Bad Blood (TV series)
|Created by||Simon Barry|
|Based on||Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War|
by Antonio Nicaso and Peter Edwards
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||11 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||44–45 minutes|
|Original release||September 21, 2017– present|
Bad Blood is a Canadian television crime drama series created and produced by Simon Barry. The show premiered on Citytv on September 21, 2017, with a French language version of the show that premiered on November 11, 2017 on Ici Radio-Canada Télé under the title Les liens du sang. The first season is based on the 2015 book Business or Blood: Mafia Boss Vito Rizzuto's Last War, by Antonio Nicaso and Peter Edwards; a dramatization of the rise and fall of the real-life Rizzuto crime family, a Montreal-based mafia organization. The second season veers from the book and is fully fictionalized. Bad Blood is filmed in Montreal, Quebec and Sudbury, Ontario, with the first season set in Montreal, and the second season also featuring Hamilton. Initially intended as a miniseries, on March 6, 2018, Rogers Media renewed the show for a second season. The second season, along with being broadcast on Citytv, was also broadcast on FX Canada.
The Rizzuto family consists of crime boss Vito Rizzuto (Anthony LaPaglia), high-ranking member Declan Gardiner (Kim Coates), consigliere Bruno Bonsignori (Enrico Colantoni) and associate Gio (Tony Nappo). The first season also features Vito's father Nicolo Rizzuto (Paul Sorvino), patriarch of the family, along with his son Nico Jr. (Brett Donahue) who looks to take over as boss. The second season, introduces the characters Domenic Cosoleto (Louis Ferreira) and Enzo Cosoleto (Daniel Kash), of the Cosoleto brothers in Hamilton, and Teresa Langana (Anna Hopkins) and Christian Langana (Gianni Falcone), children of a mobster in Italy who look to expand their territory.
Cast and characters
- Anthony LaPaglia as Vito Rizzuto (season 1) – boss of Montreal's Rizzuto crime family
- Kim Coates as Declan Gardiner – acting boss of the Rizzuto family when Vito goes to prison, and later as the preeminent crime figure in Montreal when he overtakes Vito
- Paul Sorvino as Nicolo Rizzuto (season 1) – patriarch and founder of the Rizzuto family
- Enrico Colantoni as Bruno Bonsignori (season 1) – Rizzuto family consigliere
- Brett Donahue as Nico Jr. (season 1) – Vito's oldest son
- Maxim Roy as Michelle (season 1) – Vito's confidante
- Tony Nappo as Gio (season 1) – soldier of the Rizzuto family
- Michelle Mylett as Sophie (season 1) – Vito's mistress
- Ryan McDonald as Reggie Ross (season 2) – Declan's nephew recently released from prison
- Sharon Taylor as Rose Sunwind (season 2) – head of the Sunwind family that operates cigarette smuggling across the border through their Indian reserve, who partners with Declan in his drug smuggling operation
- Anna Hopkins as Teresa Langana (season 2) – twin siblings with Christian Langana, daughter of a 'Ndrangheta mob boss in Italy looking to expand their Canadian territory from Hamilton into Montreal
- Gianni Falcone as Christian Langana (season 2) – twin siblings with Teresa Langana
- Louis Ferreira as Domenic Cosoleto (season 2) – one of the Cosoleto brothers, a 'Ndrangheta branch in Hamilton
- Daniel Kash as Lorenzo "Enzo" Cosoleto (season 2) – one of the Cosoleto brothers
- Franco Lo Presti as Luca Cosoleto (season 2) – son of Domenic Cosoleto
- Dylan Taylor as Ignazio "Nats" Cosoleto (season 2) – son of Enzo Cosoleto
- Melanie Scrofano as Valentina Cosoleto (season 2) – Nats' wife who turns informant
- Lisa Berry as Nellie Bullock (season 2) – RCMP Officer in the organized crime division who has been tracking the Cosoletos for years
- Joris Jarsky as Sal Montagna (season 1) – competing gang member and acting boss of New York City's Bonnano crime family
- Angela Asher as Renata (season 1) – Vito's lawyer
- Vincent Leclerc as Jacques Pilote (season 1) – biker gang member
- Clauter Alexandre as Papa Lou (season 1) – Haitian gang member
- Claudia Ferri as France Charbonneau (season 1) – Quebec Superior Court Justice in charge of fighting the corruption within the Rizzuto family
- Simu Liu as Guy (season 1) – France's colleague
- Amber Goldfarb as Rachel (season 1) – France's colleague
- Andrea Senior as Jeanne (season 1) – France's secretary
- Romano Orzari as Toto Bianchi (season 1) – a partner of Sal's
