Baden (//; German: [ˈbaːdn̩]) is a historical German territory. Together with Württemberg and the former Prussian Province of Hohenzollern, two other historical territories, it forms the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg. The margraves of Baden originated from the house of Zähringen. Baden is named after the margraves’ residence Hohenbaden Castle in Baden-Baden. The capital of the Grand Duchy of Baden was Karlsruhe.
Following the dissolution of the old Duchy of Swabia, Baden underwent a history which can be summarized as follows:
- Margraviate of Baden (1112–1806)
- Electorate of Baden (1803–1806)
- Grand Duchy of Baden (1806–1918), enlarged to four or five times the size of the Margraviate.
- Republic of Baden (1918–1945)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Baden.|
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- "Baden, historical state, Germany". Encyclopedia Britannica. Retrieved 2018-05-09.