Bacon soft drink
Jones Soda and J&D's Down Home Enterprises, both based in Seattle, Washington, collaborated to produce a bacon-flavored drink that has ten calories per serving. Real bacon is not used in its preparation, and it is a vegetarian product. Creation of the flavor took several months of work to accomplish, in attempts to mimic the flavor of bacon. Esquire magazine has described it as having a dark red color with a strong bacon odor and a strong sweetness derived from artificial sweetener. In a taste test survey conducted by epicurious for Jones Soda bacon-flavored soft drinks, overall totals from taste testers (using a 1-to-10 scale with 10 being the highest) equated to "Fragrance: 2.02, Flavor: 1.58, Bacony-ness: 4.57 and Overall: 1.76". In November 2010, the company's marketing director, Mike Spear, stated "We felt it was our duty as leaders in the premium soda category to carbonate bacon’s salty goodness." Jones Soda markets their bacon soda as part of a package that includes other bacon-flavored products, including bacon-flavored lip balm, popcorn, gravy and salt. The company also bottles and produces other meat-flavored sodas, such as turkey and gravy.
Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas, Texas produces a brand of bacon-flavored soft drinks named Meat Maniac. It has been described as having a synthetic bacon flavor and as creamy and sweet. The product has no animal products on its ingredient list.
Rocket Fizz, a franchise of candy stores with its flagship store in Camarillo, California, produces a bacon-flavored soft drink under their brand name Lester's Fixins that is named Bacon Soda. In 2012, the owner of the Rocket Fizz store in Denver, Colorado stated that bacon drinks are the store's best-selling soft drinks. Rocket Fizz also produces ranch dressing-flavored, buffalo wing-flavored, and dog drool-flavored drinks, among others.
- 'Disgusting' bacon soda turns stomach of New Yorkers who tried it, NY Daily News
- Taste-Testing Lockhart's New Bacon Soda, Dallas Observer
- Bacon Drinks Review - Jones Bacon Soda and Bakon Vodka Taste Test, Esquire
- The Cooler: Bacon Soda - Local 12 WKRC-TV Cincinnati Archived 2014-05-02 at the Wayback Machine
- Would You Drink Bacon Soda? | OC Weekly
- "The Great International Bacon-Soda Taste Test". Epicurious.
- Jones Soda selling bacon in bottle: Would you drink it? - Seattle's Big Blog
- Would you drink bacon soda?. USA Today.
- Jones Bacon Flavored Soda - Delish.com
- The Worst Four Sodas at the New Rocket Fizz Downtown | Blogtown, PDX | Portland Mercury
- Rocket Fizz Company Information
- Crazy Soda Flavors Taste Test: Buffalo Wing, Bacon, PB&J And More, Huffington Post
- Photos: Denver gets a Rocket Fizz Soda Pop and Candy Shop | Westword