Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Amit Ravindernath Sharma|
|Produced by||Vineet Jain|
Amit Ravindernath Sharma
|Written by||Shanatanu Srivastava |
|Screenplay by||Akshat Ghildial|
|Edited by||Dev Rao Jadhav|
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||₹193.08 crore|
Badhaai Ho (transl. Congratulations; Hindi pronunciation: [bədʱaːiː ɦoː]) is a 2018 Indian Hindi-language comedy-drama film directed by Amit Ravindernath Sharma. The film stars Ayushmann Khurrana, Neena Gupta, Gajraj Rao, and Sanya Malhotra in lead roles. It is produced by Vineet Jain, Hemant Bhandari and Aleya Sen under the banner of Junglee Pictures and Chrome Pictures, and is written by Shantanu Srivastava and Akshat Ghildial. It emerged as a critical and commercial success and ranks as one of the highest grossing Bollywood films of 2018.
Nakul (Ayushmann Khurrana), is a 25-year-old working guy, and is in a stable relationship with his colleague, Renee (Sanya Malhotra). Her mother Sangeeta (Sheeba Chaddha) likes him and approves of their relationship. His father Jeetender Kaushik (Gajraj Rao), is a middle-aged man working in the Railways. His mother Priyamvada (Neena Gupta) is a typical housewife. His younger brother Gullar is a high school student. His grandmother (Surekha Sikri) always quarrels with Priyamvada and dominates over her son Jeetu. One day, she taunts Priyamvada, who gets upset. Jeetu consoles his wife and they get intimate.
19 weeks later, Priyamvada realizes she is pregnant. She finds it sinful to abort the child. Jeetu announces Priyamvada's third pregnancy to the family. The two sons get embarrassed and start to avoid their parents, friends and society. Their grandma is also shocked and upset.
The news becomes viral and they are made fun of by family, friends, relatives, and society. Nakul begins to avoid Renee. Jeetu and Priyamvada ask Nakul and Gullar to accompany them to Meerut for their cousin's wedding. Both of them refuse by making excuses. This makes Jeetu angry at them and he leaves with his wife and mother. Meanwhile, Renee offers a room-date to cheer Nakul up. But he is unable to get intimate with her as it reminds him of his mom's pregnancy. Sangeeta gets to know about Nakul's mom's pregnancy from Renee. She is shocked and speaks ill about the Kaushik family. Nakul overhears this and behaves rudely with Sangeeta, and breaks up with Renee.
In Meerut, Kaushik's elder sister-in-law and sister talk harshly with Priyamvada for her late pregnancy. First time his mother defends her daughter-in-law for her dutifulness, and makes them realize their selfishness and mean attitude towards her.
Gullar reveals to Nakul that some boys made fun of his mom's pregnancy at school and when he responded to them, one of them hit him. Nakul goes to the school the next day and Gullar slaps the boy thrice. Nakul meets own friends and when one of them taunts him, he gives a befitting reply. He reconciles with his parents and begins to fulfill his duties as a son. Priyamvada realizes that Nakul has had a breakup with Renee, and she tells him to apologize to Renee's mother. Nakul reluctantly agrees.
As the baby shower preparations begin, Priyamvada goes into labour pain is immediately taken to the hospital. Sangeeta tells Renee about Nakul's apology and also that she has forgiven Nakul. Renee rushes to Nakul's home and then to the hospital. After the delivery, the doctor announces the birth of a baby girl.
After 15 months, Nakul and Renee get engaged.
- Ayushmann Khurrana as Nakul Kaushik
- Neena Gupta as Priyamvada Kaushik
- Gajraj Rao as Jeetender Kaushik
- Surekha Sikri as Dadi
- Sanya Malhotra as Renee Sharma
- Sheeba Chaddha as Sangeeta Sharma
- Shardul Rana as Gullar Kaushik
- Rahul Tewari as Junaa
- Alka Kaushal as Gudan bhua
- Arun Kalra as Sunil ji
Principal photography began on 29 January 2018 and the first schedule of the film was shot in Mumbai which wrapped on 11 February. The second schedule of the film began on 16 February 2018 in Delhi near around Street No1, Darya Ganj Ansari Road and ended on 21 March 2018. The film was shot in two schedules.
Marketing and promotions
Badhaai Ho had a positive first day, earning ₹7.25 crore at the box office, as reported by Boxofficeindia.com. The movie collects ₹56.85 Crores in 6 days. Its eventual worldwide gross was ₹181.7 crore.
|Soundtrack album by Tanishk Bagchi, Rochak Kohli and JAM8|
|Released||10 October 2018|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Tanishk Bagchi chronology|
|Rochak Kohli chronology|
|1.||"Badhaaiyan Tenu"||Vayu||Tanishk Bagchi||Brijesh Shandilya, Romy, Jordan||2:19|
|2.||"Morni Banke"||MellowD||Tanishk Bagchi||Guru Randhawa, Neha Kakkar||3:18|
|3.||"Nain Na Jodeen"||Kumaar||Rochak Kohli||Ayushmann Khurrana, Neha Kakkar||4:34|
|4.||"Sajan Bade Senti"||Vayu||JAM8||Dev Negi, Harjot Kaur||2:32|
|5.||"Tujhe God me leke main"||Vayu||JAM8||Harjot Kaur||2:02|
- "Badhaai Ho". Box Office India. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "Badhaai Ho: Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana commences shooting of Junglee Pictures' 'Badhaai Ho' - Bollywood films to look forward in 2018 - The Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Badhaai Ho: Ayushmann Khurrana, Sanya Malhotra begin shoot for Amit Sharma's upcoming film- Entertainment News, Firstpost". 2018-01-31.
- "Amit Sharma on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- "Badhaai Ho Movie Wiki, News, Trailer, Songs, Cast and Crew and Release Date - Movie Alles". Movie Alles. 2018-08-18. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-08-18.
- "'Badhaai Ho' new poster: Ayushmann Khurrana and his family gear up to welcome their new member". Times of India. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Badhaai Ho trailer: Ayushmann Khurrana is embarrassed by his parents' sex life in hilarious new comedy". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Badhaai Ho Box Office Collection Day 6: Ayushmann Khurrana and Sanya Malhotra's Movie Continues to Rake Moolah, Collects Rs 56.85 Crores". LatestLY. 24 October 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Badhaai Ho - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Gaana.