Bad Reputation (Joan Jett song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Joan Jett|
|from the album Bad Reputation|
|Genre||Punk rock, hard rock|
|Writer(s)||Joan Jett/Ritchie Cordell/Kenny Laguna/Marty Joe Kupersmith|
|Joan Jett singles chronology|
The video, directed by David Mallet, is a re-enactment of 23 record labels rejecting Joan Jett's first solo album and her subsequent rise to the top of the charts with "I Love Rock 'n' Roll". Kenny Laguna, cofounder of Blackheart Records, makes a cameo as the Warner Brothers executive.
In popular culture
The song is featured in the following films and television series:
- 1999: Opening theme for Freaks and Geeks
- 1999: At the beginning of the film 10 Things I Hate About You (not included in the soundtrack)
- 2001: Special Unit 2 (episode "The Grain")
- 2001: Shrek (original version in film, a cover by Halfcocked on accompanying soundtrack)
- 2006: American Chopper (starting from season 4)
- 2008: Baby Mama
- 2010: End credits in The Runaways
- 2010: The Cleveland Show (episode "Buried Pleasure")
- 2010: Easy A
- 2010: Kick-Ass (original version in film, a cover by The Hit Girls on accompanying soundtrack)
- 2012: One Piece Film: Z (ending credits)
- 2015: The Duff
- 2015: Barely Lethal
- 2015: Nashville (episode "How Can I Help You Say Goodbye," in a cover performed by Hayden Panettiere and Will Chase)
- 2015: Jessica Jones (used on a teaser trailer for the series)
- 2016: The Muppets (TV series) (episode "A Tail of Two Piggies", performed by Joan Jett)
Additionally, the song is featured as playable song in the video game Rock Band 2. Cover versions are sung by surf band Los Straitjackets and Avril Lavigne. The song was sampled by Peaches on the track "I Don't Give A...," taken from her 2003 album Fatherfucker.
The song was used for a 2011 animated AIDS awareness video produced by the French non-profit organization AIDES. The cartoon, produced by Goodby, Silverstein and Partners and presented in the style of 1920s era animation, features the comically exaggerated sexual adventures of a cat named "Smutley" and ends with the message, "He has nine lives. You only have one. Protect yourself."
The song was used in the summer 2016 Shakespeare in the Park (New York City) production of "The Taming of the Shrew."
Avril Lavigne version
|Song by Avril Lavigne from the album Goodbye Lullaby and One Piece Film: Z|
|Released||11 December 2012|
|Genre||Pop punk, punk rock|
|Label||Sony Music Japan|
"Bad Reputation" was recorded by Canadian singer Avril Lavigne for a video montage interval in her Best Damn Tour. The studio recording of the cover was later included on the deluxe edition of her fourth studio album Goodbye Lullaby and on the Japanese edition of her fifth self-titled album. It was then reported on 17 October 2012 that Lavigne would be contributing two cover songs to the anime film One Piece Film: Z; the latter studio recording and a cover of Nickelback's "How You Remind Me". The song was released for the film only in Japan on 11 December 2012, as a digital download on the One Piece Film: Z Original Soundtrack. After heavy radio airplay, the cover peaked at No. 8 on the Japan Hot 100.
|Japan Hot 100 (Billboard)||8|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- "spreadit.org music". Archived from the original on 12 February 2009. Retrieved February 7, 2009.
- "Joan Jett and Blackhearts's Greatest Hits". Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- Campagnes de sensibilisation on AIDES' website
- "Un épisode de Smutley: La queue en l'air" on the AIDES website
- "Canadian Singer Avril Lavigne Contributes One Piece Film Z Themes". Anime News Network. 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2012-11-23.
- "One Piece Film Z Soundtrack". CDJapan.co.jp. Retrieved August 22, 2013.
- Hot 100｜JAPAN Charts｜Billboard JAPAN