Bad Influence (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Curtis Hanson|
|Produced by||Steve Tisch|
|Written by||David Koepp|
|Music by||Trevor Jones|
|Edited by||Bonnie Koehler|
|Distributed by||Triumph Releasing Corporation|
|March 9, 1990|
Bad Influence is a 1990 American thriller film directed by Curtis Hanson starring Rob Lowe and James Spader. In this noirish film, Spader plays a yuppie who meets a mysterious stranger (Lowe) who encourages him to explore his dark side. Bad Influence was the first original screenplay for which David Koepp received a sole screenplay credit. The film's villain is loosely based on a real person, a nomadic surfer who befriended executive producer Morrie Eisenman.
Michael, a shy, socially awkward doormat, meets the extroverted Alex, who teaches him to be assertive and take risks. Things go too far however, when they go on a drug-fueled crime spree and assault a coworker Michael dislikes. When Michael wants out, Alex takes it upon himself to convince Michael to reconsider his decision - one way or another.
- Rob Lowe as Alex
- James Spader as Michael Boll
- Lisa Zane as Claire
- Christian Clemenson as Pismo Boll
- Marcia Cross as Ruth Fielding
- Kathleen Wilhoite as Leslie
- Grand L. Bush as Bartender
- David Duchovny as Club Goer with Glasses
- Perri Lister as Claire's Friend
- Michael Kristick as Bouncer
- Bianca Rossini as Bumped Woman
- John de Lancie as Howard
- Warren Stanhope as Banker
- Lilyan Chauvin as Art Gallery Patron
- Rosalyn Landor as Britt
- Tony Maggio as Patterson
- Palmer Lee Todd as Naked Woman
- Sunny Smith as Waitress
- Susan Lee Hoffman as Karen, Woman in Bar
- Jeff Kaake as Willie, Man in Bar
Rob Lowe said in a 2017 interview it was the project in his career he did not feel got the attention it deserved. "It was really ahead of its time," he said. "I’m really proud of it... It’s sexy. It’s weird. It’s dark. The characters are great... It’s also a great snapshot of underground L.A. at the beginning of the ’90s. And yet it doesn’t feel dated."
- "Bad Influence (1990)". imdb.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Ebert, Roger. "Bad Influence". rogerebert.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Canby, Vincent. "Bad Influence (1990)". nytimes.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Bad Influence (1990)". amazon.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "BAD INFLUENCE". movieguide.org. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Bad Influence (1990)". ew.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- "Bad Influence (1990)". rottentomatoes.com. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Harris, Will (8 February 2017). "Of all his films, Rob Lowe wants you to go back and watch Bad Influence". The AV Club. Retrieved 1 March 2017.