- Ryan Blakely as Marc Desjardins (season 1) – Rizzuto contact with Montreal's snow removal contracts
- Valerie Buhagiar as Loredana (season 1)
- Nicholas Campbell as Lonnie Gardiner (season 1) – Declan's drug addicted father
- Joel Gagne as Luke (season 1) – prison inmate
- Moe Jeudy-Lamour as Marlon (season 1) – prison inmate
- Eric Hicks as Ken Tucker (season 2) – Nellie Bullock's assistant officer
- Oluwole Daramola as Siro (season 2) – Teresa and Christian Langana's body guard
- Pedro Miguel Arce as Jorge Ramirez (season 2) – Mexican cartel boss
- Ajuawak Kapashesit as Twix Sunwind (season 2) – Member of the Sunwind family
- Brandon Oakes as Bobby Sunwind (season 2) – Rose's brother, incarcerated member of the Sunwind family
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||6||September 21, 2017||October 26, 2017|
|2||8||October 11, 2018|
Season 1 (2017)
In the early 2000s, Vito Rizzuto (Anthony LaPaglia) is the boss of a crime family, seeking to bring peace to Montreal's criminal world. He succeeds, but, after being implicated and arrested for multiple murders committed in 1981, his empire crumbles. While in prison, Vito's son, Nico Jr. (Brett Donahue) and his father, Nicolo Rizzuto (Paul Sorvino) are murdered by his adversaries, while the family was entrusted to his right-hand man, Declan Gardiner (Kim Coates). Shipments of drugs are also picked off by the main antagonist, Sal Montagna (Joris Jarsky). Meanwhile, Quebec Superior Court Justice France Charbonneau (Claudia Ferri) is in charge to fight the corruption within the Rizzuto family. Upon Vito's release in 2012, he shuns his right-hand man, Declan Gardiner (Kim Coates), for the deaths in his family under his watch, later forgiving him as he sets out on a path of revenge against anyone who ever crossed the Rizzuto family. Declan, feeling betrayed, secretly switches allegiance to that of Sal, before killing him. Declan also later poisons Vito, killing him, as Declan is left as Montreal's drug kingpin.
Season 2 (2018)
Five years after Vito Rizzuto's death, his former right-hand man, Declan Gardiner (Kim Coates), is the reigning king of the Montreal drug trade — until a new breed of mobsters arrive from Italy to wage war in an attempt to wrestle the city from his grasp. Declan comes up against rivals, both old and new, who want to start dealing more dangerous substances; meanwhile, the Organized Crime Task Force gets ready to take everyone down with the help of a confidential informant. Although he prefers to work alone, Declan soon realizes that, in order to remain on top, he'll need to enlist some help. Hamilton's Cosoleto brothers, Domenic (Louis Ferreira) and Enzo (Daniel Kash), and their sons, Luca (Franco Lo Presti) and Nats (Dylan Taylor). On the opposite side of the law is a Senior Agent in the Organized Crime Task Force, Nellie Bullock (Lisa Berry), who is working her confidential informant, Nats's wife, Valentina Cosoleto (Melanie Scrofano). Things turn explosive when Declan refuses an offer to partner with the Cosoleto brothers and the Langana twin siblings, Teresa (Anna Hopkins) and Christian (newcomer Gianni Falcone). Left with no other choice, Declan looks to partner with an unlikely ally, Rose Sunwind (Sharon Taylor), and feels obliged to take a friend from his past, Reggie Ross (Ryan McDonald), under his wing.
The first season reached a total of 3.2 million Canadian viewers.
John Doyle of The Globe and Mail praised the series, calling it "very superior docu-drama: gripping, richly textured and unfussily focused not just on the violent dynamics of a successful mob operation but on what happens when a strong leader is absent and the centre of power disintegrates."
- "City TV unveils a Canadian 'Sopranos' for the fall". Toronto Star, June 6, 2017.
- "Bad Blood une version atténuéé du clan Rizzuto" (in French). lapresse.ca. September 21, 2017.
- "Montreal Mafia TV series coming to a screen near you in fall 2017". Montreal Gazette, January 12, 2017.
- "'I'm in friggin' charge now': Kim Coates talks about City TV's Bad Blood Season 2". thestar.com. 6 October 2018.
- "City Renews Blockbuster Original Drama Bad Blood for Season 2". rogersmediatv.ca. 6 March 2018.
- "Bad Blood Welcomes New Blood for Season 2 of the City Original Series". about.rogers.com. 28 May 2018.
- "Bad Blood is bloody good: Mini-series about the Montreal Mafia moves along with a propulsive force". The Globe and Mail. September 21, 2017.