Bacon vodka is vodka infused with bacon flavor, part of a larger trend of "carnivorous cocktails" and the addition of savory flavor to mixed drinks. The infused alcohol can be sipped but is typically used in mixed drinks like the Bloody Mary or bacon martini.
History and commercial availability
Meat-infused beverages are not new to the cocktail world; one example is the "Bull Shot" at a favorite of Ernest Hemingway, Harry's Bar, in Venice, Italy, in the 1940s. These type of drinks have been referenced by writers as far back as the 17th century, including by John Locke and Samuel Pepys, who imbibed and wrote about savory-infused ales. A handful of bars and mixologists have been making bacon or other meat-infused cocktails for years, including the Double Down Saloon in Las Vegas and New York, which has been famous for their "Bacon Martini" for over a decade, Smirnoff have also started doing bacon flavoured shots in some bars and pubs, unlike some, these are vegetarian friendly. Bacon and other meat-infused cocktails have only recently started enjoying wider appeal as mixologists have noted that "meat brings out the smokiness of the whiskey [and other cocktail combinations]". Mainstream interest in bacon vodka has been further driven by a pop-cultural interest in bacon, often called bacon mania.
In April 2009, Seattle-based Black Rock Spirits released a commercial version of bacon-infused vodka, which is known as "Bakon Vodka". The vodka was a result of two years of testing. Black Rock's vodka is a potato-based spirit, created using a single heating process of column distillation in an effort to keep the alcohol from "bruising". Black Rock Spirits has reported to have had commercial success to date, expanding production based on the demand.
"Food and Beverage World" said of the vodka "[I was] amazed at the mouthfeel. It was warm and had more substance than just vodka alone, and it actually tasted like the bacon I had last Sunday morning! It also reminded me of smoked pork. Swallowing it clinched the deal. It was among the smoothest vodkas I have ever had with absolutely no bite... It gave the drink a hint of smokiness and of course a subtle bacon flavor that really, really worked well."
Bakon Vodka has since received critical acclaim by professional mixologists, winning the 2010 Silver Medal winner in the Wine and Spirits category in the Beverage World BevStar Awards, and a Silver medal in the 2010 SIP Awards International Spirits Competition. In November 2010, Bakon Vodka was awarded a Gold medal and rated "92 points - Exceptional" by the Beverage Testing Institute's International Review of Spirits.
Bacon-flavored vodka infusions can be made by pouring 120 g (4 oz) of bacon fat in 750 ml (a fifth) of vodka, continuously stirring, freezing and then removing the fat off the top. The process is known as 'fat-washing'.
Black Rock Spirits, the maker of Bakon recommends sipping the vodka rather than taking it as a shot because of the strong smoky flavor. In a mixed drink the most popular recipe is Bakon Vodka's flagship cocktail, a variation on the Bloody Mary called the "Bakon Mary", where traditional vodka is substituted with Bakon Vodka. The Bakon Caesar, popular in Canada, is a variation of the Bloody Mary that uses Clamato or clam broth.
The creation of Bakon Vodka has inspired bartenders to create a number of cocktails based on the infusion, where the smoke and umami flavor accents other more traditional flavors. Popular drinks with Bakon Vodka include the Bakon Martini, the Bakon Russian (similar to a White Russian) and the Bakon-Chocolate Martini. It can also be used in a marinade for meats such as steak, or straight in a Bakon-Vodka Oyster Shooter.
- Stein, Joel (April 12, 2010). "Cocktails for Carnivores: Drinks Infused with Meat". Time.
- Meat in a Glass: The Carnivore Cocktail – Los Angeles Restaurants and Dining – Squid Ink
- Umami in Cocktails :: Art of Drink
- Bakon Vodka :: Story
- Double Down Saloon – Home of the fabled Ass Juice, Birthplace of the Bacon Martini
- Marianne. "Bakon Vodka". Royal Bacon Society. Retrieved December 20, 2014.
- "Bakon Vodka". Black Rock Spirits. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- Wilkinson, Erik. "Sales of bacon-flavored vodka sizzling". NorthWest Cable News. Archived from the original on 29 May 2009. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- "Bacon-Flavored Vodka Sales are Sizzling". NBC San Diego News. Archived from the original on 27 June 2009. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- Sam, Sessa. "The scoop on bacon vodka". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- George's Rants: Bakon Vodka Review | FBWorld.com
- Bakon Vodka :: News
- O'Brien, Conan; Richter, Andy (2009-06-10). "Dane Cook, Steven Ho, Rancid". The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. Season 1. Episode 8. Universal City, California. NBC.
- http://blenderbooze.blogspot.com/2011/02/fat-washing-process-for-bacon-infused.html Foodie Gossip: Fat Washing Process for Bacon-Infused Liquor
- "Latest Bacon-Inspired Craze: Bakon Vodka". Fox News Online. Archived from the original on 16 May 2009. Retrieved May 27, 2009.
- Bakon Vodka :: Recipes