Bad Lieutenant (band)
|Associated acts||New Order, Joy Division, Electronic, Marion, Rambo and Leroy, Blur|
|Past members||Bernard Sumner
Bad Lieutenant (// lew-TEN-ənt) was an English alternative rock band formed in 2007 following the second breakup of New Order. The band consisted of former New Order members Bernard Sumner and Phil Cunningham as well as Rambo & Leroy's Jake Evans.
In May 2007, New Order's Peter Hook was interviewed by British radio station XFM and asked if New Order was over. He announced that he and Bernard Sumner were no longer working together. After Hook's announcement, a spokesperson for the band denied the claims and said that with or without Hook, New Order would continue to make music. However, in 2008, Bernard Sumner announced that there were no plans for more New Order albums.
In 2008, Bad Lieutenant formed, including both Bernard Sumner and Phil Cunningham of New Order, as well as Rambo and Leroy's Jake Evans. Their debut album Never Cry Another Tear also features appearances by Stephen Morris of New Order (Drums), Jack Mitchell (Drums), Tom Chapman (Bass) and Alex James of Blur (Bass). In July 2009 an article in a local newspaper, Stephen Morris discussed his participation in the new band, following the demise of New Order: "I'm only on a few tracks, but it's great to be playing with them again." The live band included Morris on drums and Chapman on bass.
2009–2011: Never Cry Another Tear
On 2 July 2009, Bernard Sumner confirmed that single "Sink or Swim" would be released on 28 September 2009 and would be the first off the album Never Cry Another Tear. The single was hosted for free on the band's website prior to its physical release; it was followed by a digital bundle release with remixes of the song by Berlin-based music producer Mark Reeder, as well as James Bright and The Teenagers.
The band set off on a tour of the UK throughout October and November 2009. The band scheduled and subsequently cancelled four U.S. tour dates. They then supported the Pet Shop Boys on the British leg of their Pandemonium Tour. An additional tour of the U.S. was scheduled for April 2010, but was cancelled due to the Icelandic volcano eruptions.
"Twist of Fate" was released as the second single on 22 March 2010, backed with a remix of "Poisonous Intent". It was followed by a digital bundle of remixes by Mark Reeder, AK47, Koishii & Hush, and James Bright. The group held a contest for fans to create the official video of the song.
The group spent the summer performing at a number of European music festivals. On 11 June 2010, the group supported Ian Brown in a special day-long concert at Platt Fields Park in Manchester. The band performed songs from their album as well as a number of New Order and Joy Division tracks.
On 17 February 2011, Jake Evans announced via the group's MySpace that the group were working on new material, although no dates were given for an album or single release at this time.
On 11 March 2011, the group announced that they would be headlining Friends of Mine Festival at Capesthorne Hall on Friday 20 May alongside The Charlatans, The Lightning Seeds, Buzzcocks, The Fall, The Cribs, The Farm, John Cooper Clarke, Mr Scruff and Goldblade.
The band are now on an indefinite hiatus since Sumner and Cunningham's return to New Order. Evans is currently working on new solo material and supported New Order on their tour in early 2012.
- Bernard Sumner - Vocals, Backing Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
- Phil Cunningham - Guitar, Keyboards
- Jake Evans - Guitar, Vocals, Backing Vocals, Keyboards
- Touring members
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2009||Never Cry Another Tear||70||89|
|2009||"Sink or Swim"||Never Cry Another Tear|
|2010||"Sink or Swim Remix Bundle"|
|"Twist of Fate"|
|2011||"Twist of Fate Remix Bundle"|
- Radcliffe & Maconie (Radio broadcast). UK: BBC Radio 2. 6 October 2009.
- The Never Cry Another Tear album liner notes explicitly state, "Bad Lieutenant are Phil Cunningham, Jake Evans, Bernard Sumner"
- Bad Lieutenant at AllMusic
- Sean Michaels (2009-06-15). "New Order and Blur members announce supergroup". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Former band members create a new order - New Order Online - A New Order and Joy Division Web Site". www.neworderonline.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Mark Reeder official myspace blog myspace.com
- Bad Lieutenant Official Youtube Sink or Swim Mark Reeder remix video youtube.com
- Bad Lieutenant "Sink Or Swim" remixes by Mark Reeder, James Bright, Teenagers bandweblogs.com/blog 2010-01-18
- Sink or Swim.Bad Lieutenant Official website.
- "CD and tour dates". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "CANCELS REMAINING U.S. CONCERT DATES | Bad Lieutenant | Official Site". Bad Lieutenant. 2010-04-17. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Bad Lieutenant (3) - Twist Of Fate Remixes". Discogs. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "Prince William helps stars launch Centrepoint 'Key to Change' album — Centrepoint". Centrepoint.org.uk. Archived from the original on 8 October 2010. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Centrepoint 'Key to Change' Album' and a cup of tea at the palace. van Bad Lieutenant op Myspace". Blogs.myspace.com. Archived from the original on 7 February 2009. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- "Chart Stats - Bad Lieutenant". chartstats.com. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Discographie Bad Lieutenant". Lescharts.com. Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 2011-03-02.