacon" is a song recorded by American singer Nick Jonas, featuring guest vocals from singer Ty Dolla $ign. It was released on July 12, 2016, as the second single from Jonas' third studio album, Last Year Was Complicated. The song was written by Jonas, Priscilla Renea, Tyrone Griffin, Jr. and Nolan Lambroza. "Bacon" was nominated for the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards for the category "Song of the Summer". It was the second consecutive year that Jonas was nominated for that award.
Background and release
On March 24, 2016, Jonas announced the song as part of the track list for his new album. In March, it was revealed that singer Ty Dolla $ign had a feature on the record. According to Jonas the song is about when you are out of a relationship and you start to be okay with the fact that it’s ended, saying "In my case my life was great, it’s so good that we should throw some bacon on it to make it even better". The track premiered on June 3, 2016, and was sent to US rhythmic radio on July 12, 2016, as the album's second single, replacing "Chainsaw", which had originally been confirmed for the position.
Kaitlyn Tiffany of The Verge compared the song to "Lucozade" to Zayn Malik and wrote that Ty Dolla $ign's verse is "explicitly about sex, but doesn't have anything to do with bacon". Kristie Rohwedder from Bustle wrote that the song is "another reason to be stoked" for the album. Idolator's Rachel Sonis called the song "super weird", saying that "I don’t get this one". Eddie Fu from Uproxx called it a "grown and sexy R&B track", also writing that "Ty Dolla $ign has shown he’s adept at working with pop acts in the past... and the R&B singer has delivered once again". Brianna Wiest of Teen Vogue called it a "super catchy, upbeat song" that "may seem like your average, everyday, low-key newly-single anthem".
A music video of the song was released on Tidal on June 6, 2016, with a 30-second teaser available to non-subscribers. The music video was filmed in New Orleans and is set in the vintage diner Ted's Frostop. It features Nick dancing with friends and eating bacon. Meanwhile, Ty Dolla $ign makes a cameo in a music video setting, complete with models and lowriders. On June 10, 2016, the music video was uploaded on Jonas' Vevo channel. Chord Overstreet of Jonas's Safehouse Records label also appears in the video.
The song reached the top 40 on the Mainstream Top 40 chart at number 37 and the Rhythmic Songs chart at number 35, becoming his first single to miss the top 30 on both charts. The song failed to enter the Billboard Hot 100 but reached number 20 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart.
On April 24, 2016, Jonas performed "Bacon" during his set at the New Orleans Jazz Festival. On June 10, 2016, he performed the songs on Today. On August 28, 2016, Jonas and Ty performed the song at the MTV Video Music Awards. On September 20, 2016, he performed the song solo on The Late Late Show with James Corden. The song is also part of the set list of his Future Now Tour.
- Digital download – remixes
- "Bacon" (featuring Ty Dolla $ign) (Hoodboi Remix) – 4:08
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||20|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||37|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||35|
|Worldwide||June 3, 2016||Digital download (Promotional single)|||
|United States||July 12, 2016||Rhythmic contemporary|||
|August 16, 2016||Contemporary hit radio|||
|United Kingdom||September 30, 2016||Digital download – Hoodboi Remix|||
- "Nick Jonas Shows He's All Grown Up On His New Song 'Bacon' With The Help Of Ty Dolla $ign". Uproxx. June 3, 2016. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "@nickjonas Remember I Told You... May 26th". Instagram. Retrieved 25 May 2017.
- "Top 40 Rhythmic Future Releases". All Access. Archived from the original on July 12, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Will Perform 'Bacon' at the VMAs With Ty Dolla $ign". Time. August 17, 2016. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Reveals New Album Title, Song Names, Collaborators & Drops Single 'Close' - Billboard". Billboard.
- Oberg, Emily (February 23, 2016). "Nick Jonas Teaches Us How to Box and Talk to Girls in Get Sweaty with Emily Oberg". Complex. United States: Complex Media Inc. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Has A New Song Called 'Bacon,' But What Does It Mean?".
- "Nick Jonas Chainsaw Music Video — Singer's New Music Video Features a Former Co-Star". Teen Vogue.
- Island Records (May 9, 2016). "Island Records". Island Records. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas released a song about bacon, and I have no idea if that's a sex thing". The Verge. June 3, 2016. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Lyrics From Nick Jonas' "Bacon" That Would Make For Wonderfully Confusing Text Messages". Bustle. June 4, 2016. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Links Up With Ty Dolla $ign On Super Weird "Bacon" Single: Listen". Idolator. June 3, 2016. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas's New Love Song Is Dedicated to "Bacon," Because He Just Gets Us". Teen Vogue. June 3, 2016. Retrieved September 25, 2016.
- Colin Stutz (June 6, 2016). "Nick Jonas Serves Up Tasty 'Bacon' Video With a Side of Ty Dolla $ign". Billboard. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "Video: Nick Jonas feat. Ty Dolla $ign – 'Bacon'". Rap-Up.
- "Nick Jonas - Bacon ft. Ty Dolla $ign". June 10, 2016. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- Daw, Robbie (11 October 2016). "Chord Overstreet Talks "Homeland," Nick Jonas And Making His Post-'Glee' Music: Interview | Idolator". Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on Idolator.com. Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- Ree Hines (June 10, 2016). "Nick Jonas rocks TODAY with a 'Complicated' concert on the plaza". TODAY.com. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "Concert review: Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas launch tour in Atlanta - Atlanta Music Scene with Melissa Ruggieri".
- "Nick Jonas Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved September 8, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved September 21, 2016.
- "Nick Jonas Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Monique Melendez (June 3, 2016). "Nick Jonas Featuring Ty Dolla $ign Drop 'Bacon': Listen". Billboard. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- "Top 40/M Future Releases". All Access. Archived from the original on August 14, 2016. Retrieved August 16, 2016.