Bad Piggies Icon
|Producer(s)||Petri Järvilehto, Mikael Hed, Jaakko Haapasalo|
|Designer(s)||Markus Tuppurainen, Peter Urbanics|
|Programmer(s)||Marco Rapino, Miika Virpioja, Mauricio Hollando, Jussi Markkanen|
|Release date(s)||September 27, 2012|
Bad Piggies is a puzzle video game developed by Rovio Entertainment, and was its first spin-off to Angry Birds. The game launched on Android, iOS, Windows and Mac on September 27, 2012. It was released for BlackBerry 10 in October 2013 and for Windows Phone in April 2014. Unlike the Angry Birds games, the player helps the pigs in build devices that travel on land and air to find pieces of a map to find and take away the Angry Birds' eggs. As of October 2012, Bad Piggies was the fastest-selling game on the Apple App Store, and the quickest one to reach the top of the app list in just three hours.
The objective of the game is to build a contraption that transports the pig from a starting point to the finish line, usually indicated by a map. Such contraptions are made of wood and iron (similar to Angry Birds), as well as other objects such as wheels, two-liter bottles, umbrellas (to increase air resistance), motors, fans, TNT, balloons, ropes, and rockets.
Similar to Angry Birds, the player can earn up to three stars per level, but stars are not earned by scoring points. Instead, players automatically earn one star for completing the level. For each level, the other two stars can be obtained by:
- Completing the level within a certain time limit (e.g. 10 seconds)
- Collecting 1 or 2 "star boxes" on the playing field
- Not using a certain part (e.g. a wheel, an umbrella, etc.)
- Not damaging the contraption
- Transporting the King Pig along with the Freckled Pig
- Transporting the Egg (this is mandatory in Flight in the Night)
- Transporting the Halloween Candy (this is mandatory in Tusk 'til Dawn)
For example, on level 1-1, a player can earn three stars by completing the level, collecting a star on the playing field and by not damaging the vehicle. On some levels, it is impossible to earn all three stars at once, so the player must play the level two or more times in order to obtain three stars.
Additionally, "skulls" are placed throughout the levels, in which a player can unlock the skull level in the Sandbox by finding at least 10 out of the over 40 hidden skulls.
After the release of the remaining 30 levels of Rise and Swine, Rovio added a "Feed the King" mini-game, in order to earn power-ups in the game. Whenever the player obtains a dessert during gameplay, which they can use to feed King Pig to receive power-ups such as sticky glue (makes your contraption more durable), motor boost, golden engineer, and super magnet. The King Pig only has a slight chance of giving a power-up. The only other way to get power-ups is by purchasing them in their store.
|#||Episode||Levels||Release date||Introduced items||Introduced features|
|1||Ground Hog Day||45||September 27, 2012||Freckles, King Pig, Boxes, Wheels, Soda Bottles, Umbrellas, Engines, TNT, Fans||Tutorial, Tutorial Book, Mechanic Pig|
|2||Rise and Swine||45||May 8, 2013||Boxing Gloves, Suction Cup Wheels, Grappling Hook||Desserts, Feed the King Mini-game, Power-ups|
|3||When Pigs Fly||45||September 27, 2012||Balloons, Sandbags, Fireworks, Airplane Wings, Propellers, Red Star Balloons||Wind|
|4||Flight in the Night||45||October 25, 2012||Eggs||Shooting Birds and new Star Objective|
|5||Tusk 'til Dawn||30||October 17, 2013||Candies, Starstorm||New exclusive gameplay Music featuring Major Lazer and new Star objective|
|R||Road Hogs||8||February 27, 2013||None||Time limit levels|
|S||Sandbox||11 and 1 in-app trial + purchuse||September 27, 2012||Detacher (Field of Dreams and Little Pig Adventure only)
Gearbox (Little Pig Adventure only)
|Levels purposely made for user creations|
Mark Brown of Pocket Gamer gave the game a Silver Award and called it "creative, addictive, and absolutely packed with content", while lamenting that it felt "a little too safe and predictable". IGN rated it the best mobile game of 2012.
- "Unraveling the unending oink: Bad Piggies by Rovio". Unity3d.com. Retrieved August 2013.
- "Rovio to launch Bad Piggies on September 27". Rovio.
- Cai, Catherine. "Rovio's Bad Piggies is Fastest Selling #1 Game on App Store". Tom's Hardware. Retrieved October 2012.
- "Bad Piggies Finally Sets Up Home on Windows Phone.". Windows Gamers. 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2014-04-16.
- "After 'Angry Birds' success, Rovio to launch 'Bad Piggies'". The Australian. September 5, 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "Bad piggies review". Retrieved 2012-09-26.
- Mallory, Jordan. "Bad Piggies is Rovio's quickest selling #1 game, free content update coming soon". Joystiq. Retrieved October 2012.
- "Bad Piggies App Review". FlashMush Reviews.
- "Bad Piggies Available For Universal Platforms". Downloadbirds.
- "Bad Piggies for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-04-17.
- Mark Brown (2012-09-26). "Bad Piggies Review". PocketGamer.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- Official website
- Bad Piggies on Tumblr
- Bad Piggies on Twitter
- Bad Piggies on Tumblr
- Bad Piggies on Facebook